ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 1500 watt sinking water tank heater

Real Name
    Boyd

Cool 1500 watt sinking water tank heater

Good day,
    I have purchased off Amazon, the STC-2000 relay box for controlling aquarium heaters. After a few attempts at understanding the wiring configuration ( I have limited electrical experience ) I succeeded wiring my 300 watt heaters in my 75 gallon tanks :-) This particular model is rated at wattage sufficient to control a 1500 watt pond/trough de-icing heater. I am curious if anyone has used this combination for heating aging water barrels ? After I age my water for changes, I usually use a few heaters to match temperatures before change out. It takes some time, this 1500 watt would speed up the process to 82 degrees. Thanks for your suggestions :-)

Default Re: 1500 watt sinking water tank heater

I use a Ranco controller purchased from Jehmco to control three suspended 250W heaters in my 200 gallon storage barrel. I like this controller because even though it has a digital readout, when the power is interrupted for any amount of time, when it comes back on the controller returns to the same setting I had set before the power went out. It doesn't go to some "default" setting like some controllers do.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    I use a Ranco controller purchased from Jehmco to control three suspended 250W heaters in my 200 gallon storage barrel. I like this controller because even though it has a digital readout, when the power is interrupted for any amount of time, when it comes back on the controller returns to the same setting I had set before the power went out. It doesn't go to some "default" setting like some controllers do.
    I use the Ranco for my tanks because I like the fact that you can set it to either a 1 or 2 degree offset. On my tanks I use an old Goldline controller that Jehmco used to sell before the Ranco's came out. I have 2 350 watt heaters in each storage tank so without a heater they overheat.

Just be careful you never run you barrel dry if it's made of polypropalene or another plastic as the heaters will burn through the bottom ... been there done that If you suspend them in the water column, make sure you don't deplete the barrel to the point the heaters are exposed to air. Some will turn off, but if you have titanium heaters they'll start melting themselves - very great danger of fire.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Boyd

Yes indeed...safety hazards ! I was thinking of using it also on my 275 gallon water tote sitting on my back porch. The particular model has metal guards to keep heating elements from touching plastics, etc. However....I will be Home to monitor. Thanx for your replies Jim and Don. Where did you purchase your controllers ?

Real Name
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Luth View Post
    Where did you purchase your controllers ?

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html
    Last edited by Wes; 02-20-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Same with me. Also, if you have any questions, just call. They are very helpful on the phone.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I use the STC-1000's on the ageing barrels. I think these are good for up to 10 amps, and they resume after power outages.

Boyd,
    You should take a closer look at the rating for the STC-2000 controller. It looks to have a 7 amp maximum and at 1500w you will be at 12 amps if the supply is 125volt.
    Last edited by DJW; 02-20-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: amps

Real Name
    Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    I use the STC-1000's on the ageing barrels. I think these are good for up to 10 amps, and they resume after power outages.

Boyd,
    You should take a closer look at the rating for the STC-2000 controller. It looks to have a 7 amp maximum and at 1500w you will be at 12 amps if the supply is 125volt.
    Thanks Dan, the STC-2000 model I bought off Amazon is rated at 10 Amps, with 110volts. I will drop wattage and reconfigure/reconsider game plan.