ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant blue wood shrimp

Real Name
    Heidi

Default Giant blue wood shrimp

From what I've learned, the biggest risk to discus health is poor water quality.

In between tank cleanings I get some food and waste buildup in my caves and I figured it would be much healthier if I got shrimp to cleanup some of this waste. So, I just got some giant blue wood shrimp today from wetspot. These shrimp are huge, about 3" and they will get to be anywhere from 4-7". I did a big nono I gave them a malachite formalin dip then I put them in my main tank. I added aquamedzyme and melafix to the tank and upped my drip drain setup to 100% wc daily.

I was a bit worried it would be too hot for them but they seem to be doing very good despite my 86-7 temp. They got right to work fanning their hands out, crawling in and out of caves and making short work of all leftover food and debris. My caves and crevices are now spotless. I'm nearly in tears and feeling rather spoiled . Did I do my afternoon vacuum? No. Will I be doing my normal nightly cleaning-? I don't think so.

Default Re: Giant blue wood shrimp

i keep amano and ghost shrimp in my tank, they are very interesting to observe, all their little claws picking up bits in sequence

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i keep amano and ghost shrimp in my tank, they are very interesting to observe, all their little claws picking up bits in sequence
    Do yours clean the tank good?

I had a ghost shrimp back when I had gravel in my tank. I loved how he blended with the white tank. I think he was pretty but he didn't keep things clean. I acidentally killed him when I was vacuuming one day. He got hit in the head with some rocks That's when I decided to go bb.

Real Name
    Phil

Sounds awesome... Never heard of these guys but very cool... Only worry is obvi disease and/or illness... I hope that gorgeous spotless tank of yours and your nice discus aren't in any trouble with the drop of these guys right in...

Do you not have the ability to qt?

How many did you add?

Heidi, stop thinking so much. And how big do the get??? Good grief... I might need those for fishing here in the low country.

Also, lower your temp if concerned. See how they do at 82. He'll, your discus can even do lower but try that first.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Any pics of your shrimp?

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Sounds awesome... Never heard of these guys but very cool... Only worry is obvi disease and/or illness... I hope that gorgeous spotless tank of yours and your nice discus aren't in any trouble with the drop of these guys right in...

Do you not have the ability to qt?

How many did you add?
    Thank you Phil. I added 2. All I have is a 150 storage tank with a big net but I think shrimp can climb out. Next time I will try using a tupperware for qt.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Heidi, stop thinking so much. And how big do the get??? Good grief... I might need those for fishing here in the low country.

Also, lower your temp if concerned. See how they do at 82. He'll, your discus can even do lower but try that first.
    They typically grow to only 4" in aquariums but they can get up to 7". I will lower the temp a bit.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by bamzam View Post
    Any pics of your shrimp?
    I will try to post some pics tomorrow. They're in the caves right now.

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by bamzam View Post
    Any pics of your shrimp?
    Sorry no pics. After the first day they got too scared to come out except at night. This is probably a good thing because they are really ugly- a cross between a huge roach and a brown shrimp. I don't know whether to scream or salivate when I see them. Maybe they will come into their own and turn blue as they mature. They sure keep things clean though!

are they something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8hjV3KZg0

a LFS had these, no one would buy them because they are so...well.... not cute..... they were offering them to me for 1/2 off

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    are they something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8hjV3KZg0

a LFS had these, no one would buy them because they are so...well.... not cute..... they were offering them to me for 1/2 off
    Yes that's exactly what my guys look like except mine seem blacker and their antler feelers on their heads are way bigger and more pronounced making them look very roachy. Here is what they're supposed to look like but they dont look anything remotely like this. Their cleaning skills and desire to hide more than make up for their appearance though. I am very happy I purchased them. It could be my guys are molting?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyFace; 02-01-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Real Name
    Naz

I thought Giant Blue Wood Shrimp are filter-feeding shrimp requiring a planted tank and they need hard water that encourages the blue color.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    I thought Giant Blue Wood Shrimp are filter-feeding shrimp requiring a planted tank and they need hard water that encourages the blue color.
    I agree. I read that they need hard water in order to turn more vivid blue. They came to me ugly dark brown though so I'm not sure if they were raised in soft water to begin with or maybe they are molting.

Like you, I also read that planted tanks are good for shrimp. The experts say that "vegetation provides cover, removes ammonia and nitrates from the water, and provide a good food surface." I have lots of caves that provides cover. Food gets caught in and around the caves so that provides food surface. I have no ammonia and nitrates so I don't need plants for that.

I was thinking, according to literature discus live amongst tree roots in soft acidic water darkened and murky with tannins and yet breeders raise them in bb tanks, some without even a single hiding spot and yet they thrive and grow even faster than their planted tank counterparts. I hope maybe my shrimp will grow faster too and thrive in a bare tank with lots of fresh water and fresh food.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFace View Post
    I agree. I read that they need hard water in order to turn more vivid blue. They came to me ugly dark brown though so I'm not sure if they were raised in soft water to begin with or maybe they are molting.

Like you, I also read that planted tanks are good for shrimp. The experts say that "vegetation provides cover, removes ammonia and nitrates from the water, and provide a good food surface." I have lots of caves that provides cover. Food gets caught in and around the caves so that provides food surface. I have no ammonia and nitrates so I don't need plants for that.

I was thinking, according to literature discus live amongst tree roots in soft acidic water darkened and murky with tannins and yet breeders raise them in bb tanks, some without even a single hiding spot and yet they thrive and grow even faster than their planted tank counterparts. I hope maybe my shrimp will grow faster too and thrive in a bare tank with lots of fresh water and fresh food.
    I use to have them once . They are very still and inactive . Mine were also brownish to red , but they looked cool to me . i keept them in planted discus tank .
    The only problem IMO they can encounter in a BB tank is the squicky clean water and enviroment, and thus not enough food for them.
    As you allready know they collect micron particles out of the water column with their tiny furry hands to feed themselves , and when the water is absolutely spottles i think they might not get enough food to eat . That just my oppinion as to why they thrive better in planted substrate tanks .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast