AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Aqua 22g Saltwater build

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Mr. Aqua 22g Saltwater build

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Geesh, and I thought it got here...
    Yup, REALLY hot, lol. People don't really go out in the summer around here, you can actually get heat stroke and is very dangerous. All pets must come inside

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Wow that's hot! MY thick New England blood would boil right out of me if I was there lol. At least you save on heating the tanks.
    This is true. Heaters don't go on for a few months during this time. My aging barrel also is much easier to heat so a big plus on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I hear ya Ricardo, my house is close to the same in the summer. I turn all of my heaters off for multiple months, it's actually kind of nice. I haven't yet needed a chiller for my nano but it would be a cool toy to have.
    Honestly, I was set on getting one because of the heat and then someone had an offer on a 1/5hp chiller that I simply couldn't resist.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Need people's opinion, which scape do you like for the 22g?

Rock Scape 1 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Rock Scape 2 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Rock Scape 3 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Only difference between 2 and 3 is that the arch is a little higher on one of them.

Keep in mind, this tank will be mainly euphyllia and RBTA's. The RBTA's I want to keep off on to one side and have their own little "island". Secondly, the rock structure on the left is rather branchy, would this be a problem for any euphyllia or RBTA's?

The highest that the rock work goes up to is about 8" I believe. The height of the tank is 12" and it will be BB

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Rick, I like either of the last 2, arches look natural and add depth. I think the island on the left would be fine for RBTA and the hammers on the right.

Real Name
    Matt

Just remember like I posted in the waterfall tank thread, you won't be filling the rimless tank all the way to the top so if it's 12" you won't be using 12". I fear with the arches you will be losing real estate as that high in the tank with no room above it you won't be able to keep much without it starting to go laterally and shade the bottom or just being right under the water line which IMO looks a bit weird.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Rick, I like either of the last 2, arches look natural and add depth. I think the island on the left would be fine for RBTA and the hammers on the right.
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Just remember like I posted in the waterfall tank thread, you won't be filling the rimless tank all the way to the top so if it's 12" you won't be using 12". I fear with the arches you will be losing real estate as that high in the tank with no room above it you won't be able to keep much without it starting to go laterally and shade the bottom or just being right under the water line which IMO looks a bit weird.
    I had you in mind when I was doing the scape. I can make it so that it only comes up around 7". I'm thinking that I can only fill up the tank to about 11", so I should have 4" above the rock

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Eric

I like the look of the 3rd landscape best.
    .................................................. .........................

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

I had you in mind when I was doing the scape. I can make it so that it only comes up around 7". I'm thinking that I can only fill up the tank to about 11", so I should have 4" above the rock
    Rick, what do you plan to put on the rock with only 4" of clearance? You will find not much will fit there.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    I like the look of the 3rd landscape best.
    Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Rick, what do you plan to put on the rock with only 4" of clearance? You will find not much will fit there.
    Not quite sure honestly. Additionally, this height may make it so that the top corals get too much light. May have to think things over

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I like the 3rd the best also. Do you think the extra $$$ was worth it for the low iron glass? I haven't seen these in person yet and the low iron is almost twice the price when comparing to standard glass for a 12 gallon.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by bamzam View Post
    I like the 3rd the best also. Do you think the extra $$$ was worth it for the low iron glass? I haven't seen these in person yet and the low iron is almost twice the price when comparing to standard glass for a 12 gallon.
    In one word, YES.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Zoa's don't mind light and they grow nice and flat.

Real Name
    Matt

Could save the space maybe get a small stick later on something that kind of tables.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Zach

Thanks for the feedback

Not quite sure honestly. Additionally, this height may make it so that the top corals get too much light. May have to think things over
    With such a shallow tank that maxspect won't be able to go over probably 20% intensity and there isn't going to be an option of placing coral in low vs high light. But, other than zoanthid,shroom, or Acan, not much else will fit in 4" of water.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Ricardo

Do you guys/gals think that is too much rock for such a small tank? I don't want to make mistakes early on that could have been easily avoided in the beginning. It just seems like many seem to remove rock down the line because it was too much. Is this like our equivalent of sand being too thick in our discus tanks?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Zach

Do you guys/gals think that is too much rock for such a small tank? I don't want to make mistakes early on that could have been easily avoided in the beginning. It just seems like many seem to remove rock down the line because it was too much. Is this like our equivalent of sand being too thick in our discus tanks?
    Ricardo, in my opinion yes. If I were to be doing what you are I would go with aquascape #1 and remove the small middle rock. This will get more negative space and give more room for coral growth. Just my opinion. 9/10 times people end up starting off with too much rock. Even if you don't house any SPS, you may be surprised how much an LPS can open up. Factor in that they will sting each other and that euphyllia especially, can sting up to 6" away, you will run out of room quickly.
    -Zach

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast