AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pump from aging barrel to tank

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Pump from aging barrel to tank

Well, in all honesty Dan, the flow I had at 1.5gpm was a little on the slow side, which is why the auto shutoff became so important But with the same tubing my new pump will push that up to 3.5gpm, which in all honesty is probably the most I'd want (I've been thinking I may need to throttle it with a ball valve lol) as I prefer to mix the new with old slow enough to allow the fish to acclimate. They tell me they really appreciate it lol. Had I wanted to go to 1/2 tubing, I would have had to have picked up a much larger pump that puts out way too many gpm (I think the lowest flow rate one that had a high enough head was something like 2000gpm give or take) - it would have cost a lot more and I would have definitely had to throttle it way back, so the current arrangement actually works out pretty nicely, at least for me

Good point though!
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Silver Member

what is a good air pump to use for aeration in the aging barrels? I have a brute 55 gallon and a brute 32 gallon? the 55 gallon is 32" deep..

thanks

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    what is a good air pump to use for aeration in the aging barrels? I have a brute 55 gallon and a brute 32 gallon? the 55 gallon is 32" deep..

thanks
    For just the two barrels I use the Fluval Q1, it provides strong flow at the bottom of the barrels. The names of their pumps can be confusing because the Q1 has two outlets and the Q2 has one.
    Dan

Silver Member

Thanks for the recommendation dan..

Silver Member

A update to this thread. I did my first aging barrel tank fill last night after lots of start-up issues. But, not having to stand next to the tank and keep feeling the water to make sure that when my kid flushed the toilet or my wife did a load of wash, the temperature of the water changed. I am doing both of my tanks tonight. it only took me 18 months to get w/c right. thanks to all for your patience, suggestions and helping out this novice.

thanks,
    jim

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    A update to this thread. I did my first aging barrel tank fill last night after lots of start-up issues. But, not having to stand next to the tank and keep feeling the water to make sure that when my kid flushed the toilet or my wife did a load of wash, the temperature of the water changed. I am doing both of my tanks tonight. it only took me 18 months to get w/c right. thanks to all for your patience, suggestions and helping out this novice.

thanks,
    jim
    That's what it is all about Jim

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Silver Member

thanks for all your good input , rick !

Registered Member

Hey Rickztahone -- BRILLIANT hose!! I have fumbled around with a hose that doesn't have an attachment (to my Harbor Freight pump) for a long dang time....Thanks for sharing the link!!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by elbeeaz View Post
    Hey Rickztahone -- BRILLIANT hose!! I have fumbled around with a hose that doesn't have an attachment (to my Harbor Freight pump) for a long dang time....Thanks for sharing the link!!!
    My pleasure

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123