ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First crack at Discus-Only tank. Major DIY projects.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Default Re: First crack at Discus-Only tank. Major DIY projects.

Alrighty!! finally finished my tank stand I forgot to take pictures of the stand by itself, but oh well.

IMAG1729 (1280x724).jpg

IMAG1730 (1280x724).jpg

IMAG1733 (1280x724).jpg

So.... for the finish, i realized i went a little too thick on the application on the interior. took the advice of one of my buddies and used two VERY THIN coats of stain. I used the exact same stain as the interior(Minwax Polyshades Black Satin). I used a microfiber cloth to do the application. Basically, i coated fairly liberally initially, and then i rubbed the cloth with the grain to even everything out, kinda 'removing' all of the excess. Coating took a lot of patience to make sure it went evenly, especially since it is black stain. I had originally intended to make it come out solid black, but after two very light coats, it had this very nice sortof rustic, elegant look to it. I left it at that since i liked the way it looked a lot. I probably should have sanded everything smooth before the stain application, because i can actually feel the slightly rough texture of the wood still. If you have any questions about my stand build, ill gladly do my best to explain, and even work up some dimensions for you.

If you are curious what filtration im running: I have a (1) sunsun canister filter, (1) Aquaclear 70, and (1) ATI hydrosponge pro #3.

my 29gal will be set to the side as my QT, and ill likely use my hydrosponge filter for it when it's necessary to do QT.

IMAG1732 (1280x724).jpg
    a shot of my office as a whole

Now i must patiently await for my tank to finish cycling. In the meantime, a buddy of mine who recently started a business fabricating things out of acrylic will be cutting/building my hood for me out of black acrylic once i can work up a hood design n get him some dimensions. Its nice to have a friend with a laser cutter. Im going to ask him to take some pictures during the build so i can have some documentation of it too. Thanks for following and stay tuned!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    JJ,

Stand looks killer! Love it, really nice work, wish I was handy like that! Awesome job!!

Keep being patient! It is the strongest virtue in this hobby!!!

Lastly, you asked for my opinion on where to get your fish... I posted some reasoning in another thread a bit back, check it out here : http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=#post1196824

It basically gives my simple math solution on going with an unknown source as opposed to a proven one, breaking down the actual spend...

I didn't like that you said "but I'd rather learn and make my discus-only tank mistakes with fish that I am more comfortable losing." I get that you had a bad experience to start, but you have to also realize that you started with bad stock, didn't have them in ideal conditions nor were you caring for them under ideal husbandry. It seems to me like you have really dug in and are prepared to care for them this time around... If that is the case why would you loose anything? If you are going to feed well, change the water properly and keep the tank maintained, you should not experience losses... All of that being said, if you are going to invest that time and effort, why not do so knowing you are going to be growing out some beauties as opposed to some muts...

Now, this is all granted that your buddy doesn't have the best stuff... For all I know he could have a nice set-up, big healthy discus and could offer you nice stock... If that is the case and that's what you want to do then by all means, but I would vet him first and see...

Do yourself a favor and look at a page like Kenny, see first hand what you could be getting and for how much, do your homework and my simple math problem in the link and make that decision, but if the money isn't that far off, which I doubt it would be, I would sure as hell go with the people who have been doing this for years as opposed to some unknown...
    thank you for your input. i read over your cost analysis, and i completely see your point. ill definitely be sure to inquire with my buddy before i pull the trigger with him, if i decide thats what i want to do. otherwise, im definitely going to go with one of the sponsors here It seems likely that will be my route anyways.

Real Name
    Phil

That's stand looks really nice ! Love the way it looks and that antique look! Nicely done man

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    That's stand looks really nice ! Love the way it looks and that antique look! Nicely done man
    Thanks!

this came out nice!

you can get some stability or a filter squeeze from someone w/ a clean established setup to speed it up.

i've always used fish to cycle, and i never lost one. they seem to go for the ride of cycling one they are in there. the only issue i had LONG time ago was i dropped a plec in mid cycle ( i got lazy with the testing and assumed it was done) and it died w/ minutes. it was high nitrite

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    this came out nice!

you can get some stability or a filter squeeze from someone w/ a clean established setup to speed it up.

i've always used fish to cycle, and i never lost one. they seem to go for the ride of cycling one they are in there. the only issue i had LONG time ago was i dropped a plec in mid cycle ( i got lazy with the testing and assumed it was done) and it died w/ minutes. it was high nitrite

thanks!! yeah, we have a cycled 125g up in the front of our shop. i wouldve squeezed out some of the buildup in the filter medium to kickstart my cycle, but that tank came down with some ick right before i was about to do it. last thing i need is to intro some parasites to my new tank. ill just continue to be patient, and hope something starts to happen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by djdirte View Post
    thanks!! yeah, we have a cycled 125g up in the front of our shop. i wouldve squeezed out some of the buildup in the filter medium to kickstart my cycle, but that tank came down with some ick right before i was about to do it. last thing i need is to intro some parasites to my new tank. ill just continue to be patient, and hope something starts to happen soon.
    It will work, just takes time. Matrix sells stability to jump start it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    It will work, just takes time. Matrix sells stability to jump start it.
    I added some Tetra Safestart already. If things dont move at all in the next day or two, i may just try it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

UPDATE: no water parameter changes after checking this morning. my patience is growing thin. considering its been over a week since i added safestart, and not even an ounce of change. after researching heavily on TSS, it seems Tetra recommends NOT adding any dechlor/prime before adding TSS, as they state it will affect it's efficacy. I remember using some prime prior to seeding my tank. It seems i may have 'killed' the majority of whatever bacteria that were existent in that bottle due to the prime + higher ammonia concentration(4ppm) at start. Ive since changed water down to 2ppm. Also, went to my lfs to see if they could sell me any seeded media, and they sold me a 500g bag of seeded media for $10. I shouldve gone this route in the first place, but didnt due to the fact that i didn't want to transfer any potential baddies that may be present in their media. I figure im going to have to wait about a week from this point anyways, since A) I still want to check via fishless cycle to see if the amount of bacteria in the newly bought media is enough to handle the 4ppm ammonia dosage overnight and B) i still need to shop around for stock anyways + shipping time. I figure since im doing a 100% water change before adding new stock, i can avoid the majority of whatever potential bad stuff may have been transferred.

Tank is currently dosed at 2ppm ammonia. I plan to wait til it drops down to .5 or less, then redose to 3ppm, then 4ppm until i can dose at 4ppm and get a full ammonia & nitrite drop within 12-24hrs.

Real Name
    Ricardo

UPDATE: no water parameter changes after checking this morning. my patience is growing thin. considering its been over a week since i added safestart, and not even an ounce of change. after researching heavily on TSS, it seems Tetra recommends NOT adding any dechlor/prime before adding TSS, as they state it will affect it's efficacy. I remember using some prime prior to seeding my tank. It seems i may have 'killed' the majority of whatever bacteria that were existent in that bottle due to the prime + higher ammonia concentration(4ppm) at start. Ive since changed water down to 2ppm. Also, went to my lfs to see if they could sell me any seeded media, and they sold me a 500g bag of seeded media for $10. I shouldve gone this route in the first place, but didnt due to the fact that i didn't want to transfer any potential baddies that may be present in their media. I figure im going to have to wait about a week from this point anyways, since A) I still want to check via fishless cycle to see if the amount of bacteria in the newly bought media is enough to handle the 4ppm ammonia dosage overnight and B) i still need to shop around for stock anyways + shipping time. I figure since im doing a 100% water change before adding new stock, i can avoid the majority of whatever potential bad stuff may have been transferred.

Tank is currently dosed at 2ppm ammonia. I plan to wait til it drops down to .5 or less, then redose to 3ppm, then 4ppm until i can dose at 4ppm and get a full ammonia & nitrite drop within 12-24hrs.
    Well, at this point, you have bypassed the idea behind a fishless cycle because you introduced foreign (potential) pathogens. You can keep up your "fishless" cycle going, but just know that if you happen to have issues down the line, you cannot rule out an introduced pathogen by way of LFS media.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Well, at this point, you have bypassed the idea behind a fishless cycle because you introduced foreign (potential) pathogens. You can keep up your "fishless" cycle going, but just know that if you happen to have issues down the line, you cannot rule out an introduced pathogen by way of LFS media.
    This lfs has all separate tanks, and the one they keep the seeded media in is in a separate room with only a few tetras in it for the sole purpose of ammonia upkeep. Its the only reason I figured the risk behind the purchase would be minimal, if at all. Maybe i shot myself in the foot, but ill also hope not. This decision was at the recommendation of another friend of mine who owns multiple tanks, and has gone this exact same route as well, with no ill-effect.

by no means am i trying to negate or rationalize your statement, and i agree with you completely about the potential hazards.

Real Name
    Ricardo

This lfs has all separate tanks, and the one they keep the seeded media in is in a separate room with only a few tetras in it for the sole purpose of ammonia upkeep. Its the only reason I figured the risk behind the purchase would be minimal, if at all. Maybe i shot myself in the foot, but ill also hope not. This decision was at the recommendation of another friend of mine who owns multiple tanks, and has gone this exact same route as well, with no ill-effect.

by no means am i trying to negate or rationalize your statement, and i agree with you completely about the potential hazards.
    So long as you understand them and are looking out for any potential signs of illness at onset then you will be fine. If something were to happen it would happen in the first few weeks.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

So long as you understand them and are looking out for any potential signs of illness at onset then you will be fine. If something were to happen it would happen in the first few weeks.
    gotcha. I already have paraguard, metroplex, kanaplex, methylene blue, and prazipro on hand for any potential illnesses that may arise, as well as my 29g for qt on standby in case any of my anticipated arrivals may need immediate separation as they're settling in.

Real Name
    Ricardo

gotcha. I already have paraguard, metroplex, kanaplex, methylene blue, and prazipro on hand for any potential illnesses that may arise, as well as my 29g for qt on standby in case any of my anticipated arrivals may need immediate separation as they're settling in.
    QT is very important. Hopefully you will never have to use any of the meds

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

QT is very important. Hopefully you will never have to use any of the meds
    im hoping so too.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast