ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ada Amazonia.

Registered Member

Default Ada Amazonia.

Anyone here know the buffering capacity of Ada Amazonia Normal? I know that it lowers PH and KH but am not able to find out how long this lasts for anywhere online. Thanks in advance for the help.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Ada Amazonia.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwdahc View Post
    Anyone here know the buffering capacity of Ada Amazonia Normal? I know that it lowers PH and KH but am not able to find out how long this lasts for anywhere online. Thanks in advance for the help.
    You can do daily water changes to get rid of the leeching. However, this will take several weeks to clear

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member nofearengineer's Avatar

I use ADA Amazonia extensively in my planted tanks. I treat it like a hot mess girlfriend. It sure is amazing, but I don't trust it a bit. I always give it at least a month to stop leaching ammonia. I had some really bad fish kills early on when using it. Live and learn. As far as its buffering capacity, it really should not be used for that, as like you said, it is only temporary. If you really truly want softer water, then RO is your best bet. If you inject CO2, then the aquasoil will play a smaller part, as it won't be "used up" as fast.

Real Name
    Filip

I haven't use it my self but fellow planted tank aquarists report alge outbursts due to leaching during first month or two.
    So if you plan to use it with discus don't put it right in the tank . Give it a month or two without discus.

Registered Member

Yes I have my tank completely set up with no fish in it. I have the same exact tank bare bottom with a sponge filter and heater I might raise my discus in until full grown and then move them to the planted tank. I just have not decided yet.

The tank has been set up and filled with no ammonia spike for 3 days now. I wonder if plants from my other tanks that I placed in there have some BB on them which is preventing the ammonia?
    Last edited by kiwdahc; 02-15-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Yes I have my tank completely set up with no fish in it. I have the same exact tank bare bottom with a sponge filter and heater I might raise my discus in until full grown and then move them to the planted tank. I just have not decided yet.

The tank has been set up and filled with no ammonia spike for 3 days now. I wonder if plants from my other tanks that I placed in there have some BB on them which is preventing the ammonia?
    Raising them BB separately from the display tank for a couple of months would be also what i would do .
    That way your display tank will also stabilize and mature , just like your discus will.

Its highly possible if you did add big ammount of plants ,that they carry benifical bacteria on their surface with them .

Registered Member

Not that big of an amount, But they will be completely spread in and dense within 3 months. This pleco is hiding inside the log, I am monitoring the ammonia 2-3x a day to make sure there are no spikes for his safety.

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg
    Last edited by kiwdahc; 02-15-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Registered Member nofearengineer's Avatar

Many, if not most aquatic plants actually use ammonia preferentially over nitrate as their source of nitrogen. This is why in the planted tank arena, we stock lots of plants right away in a new tank and do not wait for it to cycle.
    People say planted discus tanks are unnatural. I wish I could figure out why the Amazon is so muddy...with that bare glass bottom it has.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
    Many, if not most aquatic plants actually use ammonia preferentially over nitrate as their source of nitrogen. This is why in the planted tank arena, we stock lots of plants right away in a new tank and do not wait for it to cycle.
    +1 .
    All plants prefer ammonia over no2 and no3.

Registered Member

Considering it leaches ammonia, you could use a small amount for filter cycling. Ada is probably expensive, but some more cheaper brand could be used.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

That looks like a Gold Nugget Pleco! Which # is it? What are you feeding?

Looks good!

Registered Member

Sorry for the slow response. It is a L018, I feed it mainly algae wafer and zucchini/cucumber. I give it bloodworms about once a week as well.