AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fry Bloating and dying before free swim

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nathan

Default Fry Bloating and dying before free swim

I have come upon a new issue in my quest for artificially raising fry. On the second day many of the fry are beginning to bloat. By day 3 only a few are free swimming and all of those who bloated are now dead. Does anyone know what causes bloating? It looks like an air pocket formed? I cannot find any information anywhere on this. I had this happen to a batch of Angel fry and now it has happened to a new batch of discus. Any information would be great.

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nathan

Default Re: Fry Bloating and dying before free swim

FullSizeRender 9.55.28 PM.jpg

They start out looking like this but then slowly get a bit larger and then unfortunately die off

Registered Member

How many days old?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nathan

I'll see one or two get it and die off around the second day...on the third day the majority have bloated and eventually die. Last time it happened to about 300 angelfish fry. I thought it was a fluke but then it happened to a batch of discus. Only about 8 survived out of 150 and they are actually doing well so far. However as I am happy 8 survived I am puzzled to what happened to the rest of them?

Registered Member

All I can see from the Picture is an empty egg sac and no yellow egg yolk formula,
    Discus sometimes do puff up after dieing.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 02-23-2016 at 04:02 PM.

It looks like a wiggler not a free swimmer

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nathan

The pic was taken on the second day after hatching so they are not free swimming or eating yet. The problem is that they are bloating on the second day and then dying on the third.

I don't know how they can bloat on their egg yoke but when they die they swell up, there might me a problem with your water like bacteria that's killing them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nathan

I thought it may be due to the hardness of my water? I was just doing some testing and it is pretty hard. If it is some sort of bacteria what would you suggest I treat the water with?

Nathan,
    Maybe start by telling us all your water parameters and husbandry and method used for hatching. I don't think it has anything to do with your hard water as usually they just won't hatch if the waters too hard.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nathan

Ph - 6.8
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 5ppm
    Gh & Kh - 140-200ppm
    Temp. 82 f

They are hatched in a 2.5 gallon with MB. Once hatched they are moved to a shoebox that is floated in a 20 gallon tank with the same water as above. This tank gets about a 70% WC per day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nathan

Registered Member
    Real Name
    STAN

I had a similar problem with three different artificially raised broods using egg yolk mix as well as with BBS and pre-soaked GP's. similar to your set up I use a shoebox with 100% WC's in the main tank twice daily. What SEEMED to be the problem is overfeeding the fry.

However, cutting back on the feed quantity, but maintaining my schedule of feeding every 2 hours there were no further problems with successive batches of fry.
    Last edited by NoMondays; 02-25-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBP View Post
    I have come upon a new issue in my quest for artificially raising fry. On the second day many of the fry are beginning to bloat. By day 3 only a few are free swimming and all of those who bloated are now dead. Does anyone know what causes bloating? It looks like an air pocket formed? I cannot find any information anywhere on this. I had this happen to a batch of Angel fry and now it has happened to a new batch of discus. Any information would be great.

Thanks!

Did you ever figure this out?

I have a pair of discus that started laying eggs. I cycled a 50gal tank over 2 months and moved them.

First batch of eggs hatched, and only 5 made it to the parents. (Parrents would flick, and ditch the free swimmers.)

the 5 that found the parents, grew to the size of a dime, before the female decided she wanted to spawn again and ate the 5 survivors.

Next batch had white cottony growth (fungus?) on the eggs. 90% hatched but none made it to free swim.

Next batch had the same problem.

Next batch I added Methanol Blue to the eggs, and removed it through 80% daily WC's this batch did not have any problems with cottony growth, however all of the fry bloated and died.

0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrate, 60ppm TDS, 7.6pH (Seachem NutriDiet Discus Flakes fortified with GarlicGuard, and Probiotics.)

Water changes are aged in a 50 gal drum - temp matched - etc..

After all these failures, I changed the breeding tank from sponge filter to overflow / sump and moved the heaters, and sponge into the sump.

Added a TurboTwist 36W UV Sterilizer for the return water.

Discus laid eggs again - almost all of them hatched, 3 days after hatch they start to float free from the cone and appear bloated and dead.

I removed a couple and put them under a microscope, to my surprise the heart was still beating on the fry that were more or less dead. (couldn't find any parasites)

The fry that did NOT have a heartbeat had protozoa all over on it feeding. (I assume this is a normal process to break down the dead fry.)

Water is crystal clear - glass is clean.

I'm baffled. It is very frustrating watching spawn after spawn of wigglers slowly bloat and eventually drift off the cone motionless.

Weak genetics? Something in the food? Bacteria / fungal / parasite - totally frustrated.

I made some homemade food and may try that next. Male loves it, female is more interested in staring at the eggs.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast