ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: options for draining out aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Default options for draining out aquarium

So here's my dilemma- I plan on putting my new 60gal tank in my office at my business. The closest place to drain waste water is a sink that's about 50 feet away across our warehouse. I have a older submersible pump i use for pumping my aged water from a 44gal trashcan into my other tank when i do my water changes. im not sure what model or gph the pump is, but this takes about 10-15 or so minutes to empty out all 44gal from the trashcan into the aquarium. whereas this is fairly efficient at doing the filling from a trashcan next to my aquarium, im pretty certain it will be struggling to push water out from the tank, down a 1/2" diameter 50ft long hose n then up and into the sink.

im just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how i can efficiently get this done? My water changes already take 30min+ as is with my other tank.. takes a little less than 10min to drain, then about another 10 to fill from the trashcan, then another 10min to fill the trashcan back up. draining this tank is super easy - its next to our front door, and i just siphon the water out with a garden hose, n let it drain into the huge planter outside our front door.

anyways, back to my second tank - ive considered just buying a second trashcan to dump my waste water into... but another brute with wheels will run me another 80 bucks.. but then it also adds another step n will take more time... before it was drain... refill tank... refill aging can... but this way, it'll end up being drain into trashcan. refill tank.... refill aging can... drain out drainage can.... im fairly certain this will add at least another 20min+ to my water changes..

my best solution - i think i may buy a larger sump pump and garden hose, and just pumping the water directly from my tank to the sink..

im considering this model.. you can directly attach a garden hose to it- http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-...ords=sump+pump

these are just my thoughts at this point, and im hoping maybe someone can chime in and pitch in some suggestions, or maybe think that this is a good idea?. im shooting for maximum efficiency, since ill be doing water changes pretty much daily.
    Last edited by djdirte; 02-01-2016 at 03:44 AM.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: options for draining out aquarium

I think you are on the right track and would go with the larger pump and hose and run it to your drain... Seems like the easiest way with less steps...

This is coming from a guy who does near daily 100% water changes with buckets still... granted it's only a 55 gallon but still a PIA... The way my office is set up it is far too winding and far to run a hose and when I used to dump it outside it was killing the grass... So I get my bicep workout in and haul the buckets. I am pretty efficient with bit but wouldn't recommend it.

I would grab that pump or the biggest one you could afford and fire that water away...

Oh and office tanks rock!!! Good luck and share some pics and enjoy it!!!

Real Name
    Jim

I believe the pump you are referring to uses oil internally, you would NOT want to put that into your tank as eventually the oil leaks killing all the inhabitants. Double check on this before buying, but I "think" I'm right.

Couple options, easiest first.

Use a python and attach it to the sink you have access to. You can buy 50 foot pythons and you can also buy 10 and 20 foot extensions so distance is not problem. This would also give you the ability to clean the bottom of the tank at the same time as draining.

FORGOT - The pumps I mention have a 1in intake so no Eheim. Any inline pump will do, Quiet ones are inexpensive but don't last long. Eheim does make smaller pumps and you'd want one that uses either 5/8s or 1/2 in tubping. Edit out Ehime 1260 or 126 2 from the following. Eheim double tap connectors are the best quick disconnects available though, and use of eheim tubing is a must to fit the connectors. Sorry

Setup a drain that hangs on the back of the tank like the intake of a cannister filter. The most attractive way to do that is to buy an Eheim Istallation kit (the filter intake one, not the one with the spraybar) and connect a length of hose (Eheim 5/s8ths - 509?) to run it to the floor and attach it to an Eheim ____ or ____ pump. I believe it takes the Eheim 1/2in tubing out but either way, connect a very short lenght of tubing directly into the female end of an Eheim Double Tap connector (quick disconnect with a ball valve on both sides). Obtain suffienct Eheim tubing of the same type and connected one end to the male side of the Eheim Double Tap Connector and run the other side to your drain. Keep the hoses disconnected when not in use, connect when you want to drain and start the pump. First you will have to prime the drain (a one time only deal) by unscrewing the little cap on top and filling the tubing with water (make sure the valve is closed off the pump). Once water reaches the top of the tubin and spills into the tank screw the little cap back on - whenever you open the valve water will start to flow out of the tank. Kick in the pump and the water will drain quite rapidly. The length of the installation kit you put into your tank will determine how far down it will drain.

The Python is so much easier
    Last edited by Cosmo; 02-14-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    TONY

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Pro Model 4000 / 5000 or 6000. Powerful little pumps & won't break the bank. I keep the '5000' close cause you never know. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Cosmo, Eheim pumps use metric fittings of course, but are easily changed with adapters to use standard US sized fittings and hoses. I first did this years ago. Who wants to pay extra for imported fittings no one can even buy at the hardware store?
    Darrell

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Cosmo, Eheim pumps use metric fittings of course, but are easily changed with adapters to use standard US sized fittings and hoses. I first did this years ago. Who wants to pay extra for imported fittings no one can even buy at the hardware store?
    The Eheim barbs are essentially 1/2in and 5/8ths inch equalivants, no problem fiitting 1/2 in or 5/8s hose to them. You could even buy a simple 5/8ths to 3/4in adapter if you wanted to use 3/4 hose. No need for metric fittings. Best bet though is to use the Eheim hose with the Eheim double tap connectors if you want quick disconnects - work great and each side has a ball valve.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...