ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Take Pictures?

Default Re: Why Take Pictures?

All really nice shots Al. I especially like the boats in the fog.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Thanks Len.. Those gannets were from Quebec , Bonaventure Island. You really should visit there if you can...Its amazing, The whole Gaspe Penisula is. Its been too long since I have been back there.. but one of these summers. I would love to see what my images would be like now.

Read up on it here..
    http://www.apogeephoto.com/aug2006/llrue_gannet.shtml

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Looks to be about an 8 hour journey from here. I can see working it into a camping trip and doing one of the boat tours.

Len

Looks to be about an 8 hour journey from here. I can see working it into a camping trip and doing one of the boat tours.

14 + hours for me... but next to the Everglades in Fl...Its my favorite area. Just beautiful!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Ricardo,
    I have a few old pictures as well.. This was a picture of an old picture I took for my relatives , it was a restoration of the only picture of my grandmothers wedding in Italy. I made some canvas prints as well .. It was a pretty messed up image. Brought alot of smiles to my mom, and uncles.

Attachment 94711

Theres magic in an old photo
    , even if it isn't in the best of shape.

al
    What a true statement. You've inspired me to take more day to day shots like I used to. I actually started earlier today with my son in the living room

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Al, great stuff. Man I love the Gannet images. I could spend a lot of time with a colony like that!
    I think taking photos is a process that develops with time behind a camera. So many people get hung up on the technology that they forget to simply look. I had a pro tell me once that when he is home, he sits with the camera in his hand, eyes closed and works all the controls. He wants to never think about mechanics while he is in the field. The more time you spend with the camera the more it becomes an extension of what you see. And the more you look, the more you see.
    I will never be a pro, but I sure love the process of seeing and creating an image, trying to tell a story and maybe having a few other people enjoy what I have seen. This was really true with my underwater work because so few people get to see those sights. Land is a bit more of a struggle! In the end though, I do it just for me because it gets me outdoors experiencing nature.

I have to say I have learned so much more about photography with the digital age. The instant feedback is a great teacher. Finally to complete the process, I am learning how to make a decent print and mat it. The print is the ultimate endpoint for me and it is a new challenge.
    I don't think I have your resolve to go through tens of thousands of slides that I have sitting in binders, some from places I will never get to again, but some of the shots should be brought back to life for my grown kids because they will never go through them!
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

That one really caught my eye too.
    President - North American Discus Association

Thanks Stan,
    My pictures with digital are better in many ways than my old slides and film. That instant feedback is definitely helpful. Its also helpful when you arent limited to 36 shots a roll. Now with digital you can take hundreds faster and cherry pic the few you like.Its really helped many I think get acceptible pictures right off the Bat. I think the biggest benefits though has been on the post processing side. Its possible now to make pictures that were good into great ones.Even bad pictures can be improved greatly with lightroom,darktable,gimp etc. Post processing with film was also done to a degree but much less so. Digital files are just easier to manipulate.

Still, I will not ever part with my film cameras...Im like that. I enjoy traditions and using old things ( hence my love for legacy manual lenses).. I don't know how many images I will go through as its time consuming but I am trying . My kids are into photography now and may go through my pictures one day...I hope. But I want to not only share the image, I want to share the memory...maybe turn it into a journal or book for them. Itd be really cool if they one day visited some of the places I shot at. one can hope.

Al

Another reason to take Pictures... Family time. We have alot of fun taking Pics! Kids took these of each other.

ethan 2.jpg

becky1.jpg

becky2.jpg

ethan1.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-18-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Rick

Burrowing Owls?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Burrowing Owls?
    Yep... they actually live in holes in the ground. They are pretty good diggers but often use other animal burrows like gopher tortoises. Besides being burrow dwellers they are easy to see in the daytime. One of my favorite birds.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Rick

Never seen one, although owls are my favorite bird. Had a chance to see a pair of snowy owls once.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have tried for years to photo snowies...but they are sporadic here in CT...and Ive never been able to make it to any sites whereone had been and was still there.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, I think it is awesome your kids share your passion with the camera. Nothing better then a family hobby to be shared and cherished. Hopefully one day your kids will drive into your past slides and pictures but placing the material into albums with your notes makes for meaningful family treasures and legacy.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I came up on a rattler when I was like 3 or 4 camping with my family. I was out in front, and didn't see it till I was right up on it. Luckily it was eating a mouse. It's weird, cause I was so young, that I didn't recognize it as a snake, but blurted out "Look at that big poisonous worm!". I was always fascinated that my instincts told me that thing is poisonous even at such a young age.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12