ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Discus keeper

Registered Member
    Real Name
    J

Default New Discus keeper

Hello!
    So, I finally took the plunge and got some discus. 5 of them. Settling into their new home well, it has been a week. Two fully settled (as in happily pester my hand as I do daily cleaning). Other three are getting there. They came from a great little dedicated aquarium store in my town that has been there since the 80s.

I have 5 adult discus in a 55 gallon well planted tank. I ran it first for a year with just plants and some smaller fish (neons, glow light types). Went for a tall bowfronted one to make sure plenty of swimming and turning room. A week ago I added 5 discus. Three 5ish inchers, a 6 inch all beautiful large round and healthy looking and a little pale bug-eyed stunted 4 incher. Intend to let the littler fish stay and live out whatever time the have in too warm water, though the discus clearly have some interest in eating them...as they dwindle will just be a discus tank.

84.5 F, 0 ammonia/nitirite. 5-10 ppm nitrate. 6.8-7.2 ph (tap water is high so with daily water changes stays in that range). Daily small water changes (10 gallons) with larger ones twice a week (15 gallons). I test water every large change day. I think all is well but wanted to ask on a few things -

Pecking Order - They are working this out. I have guesses as how it will line up from watching. Is endless minor bickering just part of having them, or in time should they establish an order and moderate it some? Not terrible, no injury but the prettiest one is somewhat relegated to the hiding cave...anytime he comes out the fish angling for the top spot immediately chases him back there. I make sure he gets fed, and he is not hurt but wondering if I should accept that he is likely to be bottom fish and mostly be a hider? Sad if so as he is one of the nicest looking ones. I am inclined to leave it be as long as no injuries are happening.

Feeding - At the 5-6 inch size what is best for feeding amounts? Currently feeding 9am, 1pm and 5pm. Morning and evening feeding offer discus flakes. Mid-day always a frozen food (I alternate between brine shrimp, bloodworms and beefheart. Feed one frozen cube amount (defrosted and dribbled in make sure it gets eaten before messing the tank). They flakes are offered in about the same size as a frozen cube amount. This sound right? They all eat anything I give them happily.

Odd behavior - One discus is a little odd. It is the largest. He does not engage in aggression and the other do not get aggressive with it. He seems almost outside or above the pecking order, but...when others chase to much he tends to swim over and get between or nudge them. Like he is breaking them up. My guess is he might be top fish?

Thanks for any thoughts, like most new discus keeps I am excited and full of new questions. I chose to stick them in a glass box for life and want to make sure it is old age that gets them not poor care.

Default Re: New Discus keeper

Welcome to simply discus, J.
    Nothing of what you describe seems unusual or odd in any meaningful way, including your feeding routine.
    Your discus appear to be displaying what most other discus groups will do, including the pecking order behavior which may continue on & off, to some extent or another, for the entire time you have them - nothing to be concerned about at this point.
    Best of luck to you.

Real Name
    Phil

You should really increase those water changes and bump the temp down a bit...

Real Name
    Naz

Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus. Do not know if you have watched this video by the owner of this site, if you have not then spend an hour of your time and watch it https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    J

Thanks all.

discuspaul -Good to hear. Thanks.

Phillydubs - Thank you. Any suggestion on temperature? I aimed for the middle of the opinions I came across reading up. Suggestion on water change increase? The test kit had led me to current schedule as well as my tap water having a bit higher ph (7.9) Larger frequent changes were keeping it a bit higher and I wasn't enthusiastic about using chemicals to try and alter ph and was trying to avoid too significant a ph change from a WC. Tap water tests with 0 nitrates, I use Seachem Prime in it for the changes and match the temperature to within about a degree. A method more complicated than tap water is not appealing but could be looked into if it was really a major benefit?

Akili - I had seen the video before I got them while searching around for information, thanks. Just watched it again after your reply reminded me of it and it was even more helpful with questions on my mind.

I appreciate the helpful feedback.

84.5 temp is ok, but 82 will do.
    Your fish would benefit from larger % wcs - to at least 25% as a minimum, but 50% or more would be best.
    Don't concern yourself with a modest resulting differential in the pH of your tank water with the increased % of wcs. Don't resort to chemicals to alter the pH.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

some of my larger discus also break up battles. their behaviour is so cool.