AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 Discus grow out

Registered Member

Default 15 Discus grow out

So i Took the plunge again... Ordered 15 Blue snake skins from Rick at Canadian Aqua Farm(That he has raised himself ) that i received on Friday afternoon. 1.5"approx size right now in a 15gal tank I will run them in here till a little bigger/established and safe feeling(wanted to start on a 25gal but even in the 15 its like they can get lost if standing alone! lol) and im waiting for my 60Gal Cube to arrive Next week hopefully Which even then i will only run 1/2 Full i think at first instead of jumping through 3 stages of tanks....Running a air stone, Eheim 300W heater(yeah nothing smaller kicking around lol) and a Fuval 2 Submersible pump for flow that i had cycled already. couple pics here from first dayish to 1.5 days now Eating like little monsters too Cube Black worms. Doing 80-90% water changes daily with aged water to proper temp and Just Tap water no RO/Additives. which is what i am now slowly switching my Altum tank over too after having them for almost 2 months now(makes water changes easier when you can just take it out and pump new water back in ....Tho i need to figure a way to fill the holding tank easier.... but thats another story)

one thing id do is make lighter color back ground and paint the bottom of my tank from the underside when i get it. Light blue i think will be in order rather than dark blue lol

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: 15 Discus grow out

Half the battle with new fish is getting them settled and feed them their first few meals, you are on a good start.The last set of juveniles I got, it took three days before they started to eat.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Yeah thats my fear also and just not coming forward but was opposite with these little guys All they do is hunt for food everytime i turn around im like...really its all gone again lol

Registered Member

What do guys recommend to use to wipe down there tanks on water changing?

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Marco164 View Post
    Yeah thats my fear also and just not coming forward but was opposite with these little guys All they do is hunt for food everytime i turn around im like...really its all gone again lol
    Feed them perhaps five to six times a day and since they are in such a small tank 2 or 3 times of 100 % water changes would be helpful.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Marco164 View Post
    What do guys recommend to use to wipe down there tanks on water changing?
    I just use a soft sponge from a dollar store
    Quote from Colin Powell

Nothing wrong with using paper towelling for good clean-up of glass.

Registered Member

i was thinking about the floor i siphon it good but sure a scrubby on it would help lots, Im always freaked about buying cleaning things for house hold anyone got a brand or make of something they use ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Feed them perhaps five to six times a day and since they are in such a small tank 2 or 3 times of 100 % water changes would be helpful.
    I think i could get 2 water changes in a day if do one early before work or at least a 50% morning 90% evening (work usually fights the schedule, Feed in morning/ few times in the eve)

Real Name
    Jeff

I use a sponge from an Aqua Clear mini that's about 15 years old... ive been using it to clean glass since it was new and still works great.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    I use a sponge from an Aqua Clear mini that's about 15 years old... ive been using it to clean glass since it was new and still works great.
    Thanks snap i like that i am going to follow with something like that too

Registered Member

Just was refilling water tonight and tried getting some photos with my iphone

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thai Mounivong

Rick is quite reputable here in BC very nice snake skin.I will also have some available. Mine are breeding at the moment.

Registered Member

Update: Went to a bigger tank today. As my 60g Cube is out with a Chip and have a new replacement coming...Hate Transfers but i will have a bit of time in here for them and I can get the 60 when it comes painted up and plumbed(overflow drilled tank) and Not be panicing...Have a bit of melafix in the tank as i netted to transfer and they were not to happy about that so see a few dings on them and dont want anything going on(even tho i do 100% water changes) figure better safe then sorry.... Pics to follow in a bit letting them settle...Tho they are already food hunting and fighting for there space as usual but i wanna let them have there time in the dimmed light alone

Registered Member

Water change time fun pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast