ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tape worms

Default Re: Tape worms

The pair of fish that I saw what was obviously strings of tape segments in are homebred fish. But I have bought Angles, Pearl Gourami's, Guppies, and BN Plecos from outside sources. I don't treat while the fish are in QT unless I see a problem. I just wait and introduce a sacrificial lamb from the fish room. If all goes well for several weeks, I move the fish in QT to the main fish room. I use the same equipment on all tanks in the fish room, and I move fish around all the time. About 6 months ago I added mystery snails from my tank at my shop to the fish room. That's all I know.

The sugar theory sounds logical to me, as well.
    Mama Bear

Hi Liz,
    Careful with those Snails. Snails in general can carry many different kinds.of worms.
    Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Liz,
    Careful with those Snails. Snails in general can carry many different kinds.of worms.
    Hth,
    Al
    Just what I wanted to hear (not) Can you send me a link or give me more info, please?
    Mama Bear

If you do a google search for "tapeworms and snails" you will come up with a ton of info..

This article ison tapeworms and poultry but had good general info..
    http://www.organicvet.co.uk/Poultryw.../tape/tape.htm

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Its a bit off topic here... but this...http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....me-a-tapeworm/

Has some interesting info.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Its a bit off topic here... but this...http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....me-a-tapeworm/

Has some interesting info.
    Al
    Anyone else have the munchies for some praziquantel after reading that article?

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Anyone else have the munchies for some praziquantel after reading that article?
    I feel like I should say something like "I am not advocating medicating yourself with praziquantel intended for your fish", just that video made me feel like all humans have a fairly high chance of being carriers of something in the tape family.. After 30+ years keeping fish, maybe my chances of carrying a whole array of tape worms and their relatives is higher than most. I am guessing most wouldn't want to fess up if they have had any such critters, but it has me wondering.

OK, I have Praziquantel now. I haven't used it in about 5 years, but also am thinking with discus it is a bit different, since it says to dose once and not change the water for 7 days. Especially if I dose the fry I would ideally like to keep up with my regular feeding and at least daily water changes. So if I do 80-90% water changes is it safe to assume I can pretty much do a full dose of Prazi after each water change?

Mee, forgive me...I was concentrating more on my own problem than on your problem. It doesn't sound to me that your fish have tapeworms. Prazi only works for tapeworms and gill flukes. If you have picky eaters it is more likely that you are dealing with hex.

When you order meds from Jemco always tell them how much water you change and how often. They are very nice there. They'll figure out how much of the medication you need to complete treatment. If you buy metro for hex tell them how much water you change and that you want to treat at the rate of 400mg per 10 gallons. The instructions on the label are for lesser mg. per gallon.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Mee, forgive me...I was concentrating more on my own problem than on your problem. It doesn't sound to me that your fish have tapeworms. Prazi only works for tapeworms and gill flukes. If you have picky eaters it is more likely that you are dealing with hex.

When you order meds from Jemco always tell them how much water you change and how often. They are very nice there. They'll figure out how much of the medication you need to complete treatment. If you buy metro for hex tell them how much water you change and that you want to treat at the rate of 400mg per 10 gallons. The instructions on the label are for lesser mg. per gallon.
    Liz, it's OK, but I am mostly concerned with gill flukes, as I am pretty sure I can see some near the outer gill on a couple fish. I am not the type to medicate without reason, but because prazi is safe, and because there is always a chance of tapeworms in healthy food, and well, because I have it, I figure I might as well run a treatment. If what I think are gill flukes fall off, awesome. If tape worms fall out, well it will be interesting. Another reason is that I will be selling fish locally, and I don't want to be that foreign guy that spread gill flukes to their prized fish. It is hard enough to do business without knowing the language well, so I really need to be on my game here.

good thinking
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    good thinking
    Thanks, but not such good typing food was supposed to be fish.

So back to the original question what was the dose per gallons you used, and how often? On mine it says 10 gram per 1000 gallons of "pond" water. I will probably hold off on dosing for a couple of weeks since I have a fresh batch of 1 week old fry in one tank.

they say pond water because people use it in their ponds. I used the dosage on the container but since I change water every day I always replace the amount that I've taken out with each WC.
    Mama Bear

OK, thanks Liz, it sounds logical to me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234