AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evil Intent

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Evil Intent

Heard the competition results and my little gator scored 79 and some change. Here is the categories for scoring.

50-60 … Needs improvement
    60-70… Average
    70-80… Above Average
    80-90… Excellent
    90-100… Superior
    There were 94 images entered in the three competitions. In the colored competition the entries are split in the A (advanced) and B (beginner). There were 28 entries in the beginner category. The scopes run from mid 70s to 86. There were three winners in each competition and the scopes for those images run between 82 to 86. Overall the image quality seemed quite good and I was happy with my score.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Not sure about who judges your competitions, but all scores, critiques etc are really judge dependent. So what works for one judge is a discard for another. Be that as it may when I enter photos in my camera club monthly competition, I never re-enter an image, thinking I might get a friendlier judge. I try to make better images.
    So you have to ask yourself, if presented with the same subject, how would I shoot it differently? Get lower, different lighting, different BG, shallow DOF, more bracketing of exposures, DOF, wait for the Egret to sit on the Gator.......
    There is always room for improvement. The good thing about camera club competitions is if there are from time to time themes that make you shoot out of your comfort level.
    Your photography has improved just on Simply so the 90+s are coming! You live in a great area for nature photography so there are lots of opportunities to work the same subjects, no excuses

(Last fall I placed an UW image of a squid in our monthly CC competition. The judge said "nice shot of an octopus...out"; didn't even make it to an HM. Three months later the image won three major awards including one in Nat Geo, so go figure.)
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Pat

Well Stan, it helps if the judge understands what he is looking at lol. Very cool on the win from Nat Geo. For this competition there were three judges. I presume all three judges had input into the score but I do not know that for sure. Good question to ask at the next meeting.
    Pat

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very good result Pat! Very proud of you.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Very good result Pat! Very proud of you.
    Thanks Ricardo, you guys mentor well

Real Name
    Pat

The competition results are public. My little gator scored 79.92. Here's the scoping categories.

50-60 … Needs improvement
    60-70… Average
    70-80… Above Average
    80-90… Excellent
    90-100… Superior
    Link to the http://orlandocameraclub.photoclubse...onResults.aspx.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    The competition results are public. My little gator scored 79.92. Here's the scoping categories.

Link to the http://orlandocameraclub.photoclubse...onResults.aspx.
    Nice, but I do not believe that first place should have got 1st place. At least the category I clicked on that was highlighted.

edit, in the other categories, there are some really nice shots, and creative

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123