AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 240 Planted Discus Community

Registered Member nofearengineer's Avatar

Default Re: 240 Planted Discus Community

Sung to the the tune of Carly Simon's "Anticipation"....

13151859_1088989734494852_8289979953511948151_n.jpg

Otherwise known as "proof a Fusion 700 air pump will power 12 sponge filters from a single output".

Luckily it will...the other output got really, really weak. I hate when products don't last.

Stability don't fail me now...I want to order some feesh very soon.
    People say planted discus tanks are unnatural. I wish I could figure out why the Amazon is so muddy...with that bare glass bottom it has.

Whoah....developments.

Well, the neck injury that has been kicking my butt bore some more ill-tasting fruit yesterday. I had to get an MRI, and I about flipped my lid when I came out from under the general anesthesia in recovery. Like people rushing to hold me down while I screamed like a crazy person. I laugh about it now, as it was like it wasn't even me, but at the time I was terrified, like I was in an alien abduction or something. HAHA, my abs, arms, and legs are still sore from all the struggling I must have done. They were probably glad to see the viking go.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I went home and prepared for my new fish this to be delivered this morning.

A picture of the racks I built for QT. Luckily, they fit perfectly in my kitchen (being single is amazing ehehhe).
    20160615_033755_resized.jpg

After a night of fussing over heaters and water (including managing to set a probable world record for instances of spilling it, washer full of wet towels agghhhhhh), the anticipated knock on the door finally came at 9AM.
    20160615_090643_resized.jpg

I was so amped, I literally had the fish floating in no more than 5 minutes. They were pretty lively, splooshing around in their bags. Some water had leaked out inside the box, but each fish still had plenty in its individual bag. Nice job, John.
    20160615_092754_resized.jpg

I gave them 30 minutes to temperature match, then just drained the bags and plopped them into 84F water.

The Japuru Greens seemed honest to god non-plussed. Within 30 minutes, they were all swimming around, with some even seeming like they were looking for food. I can't wait to give them their first food tomorrow morning.
    20160615_101601_resized.jpg

The Heckels are worrying me a bit. While they initially got nice and pretty, (like the photo), they've gotten a little dark, and are all huddling in the corner. They're pretty scared. I have taken a big sheet of cardboard and blocked out most of the window you see, so they are in much less light now. Hopefully they will relax a little and come out.
    20160615_101554_resized.jpg

By the way, these are all cell phone pics, so please excuse the quality. At some point, I'll get my DSLR out and do them proud.
    People say planted discus tanks are unnatural. I wish I could figure out why the Amazon is so muddy...with that bare glass bottom it has.

Real Name
    Ricardo

That light may have been the cause of skittishness. Keep an eye on them and don't turn on any lights on the tank for a few days.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

It's funny. The Greens are actually doing all their pecking order business already. I noticed two of them had lost their bars, and wouldn't you know it, it really does mean relaxed and confident. Those were the two that were already bossing others around haha.

Hopefully the Heckels will be a little more calm in the morning.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

First congrats on the new fish. I suspect you will find the heckels more shy then the greens. You would have been ahead if you had painted the bottom, side and back of your QT. Can the fish see thru the bottom of the tanks? If so place a thin layer of sand (SFS) in the tank. Also when I added IALs to my heckel tank it seemed to have a calming effect. You can also add rooibos tea to the water may help tremendously with calming the heckels.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    First congrats on the new fish. I suspect you will find the heckels more shy then the greens. You would have been ahead if you had painted the bottom, side and back of your QT. Can the fish see thru the bottom of the tanks? If so place a thin layer of sand (SFS) in the tank. Also when I added IALs to my heckel tank it seemed to have a calming effect. You can also add rooibos tea to the water may help tremendously with calming the heckels.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat!
    13412975_1114486148611877_6830864756278952422_n.jpg
    They are doing much better this morning. Their enthusiasm over some frozen bloodworms assured me all was well. They went nuts. They're still not as outgoing as the Greens, who already think they own the place, but they're coming around.

The tank is on a plywood shelf, so they can't see through. I put a sheet of cardboard in the window to cut most of the light as well. Maybe I should have painted the back black.

I'm going to see how they like some Hikari bio gold tonight, and then do a water change.

Real Name
    Phil

Really awesome all around! Give them some time and they will all be begging like little puppies!!

Congrats on all the new additions!!

My Heckels eventually figured out the goodness that is FOOD.

Oh, and that my hands are the source of it.

Here they are looking for more after they ate all of their first tentative scoop.

I also took a short video if the Greens in the tank below.

There is one smaller one that has turned his bars off and thinks he runs the show already. He's probably going to be my favorite.

Thanks for update and nice additions, I'm awaiting the look of this final setup and the driftwood all together

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

So how have the last 2 month's been treating you? How's the tank doing?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Bump?

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

any updates???
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910