ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Shutter Speed example via Time-Lapse

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Shutter Speed example via Time-Lapse

In the following video you will learn a little about how Shutter Speed impacts a photo.

In the most basic terms I can put it, the faster the shutter actuates, the more it has the ability to freeze motion.

Conversely, the slower the shutter actuates, the more it has the ability to blur objects that are in motion.

Keep these two things in mind when watching this video:

How does this help us with discus taking pictures?

Simple, discus move around quite a bit, the faster your shutter speed, e.g. 1/200 of a second, the more likely you are to stop their motion which is what you want.

If you have a slow shutter speed, say 1/10 of a second, chances are that your photo may come out blurry.

Now, finally, you may ask, why not just shoot at really fast shutter speeds all the time? Truth is, you CAN, technically, but you will have to either open up your aperture which narrows your DOF (depth of field) and/or you would have to raise your ISO which in turn makes your picture really grainy.

This is the photographers balance dilemma and one that needs to be understood so that you know when to use which setting.

Hope that is a little helpful

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Re: Shutter Speed example via Time-Lapse

Always good to think about your goal with the image at the get go.
    If freezing the action is the most important thing then some part of DOF or ISO has to be sacrificed, as Ricardo has pointed out.
    Some shots are only there for a few seconds, if that, so planning ahead will likely help create more useful images.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Shutter Speed example via Time-Lapse

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Always good to think about your goal with the image at the get go.
    If freezing the action is the most important thing then some part of DOF or ISO has to be sacrificed, as Ricardo has pointed out.
    Some shots are only there for a few seconds, if that, so planning ahead will likely help create more useful images.
    agreed. Planning is a great tool in photography, but also, as Stan has mentioned, that split second shot can also happen, and I have missed many because I was simply in the wrong settings in Manual mode. This is the only time I would advocate actually switching that dial over to Auto

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com