AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First crack at Discus-Only tank. Major DIY projects.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: First crack at Discus-Only tank. Major DIY projects.

No treatment should be necessary until something serious is observed. For now, observation and WC's are all that is needed.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    No treatment should be necessary until something serious is observed. For now, observation and WC's are all that is needed.
    understood. Im crossing my fingers, and just hoping its just a little late to the food party.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by djdirte View Post
    understood. Im crossing my fingers, and just hoping its just a little late to the food party.
    This is typically the case. Remember, in ANY group, there is always the bottom one in the totem pole.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Phil

Yea I would treat normally. I wouldn't even raise the temp honestly but that's your call. They are very new, young and timid. Give them time and let things progress naturally.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

UPDATE: 5/4/16- All discus eagerness is still growing by the day. A few even grew courageous enough to start picking off the FDBW cube in my hand before i had even stuck it to the glass this morning. However, the one the one that has my concern still has not eaten. If it has, its when im not paying attention. He sticks to the whole group, but just seems to wander around whenever food is present. Will continue to monitor him and keep upon regular husbandry/feeding schedule.
    Last edited by djdirte; 05-04-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

It will eat eventually, especially if all others are eating.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

It will eat eventually, especially if all others are eating.
    Im keeping very optimistic. Im certain it will follow the lead of the rest of the group. The rest of the group has taken to quite a variety of foods ive tried so far- FDBW cubes(aquaticfoods brand). FD Beefheart mix cubes(from a sample pack that came with my FDBW). NLS pellets-takes a while for them to finish them since they're fairly hard at first. Zoomed spirulina flakes. N of course, live cali blackworms(direct from aquaticfoods-they go nutso over these).

I am going to try one of the beefheart recipes from here soon.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

ugh. so.. i noticed shortly after my last entry that the one in question was acting quite recluse. it was staying away from the group and in the corner facing the backwall. upon extended observation, i noticed it was occasionally swimming with one clamped fin for a little while at a time, and scratched a few times on both the aquarium floor, as well as the water heaters.

any suggestion at this point would be helpful

Real Name
    Ricardo

Seems bad but these things can happen. Keep the water clean, keep observing it, and if any new symptoms come up, let us know.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Seems bad but these things can happen. Keep the water clean, keep observing it, and if any new symptoms come up, let us know.
    definitely. i dont want to jump to any conclusions just yet. just did a 75% water change. i will likely do two tomorrow just for good measure.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

UPDATE: 5/5/16- First feeding of today- it seems another blue diamond has decided not to eat. and a 3rd seems to show very little interest. I fed live blackworms in hopes to entice the original one in question, but it seems something is affecting a few others.

The other 5 were eating normally, however two of the silver pigeons are displaying some peppering but their curiosity and attitude still seem positive. im not sure if this has anything to do with the others.

I decided i am going to start a thread in the emergency section after i do a thorough test of my parameters.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

UPDATE: 8/4/16 Well... its been a hair over 3 months since my last update. I havent taken a single picture of my crew since my last update because i wanted to just surprise myself with my progress. They have been growing steadily on a diet of home made beef heart mixture and FDBW. They love both and always seem hungry for more. They are fed anywhere from 3-5 times daily, depending on my work load/schedule, and also based on the how long it takes them to finish the last feeding. My current water water parameters have been extremely consistent, and are as follows:

Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, Nitrate: ~5ppm, KH: 5ppm, GH: 12ppm, TDS: 210, PH: 7.8. Using a mixture of 60%tap/40%RO(I was using RODI in the beginning, but am currently bypassing the DI) Water temp: 83F

Unfortunately, the BD that was reclusive did not make it. It never brightened up or showed any confirmed signs of illness. Its unfortunate, but I feel lucky that the other 7 seem to be doing well. Anyways, here's my updated pictures:

aug04-1 (1280x724).jpg
    aug04-2 (1280x724).jpg
    aug04-3 (1280x724).jpg
    aug04-4 (1280x724).jpg
    aug04-5 (1280x724).jpg
    aug04-6 (1280x724).jpg
    aug04-7 (1280x724).jpg

The silver pigeons seems to have grown a little bigger than the blue diamonds, but not by much. They were inititially a little bigger anyways, so im guessing they are just a few weeks older. Peppering comes n goes in the silvers, but I had expected that due to my black background. One of the blues seems to have a much deeper blue tone to it than the others, and I am very anxious to see how his coloration develops. If i had to guess, i would say they've all grown about 1" in the last 3 months or so. I am not sure if this rate of growth is as expected, so hopefully someone can chime in.

I am probably going to be doing updates more regularly, from this point, so stay tuned!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678