AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Best way to heat my fish room?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Default Best way to heat my fish room?

Hello I currently am planning my fish room and decided to heat the room rather than heat the tanks for multiple reasons. I won't have lids on half of the tanks so will I have humidity build up? The room is insulated with 4 in thick foam and the room is sealed very well. I will be heating the tanks to 82 so I will need some sort of heater and a way to remove the humidity. What type of heater should I use since the room is 10x10?
    Could I exchange the humidity with the rest of the house and how?
    If the room is air tight how should I get fresh air into the room?

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Best way to heat my fish room?

First get a good dehumidifier. They produce a LOT of heat. In a room that small it maybe all you need. If you still need additional heat nearly anything will work. Back when I did this I found I need the room at roughly 85 to keep the tanks at 82. I got tired of sweating the entire time I was in there and went back to tank heaters several years back.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Jim

Problem with sharing the humidity is you'd also be sharing the heat, or, allowing some of the heat to escape. Is the fish room attached to the house or free standing? If you don't pass out after a couple minutes in the room, there is fresh air already getting in

We got one of those little Dyson Heater Fans for our basement, which gets extremely cold in the winter and that little thing is amazing at keeping the room comfortably warm, they are obscenely expensive though.
    Last edited by Cosmo; 02-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

reach out to the heating and cooling guys there may be a air exchange system they could build for the purpose to move to other areas of the house.

I heated the entire basement when I was raising angels. I got real expensive and in the winter the humidity made it's way thru the house. I had mold growing upstairs and upsetting my wife and kids. I was not making enough money off of it even though I selling 1 to 2 thousand angels a month. I finally had to get out of it. I do agree with John though about the heated room. I used to go in mine with just t-shirt and cutoffs on.