AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: A Camera's Journey..... Continues on...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: A Camera's Journey.....

Al, the camera is closer to you right now than it has ever been throughout the whole journey!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

One more trick if you're using a lower shutter speed is trying to predict and follow the movement of the fish as you take the photo. In other words before you click you should be following the fish, and after you click you should still be following the fish.

But yea, simply put

Higher ISO = more light, but more noise/grain Every camera is different as to how high you can raise the ISO before getting too much grain, or noise that may be unpleasant to the eye.

Low film speed = more light, but longer exposure time, so more blur for moving objects or even stationary objects unless you have a tripod. In general a film speed of 80 or more can get sharp images with a steady hand and nothing moving fast. Simply put it is frames per second. So 80 would be 1/80th of a second that the eye is open. raise it above 800 and you can get most fast objects sharp.

The bottom line is more light equals more potential control, but when dealing with live fish that may not be used to bright light, it is not always possible. However if you have the means try a light coming in from the side or both, another from the top and if you have a background that will let a little light through it, you can put one back there too. if it doesn't stress the fish you can have allot of fun with this kind of setup for pics. If not, you can still have allot of fun on a well lit day since again you have allot more room to play with the settings before things get dark. I personally love very high film speed shots at low aperature and low iso. But everyone has their own taste, and there is really no wrong way to do it.

Then there is aperture, which on auto lenses can be in camera, but on manual lenses is...well on the lens. This is simply how wide the eye of the lens is open. A lower number is more open, and gets you more light, but shallower focus or less range in focus which can result in a soft or blurred image unless you have the focus spot on. A higher number lets in less light, but gives more focal range so images are in general more sharp. Every lens is different, so some may be softer or sharper than others.

Real Name
    Ricardo

OHHHH, one last thing! Devon, there is a flash in the box as well! Put it on the camera, point it up towards your ceiling and it should make a big difference in your pictures. It provides the "more light" in the equation.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

So I was able to get a few pictures that came out o.k still learning how to use this thing lol. Took a few car shots, fish shots and some decorations on my porch. The weather is not so fair this weekend so probably wont get any good landscape shots.
    CAMERA 004.jpgCAMERA 007.jpgCAMERA 099.jpgCAMERA 095.jpgCAMERA 079.jpgCAMERA 043.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good so far Devon!

Ricardo, Its very weird to know my camera has gone all over the country and is now literally 40 minutes drive from my house.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Al, I feel I should go take a picture of you with your own camera!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Ok Al sign me up. Remember back before the days of digital I was a part time photographer. Still have my old Cannon AE-1. Use to know how to develop my own film and such. Hope you do not cause that flame to be rekindled....

-john

Lol...glad to hear it John! Looking forward to the pictures and if you do fall back into the hobby,well worse things could happen I guess.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Given his member spotlight is bound to be released any moment now, that would be doubly cool.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Make the drive and catch the man smoking a cigar

Great pics btw. Really nice car!

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well Looks like I'm getting the hang of this aperture and shutter speed deal. I took some better pictures of the fish and some salt water shots. Pretty overcast day but I was able to snap a shot of the blue sky poking out. Hope I don't flood you guys with too many pictures, it's just nice to be able to take nice pictures. You see things is such a different way.

IMGP5081.jpgIMGP5078.jpgIMGP5067.jpgIMGP5073.jpgIMGP5023.jpgIMGP5025.jpgIMGP5026.jpgIMGP5027.jpgIMGP5039.jpgIMGP5053.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

Nice pictures Devon. I never played with manual settings. It looks like it's making a nice difference with your fish pics. I see in your pics something I noticed, too. A dark spot just 2:00 of center. I never went looking for it to clean it, but i was able to use the native program on my computer to "retouch" it. It did a good job. I also cheated and used the cumputer's program to raise the brightness level on some of the pics. Just sharing.
    Steve

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Thanks, all the pictures are not edited. Editing is a whole other topic I don't understand.

Real Name
    Eric

Those are some fantastic shots Debow. Nice!
    .................................................. .........................

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Super nice pictures Devon, I noticed that shot with smaller apertures. Everyone has sure done mighty fine with this camera.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Some pictures for all of you in the warmer regions. We were blessed with a small snow storm last night and figured I'd share some good old New England weather. First two pictures were taken Saturday after a rain shower the rest today. Nothing like April snow showers killing May flowers!
    IMGP5124.jpgIMGP5125.jpgIMGP5136.jpgIMGP5138.jpg

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast