ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a new light fixture :)

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Got a new light fixture :)

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Its been a real long time since I kept Marine. I've kept sebae, tomato and percula clowns.. never any high tech corals... just live rock and anemones. I really enjoyed keeping tangs as well and I had several Lionfish. . My son keeps twisting my arm to set up another tank.. We will see. I will be watching your journey closely Ricardo!

al
    Cool Al. I've been reading so much about anemone's lately but my concern is so many people saying that you need a very well established tank to introduce them. I've asked specifically how long, and almost all come back with at least 6 months to a year! That sounds so crazy to me but so many people are saying it that I'm thinking it may be true. Luckily I have the bulk of the expensive stuff bought, tank and light, lol. I have a skimmer lined up from a local reefer. I will be doing a shoot for him and his GT-R soon so he's giving me a great deal on that lol. I will make my own sump and I already have a return. The next most expensive thing will be my stand. I so over complicate stands that I am scared to even assign a budget to the build.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Nice fixture, i am currently using the MAxspect for freshwater, the one at 8k. Incredebible quality.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by david p. View Post
    Nice fixture, i am currently using the MAxspect for freshwater, the one at 8k. Incredebible quality.
    I agree. I was hesitant about the 16k but knew I was going to use it for SW and not FW. However, I ramped up the white LED's and I don't think it is too blue. I will install them soon on my discus tank just to see how I feel about them.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Build may be delayed a while. Not sure how long but family vacation money is a priority right now. Will try to get stuff here and there but this will definitely push it back some.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Build may be delayed a while. Not sure how long but family vacation money is a priority right now. Will try to get stuff here and there but this will definitely push it back some.
    Rick, you need to get your priorities straight. Feeding your family? Mortgage? Vacation? Pshawww! All these are secondary to your aquarium hobby. Just remember that your children will take stale bread more easily than your fish. You owe it to your readership to regularly blow all your cash and post your latest builds online!
    .................................................. .........................

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    Rick, you need to get your priorities straight. Feeding your family? Mortgage? Vacation? Pshawww! All these are secondary to your aquarium hobby. Just remember that your children will take stale bread more easily than your fish. You owe it to your readership to regularly blow all your cash and post your latest builds online!
    Let me print this out and show it to my wife....lol

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

So, got around to temporarily installing this light on the discus tank. Still have my reservations, but it is brighter. I compared both simply by seeing how much I would be able to stop down before/after. Its about a 3 stop difference roughly.

Here are pics:

This is with the Aquatic Life LED light:
    ƒ/7.1
    ISO 400
    1/10 SS

DSC06805 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

With Maxspect:
    DSC06809 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

ƒ/10.0
    ISO 400
    1/10 SS

It allows me to take better pics without the flash, but still not the greatest. I didn't try shooting with wider aperture, but I figure it will be better since it will allow me to increase my SS

This is with the blue channel at 100% as well. Super, super bright, but not the type of lighting I am looking for in FW:
    DSC06812 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

And random shots taken with the new light:
    DSC06813 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC06814 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC06815 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC06821 by Rick Vasquez, on FlickrDSC06824 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    Last edited by rickztahone; 02-28-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12