ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Background color options

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Background color options

Or you can cut it in sections. Check out Joey's socal meet video and he shows how he had to cut his background in 3 places

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Natalia Ramos

WOW, I would love one but they're so expensive for a 125 gallon!
    I found a cheaper one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1NM4RDQ2CL96Q

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

hi Everyone,
    I'm setting up a new 75g tank with universal rocks 3D background. It is still in the refining stage so no fish are in it.
    Now, I thought I had silicon seal the 3D background edges and crevices pretty good, but after a water test last night, water was still able to get in behind the background.
    Since then I've read several comments on stagnant water and how it can alter the water chemistry. Does anyone have a similar issue and can share their experience over time?

20160309_200809-1_resized - Copy.jpg
    Living proof that you most certainly CAN spray paint inside your tank. I completely repainted this background with olive drab, flat black and tan Krylon Fusion Paint. That's Star Board on the bottom. 96' x 27' x 27" 1147 liter.
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

20161215_034410-1.jpg Red Eagle from Kenny's Discus

Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    20160309_200809-1_resized - Copy.jpg
    Living proof that you most certainly CAN spray paint inside your tank. I completely repainted this background with olive drab, flat black and tan Krylon Fusion Paint. That's Star Board on the bottom. 96' x 27' x 27" 1147 liter.
    I drilled exactly 100 7/16" holes in this background. High and low. The trick is to place them where they won't show. NO stagnant water here. Behind the background next to the overflows (far left, far right), I have two pythons with short hoses sucking from the bottom and going over the overflow's edge. When changing water you don't even have to turn off the return pumps (3).

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

I drained the tank earlier and noticed water in back wall also drained out along with the rest of the tank water. This was a good sign. I figured at first, water must've gotten in from the top through the overflow and get trapped. That would be bad.
    Given the amount of water I plan on changing daily, hopefully everything will work out. In the long run though, buildup and stuffs, I'm not so sure.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by tvo View Post
    I drained the tank earlier and noticed water in back wall also drained out along with the rest of the tank water. This was a good sign. I figured at first, water must've gotten in from the top through the overflow and get trapped. That would be bad.
    Given the amount of water I plan on changing daily, hopefully everything will work out. In the long run though, buildup and stuffs, I'm not so sure.
    with frequent WC's, you should be fine. If you've ever looked at an HOB, you will see that when you turn it off, the water drains. There will be water remaining however. Over time, this area becomes very dirty and requires cleaning, even though you regularly turn it off and on and new water flows through it. An enclosed area behind your background will not be any different. Eventually a whole bunch of gunk will start gathering back there and will contribute to nitrate build up.

I would imagine that after a while of having this background, you will notice slightly higher nitrates even after a fresh WC's. I'm not sure how to fix this to be honest, but I believe this is what will eventually happen. I don't believe it will be overly detrimental, but I do believe this accumulation of gunk is not necessarily ideal.

When I installed my background, I made sure i siliconed all around the background. I over did it, but I did that on purpose. I never got water back there and never had problems in the 2 yrs it was running.

You can see my background in either of the threads in my signature.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Rick, for the comments.
    My 75g is very much similar to your setup. Well, i didn't use the whole silicon tube, only half, so water was able to get back there. lol
    I get what you saying about the HOB filters though. My current discus setup (for 2yrs) is a reef ready tank with a column built-in overflow, so obviously there are build ups, etc in there as well.

Real Name
    Heidi

So cool. Makes me want another tank just so I can put one of these backgrounds in.

We have a bristle nose pleco that cleans our textured overflow box and slate bottom in our koi tank so they are beautiful, look brand new. We also have a bristle nose plec in our discus tank. It cleans the smooth black overflow box and the tile bottom. I still need to scrub the discus tile bottom and bleach the white plastic rock weekly only because they're white and it's impossible for a pleco to keep it pristine like I want it.

Frosted window film. It is called "Ricepaper"

IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Discluv View Post
    Frosted window film. It is called "Ricepaper"

IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg
    Very pretty! It almost looks like fog.

Registered Member

Question Re: Background color options

Ordered a new tank for discus which will be my first for the species so very excited. My local aquatic supplier offers pre-fitted external backgrounds in blue & black. An old thread on SD mentions the risk of peppering when using black backgrounds, something Ive also heard elsewhere and have seen on fish myself. Some members on an old thread had posted pics of all kinds of backgrounds including yellow and lavender! I’m interested in either a (grass) green background or frosted background as is commonly used in paludariums. My main concern with background is finding the best option for displaying a variety of different colour ways of discus and I’m not sure a blue background will do turquoise variants any favours. The tank will have bogwood with rhizome type plants that will grow without soil so that I can maintain a bare bottom but won’t be so heavily planted the background disappears (the bottom will need its own colour planning no doubt!). Thoughts, suggestions n pics would be welcome

How did you attach this to your tank? Did you have to tape it?

Registered Member

Rick, if you’re asking me my backgrounds have all been pre attached at build stage. The opaque and colour backgrounds mentioned by other posters can be replicated using window privacy film or fablon/dc-x type products. If you have a credit card and some washing up liquid, they go on very easily
    Last edited by Angie1403; 08-06-2021 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Predictive text

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12