AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best method of cleaning an old tank

Real Name
    Jim

Default Best method of cleaning an old tank

I'm cleaning out a tank that hasn't been used for years. Mostly basic grime etc but also a small patch where calcium depositsi formed around the water line. I usually clean out my tanks with a saline solution only but I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of safe solution that anyone has used. I don't want to use anything like Windex out of fear chemicals may leach into the tank sealant and wreack havoc on my livestock. I know there is a pet store product that claims to be safe and effective for inside and out, but my experience with it is that it doesn't do a very good job on much of anything.

Ideas/feedback would be appreciated

Thanks!
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

Default Re: Best method of cleaning an old tank

I've dusted off a few old aquariums and what I typically do is clean them with vinegar and then reseal them. A vinegar soaked sponge will get a good amount of the build up off and to get the last bit I lay the tank on its side and fill it with vinegar (so the vinegar pools on one side panel), leave it set in the garage for a few days, and repeat 3 more times to get every side. Sometimes the build up is really bad and etches the glass a little though.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TexMoHoosier View Post
    I've dusted off a few old aquariums and what I typically do is clean them with vinegar and then reseal them. A vinegar soaked sponge will get a good amount of the build up off and to get the last bit I lay the tank on its side and fill it with vinegar (so the vinegar pools on one side panel), leave it set in the garage for a few days, and repeat 3 more times to get every side. Sometimes the build up is really bad and etches the glass a little though.
    Pretty hard core but I imagine it would work. Wish I had thought of that when I bought an old 40gal breeder someone had used as a sump years ago Ended up throwing that one away

eventually the calcium build up actually etches the glass, so you may get it off, but it will sorta still look like it is there. I would try spraying it with vinegar. Alternatively you could put on some gloves and try some acetone on a clothe (many nail polish removers are pure acetone) Acetone evaporates quickly, and especially after rinsing the tank I would not worry about it. Actually a 50/50 acetone mix works wonders for getting grime off many things. Just don't use it on plastics as they will melt.. ie, maybe some sponges might melt.

Real Name
    Jim

good thought mee, I just may give some diluted acetone a try if nothing lighter will clean the tank - have plenty on-hand from my DICE overclocking days

Registered Member

To clean the calcium build up on the glass I use 1200-1500 grit wet sand paper, takes it off fast and surprisingly doesn't scratch the glass either.
    When I have an old tank to clean up, I wet sand the entire inside of the tank, dry, then beach out the entire tank with a bleach mixture of 1 cup of bleach to 1/2 gallon of water, scrub it down with a scotch brite pad and sponge. Rise many times (8-10 times), fill up with fresh clean water and add 4 times the recommended seachem safe, dain out again, put tank in place and refill and your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    good thought mee, I just may give some diluted acetone a try if nothing lighter will clean the tank - have plenty on-hand from my DICE overclocking days
    Hmmm, I am an overclocker, but trying to figure out/rember what DICE stands for. .. ahh just realized. Dry ice. Is it just used for cleanup after? I use it for cleaning chips, but primarily I build Multicopters and use it for cleaning flux after soldering. Be careful not to get it on the silicone seals though, likely would destroy them. Cosmo's idea sounds good too.

Real Name
    Naz

Vinegar works the best I cleaned two 35 gal tanks this afternoon.Tomorrow plan to sterilize them.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Hmmm, I am an overclocker, but trying to figure out/rember what DICE stands for. .. ahh just realized. Dry ice. Is it just used for cleanup after? I use it for cleaning chips, but primarily I build Multicopters and use it for cleaning flux after soldering. Be careful not to get it on the silicone seals though, likely would destroy them. Cosmo's idea sounds good too.
    Cool to meet another overclocker here mee! I'm known as MaadDaawg in the overclocking and gaming world lol. DICE is a mixture of Dry Ice and Acetone so you pour the acetone into the pot after putting in your Dry Ice. I found I prefer LN2 for extreme overclocking but haven't done any for several years. Sold my GPU pots but still have one CPU pot and Dewar so maybe someday .. it's fun to torture computers isn't it lol Still have my Phase Change Cooler too .. tempting

MD.David - I like your ideas, if I can't get it clean enough with good old elbow grease I'll give the sandpaper a try! Since it's such a small spot, Vinegar may be the answer too though .. thanks for all the good feedback all
    Last edited by Cosmo; 02-01-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Cosmo, you definitely have gone further than me. Granted it becomes an addiction at times, but I learned primarily out of necessity first from music mixing, then and now from video editing. Currently I am running a 9370FX with a Swiftech H320. The chip will behave at 5ghz when I have it dialed in, but after getting the Swiftech back from the shop recently after 6 months (me slacking on picking it up), I have lost the sweet spot so just runnin it at 4.4 till I have the time to really get into it. Really this chip was the beginning of the end for my real overclocking days since it is barely overclocked at 5ghz, and with 8 cores there aint much need to go further. Still miss my 1090t though. I really need to move up the GPU ladder though as I have been rocking a MSI 465 GE for far too long, and for that I will eventually add a loop from the H320 and decide if that is enough. Likely gonna sell it right about the time I have it perfect, as I am hoping to move back to the states soon, and don't fancy lugging a 50lb tower with me, Oh and you lost me again with Dewar.
    Last edited by mee; 02-02-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

For tanks that have hard water deposits I use this stuff called "Bar Keepers Friend". It works better than vinegar & we use it on the shower doors too. You can't use it with the scrubby side of a sponge or it will scratch the glass. Just a cloth or smooth sponge.

Edit.. I should add a note of caution, this stuff has detergent like ingredients and I fill the tank afterwards and soak. It must be cleaned out thoroughly.
    Last edited by DJW; 02-02-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

I got a 10 gal tank that was given to me. It had a mess of hard water deposits lines. Looked like the previous owner just let the water evaporate out over time. I used "Bars Keeper Friend" cleaner. I followed the advise from "DIY King" on You-Tube. It worked pretty good, but it didn't clean it all. I had also used 0000 grade steel wool. But no luck. Basically the glass is stained. I can still see some light fine lines on the glass. I think the most important thing is the rinse cycle. Just make sure to rinse very well. Soak and water change a couple of times before you start your water cycle for the new fish. It'll be just like almost new! Ha!

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Cosmo, you definitely have gone further than me. Granted it becomes an addiction at times, but I learned primarily out of necessity first from music mixing, then and now from video editing. Currently I am running a 9370FX with a Swiftech H320. The chip will behave at 5ghz when I have it dialed in, but after getting the Swiftech back from the shop recently after 6 months (me slacking on picking it up), I have lost the sweet spot so just runnin it at 4.4 till I have the time to really get into it. Really this chip was the beginning of the end for my real overclocking days since it is barely overclocked at 5ghz, and with 8 cores there aint much need to go further. Still miss my 1090t though. I really need to move up the GPU ladder though as I have been rocking a MSI 465 GE for far too long, and for that I will eventually add a loop from the H320 and decide if that is enough. Likely gonna sell it right about the time I have it perfect, as I am hoping to move back to the states soon, and don't fancy lugging a 50lb tower with me, Oh and you lost me again with Dewar.
    hey mee, yes it is additing I have multiple boards and hex core chips (12 cores) just sitting in the basement right now My current gamer uses an EVGA Z97 Classified mobo, an Intel 4790 "Devil's Canyon" multi-tasking quad core (8 cores), Corsair Platinum 2600mhz Dominator RAM, and an ASUS Stryx GTX 980 Ti. Have a custom water loop on the CPU (Swithtech block) using an internal 140 rad. The GPU runs so cool I just run that on air - strangely enough, I haven't really tried to overclock it Use it primarily to play UT3 lol Should take it down to the basement and freeze it and have some fun

Sounds like a nice setup. I am aiming for a 670 or 770 gpu, if I go any higher than a 70 series I will definitely have to upgrade my PSU which is only 700 watts, but it is true watts. I can't remember my ram maker at the moment. I was using geil, but found the ram I currently have for a good price, and it was well received. Stock speed is 2400 if memory serves me, but I am running it at something like 1866 until I get back into trying to get the cpu back up to speed. Mostly I need the power of the cpu for video rendering. I have a hacked GH2 so it's like 170mb/s video, which is on par with a good prosumer 4k camera. I forgot what it is, but the 9370 has some special function that actually makes it render faster than intel's.. or at least intel's fastest consumer chip from a year or two ago. Can't keep up with intel in real time FX stuff, but that's fine for me. Wonder if I could make a custom loop to heat one of my aquariums ? Half joking, but would actually be an interesting experiment. I am sure it could be done, it's a 200 watt chip that usually stays about 30c. BTW concerning DICE, would I be wrong to assume someone at some point has had things go horribly wrong when the dry ice is all gone, but the acetone remains?

Registered Member

Go buy a box of new razorblades and some vinegar. Then start rubbing away at the debris wit the razorblades (only do this if you have a glass tank). Another thing you can do if you have time and want to take the easy way out is get a towel wet with a water / vinegar mixture. You can then press this wet towel up against the dirty or grimy part of the tank and leave it sitting there making sure pressure is applied so the wetness is against the glass. Come back in about 24 hours and any debris / paint / dirtiness that was on the glass will literally fall and wipe right off once you remove the towel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast