ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eradicating Bacteria

Registered Member

Default Re: Eradicating Bacteria

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    And yes, you can pour it right into the filter intake.
    I have a sponge filter so do I take it out and pour tetra safestart directly on it? With the fish still in the tank?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

You can dump it anywhere in the tank, it won't hurt the fish. I suggested putting it in the filter because that's where you want it to end up. You could just lift the sponge above the water and pour it around the top of the sponge, that might help the bacteria collect in the sponge where it belongs.

Did you get all the antibiotics out of the water?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    You can dump it anywhere in the tank, it won't hurt the fish. I suggested putting it in the filter because that's where you want it to end up. You could just lift the sponge above the water and pour it around the top of the sponge, that might help the bacteria collect in the sponge where it belongs.

Did you get all the antibiotics out of the water?
    Yes, all antibiotics have been completely cleared. I did a 100% water change after finishing the treatment.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Other than living in a sterile environment you cannot get rid of all bacteria nor would you want too. 99.99% of bacteria is either beneficial or of no harm. Right now you literally have millions of bacterial cells growing on your own body right now. It is pretty much impossible to answer your question unless you sent a fish in to a fish pathologist to isolate and determine the real problem. The reason no one else has answered is it would just be guess work at best.

-john
    Whoa. I feel like Mr. Burns on the Simpsons episode where he freaks out about bacteria! LOL

Registered Member

what is considered too much salt then? I hear 1 tablespoon for every 10. It seems the school of thought on salt has changed somewhat kinda sorta recently then maybe?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12