ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hello from SW Indiana

Registered Member nofearengineer's Avatar

Default Hello from SW Indiana

Hello, folks.

Just your friendly neighborhood Electrical Engineer / aquarium nut signing in.

Ever since I got my first issue of FAMA 25 years ago, I have wanted a discus aquarium. I'm finally going to do it.

I have ordered a 240 gallon display aquarium, and plan on setting up a "sandy jungle" type discus community tank.

I have quite a bit of experience with high-tech planted tanks, and have realistic (I think) expectations for combining my passion with my dream fish. This is my current 75 gallon display tank.

1918899_1017498708310622_2557329060782675208_n.jpg

I hope to learn a lot from this forum. I like what I have seen so far. Passion with pragmatism.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: Hello from SW Indiana

Very nice tank! Welcome aboard. Looking forward to updates on your new discus project!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Beautiful tank. I had a tank with Tropica049 as foreground and loved it. I wish I could do a whole carpet of it in a future build. One thing to keep in mind for planted tanks, while they are gorgeous, they do not prove to be the best conditions to grow out younger discus. However, you can bypass this by simply buying adult discus and understocking your tank. I think this may be the best approach for you if your intent is to go this heavy in planted and co2 as in this 75g example.

Oh, and welcome to SimplyDiscus

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Beautiful tank. I had a tank with Tropica049 as foreground and loved it. I wish I could do a whole carpet of it in a future build. One thing to keep in mind for planted tanks, while they are gorgeous, they do not prove to be the best conditions to grow out younger discus. However, you can bypass this by simply buying adult discus and understocking your tank. I think this may be the best approach for you if your intent is to go this heavy in planted and co2 as in this 75g example.

Oh, and welcome to SimplyDiscus

Thanks! Yes, the plan is to buy 8-10 sub-adult discus from a local breeder (who knew there would be one in Evansville, IN?!...such luck!), with a big school of rummynose tetras, some sterbai cories, and a couple bristlenose plecos. I don't plan on growing anywhere near that dense...I have no illusions about being able to keep the water pristine with that many hiding spaces (I just wanted to convey at least some skill with water chemistry knowledge and maintenance). Since the 240 tank is so tall (31 inches), and discus don't particularly love high light, I'm going to go with mostly swords, anubius, java fern, crypts, aponogetons...your basic medium light plants that become special with CO2 addition.

I like what I have seen so far on this forum. Passion with realism. Sooo much to learn!

Bryce

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
    Thanks! Yes, the plan is to buy 8-10 sub-adult discus from a local breeder (who knew there would be one in Evansville, IN?!...such luck!), with a big school of rummynose tetras, some sterbai cories, and a couple bristlenose plecos. I don't plan on growing anywhere near that dense...I have no illusions about being able to keep the water pristine with that many hiding spaces (I just wanted to convey at least some skill with water chemistry knowledge and maintenance). Since the 240 tank is so tall (31 inches), and discus don't particularly love high light, I'm going to go with mostly swords, anubius, java fern, crypts, aponogetons...your basic medium light plants that become special with CO2 addition.

I like what I have seen so far on this forum. Passion with realism. Sooo much to learn!

Bryce
    Once again, welcome Bryce .

8-10 is a good number IMHO. I am not sure who that local breeder is, but I know we have a few in the forum that may be around your way, however, I will simply say that the discus that our sponsors sell will typically beat any LFS or local hobbyist. This of course depends on who your local hobbyist is. I am not trying to coax you in to saying who it is, simply trying to tell you that a sponsor may be a better option for higher quality discus. You can always reach out to our local members in that area and ask them to see if they know of that local breeder. Good luck in your venture and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Are you aware of Rocky Mountain Discus in Indiana?

Yes...he's less than 10 miles from me. No shipping for this guy! And raised in the same tap water as I have to boot.

Real Name
    Naz

Hi and Welcome to SimplyDiscus.Beautiful tank Thanks for sharing.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Bryce
    Welcome to the forum, Bryce
    I don't know what your view or belief is regarding the size of sub-adult discus, but in a planted environment it's suggested you go with discus of no less than 4" in size, preferably larger, and very few hobbyist breeders grow their discus out to that size before they put them up for sale - most sell them around 2.0" -2.5", and that's far from being sub-adult. So it may be very wise to look to one of the forum's sponsors for your fish, as they would carry the size you that you should place in your planted tank.
    All the best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Bryce
    I don't know what your view or belief is regarding the size of sub-adult discus, but in a planted environment it's suggested you go with discus of no less than 4" in size, preferably larger, and very few hobbyist breeders grow their discus out to that size before they put them up for sale - most sell them around 2.0" -2.5", and that's far from being sub-adult. So it may be very wise to look to one of the forum's sponsors for your fish, as they would carry the size you that you should place in your planted tank.
    All the best to you.
    Yes, I am thinking of 4" fish, minimum. Rocky Mountain Discus is so close, and is a commercial operation. However, I am getting mixed info on the current status of his place...something about remodeling...I'll find out more. I've got months, and I'm definitely not going to rush it.

Real Name
    Phil

Welcome! Amazing 75! So lush! Really nicely done!

As said already, you just can't go wrong with the sponsors here... Can't hurt to look when you are ready, or if you want to go sandy jungle maybe try your hands at some wilds?

Anyway, can't wait to see what you do! Good Luck!

Registered Member

Yes, I am thinking of 4" fish, minimum. Rocky Mountain Discus is so close, and is a commercial operation. However, I am getting mixed info on the current status of his place...something about remodeling...I'll find out more. I've got months, and I'm definitely not going to rush it.
    I heard the same thing some time back. Not sure of the current status. I have never dealt with RMD, but did see some fish from there a few years back. They were big and beautiful. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Welcome! Amazing 75! So lush! Really nicely done!

As said already, you just can't go wrong with the sponsors here... Can't hurt to look when you are ready, or if you want to go sandy jungle maybe try your hands at some wilds?

Anyway, can't wait to see what you do! Good Luck!
    Thanks for the kind words!

I am an Engineer, so I always plan (overplan? ) things far, far in advance.

Funny you mention wilds...my "dream" would be some Heckels, willischwartzi's in particular. However, while I do have a 75 gpd RO unit at my disposal, I'm a little intimidated at the thought of acclimating true wilds to my local water. Permanent RO usage is just not realistic unless I want a $500/month water bill.