ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giant blue wood shrimp

Registered Member

Default Re: Giant blue wood shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I use to have them once . They are very still and inactive . Mine were also brownish to red , but they looked cool to me . i keept them in planted discus tank .
    The only problem IMO they can encounter in a BB tank is the squicky clean water and enviroment, and thus not enough food for them.
    As you allready know they collect micron particles out of the water column with their tiny furry hands to feed themselves , and when the water is absolutely spottles i think they might not get enough food to eat . That just my oppinion as to why they thrive better in planted substrate tanks .
    +1
    If they're eating off of substrate/surfaces, than they're not getting enough particles from the water...so basically they're starving. Whatever they're eating off of surfaces is also probably the incorrect diet, so keep an eye on them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

any update on these? are they still around? and are they bothering your discus at all ( 3-4 inch shrimp can have some fangs! right?!?!)

Real Name
    Heidi

Hi Dhavalsp. Sorry for the late reply. One of the shrimp died I believe the tank was too hot for him. I had it set to 88-89 degrees. I lowered the tank to 85. The remaining shrimp is doing great. I read that they are unable to harm other fish. He/she stays in the caves. I think he's scared of the discus and angels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12