Andy

Default Re: Fry Bloating and dying before free swim

Fry4.jpg

Under a microscope.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_aol35re4 The 5 Discus Fry from first batch a day before mom ate them. Sorry for the portrait video - wasn't expecting to use it for anything.

https://youtu.be/bea3SioQYB4 Fry under microscope.

https://youtu.be/Jgtvk_1TM80 From filter / white cottony fungus? Parasite? (Chilodonella?)

I dosed the aquarium with Malachite green, a bit of salt, and I'm raising temp from 84 to 90

Will maintain that for a couple weeks and check the filter bed again there-after.
    Last edited by Andy0x1; 06-25-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Discus laid again, fry malformed and die off again. very frustrating.

Real Name
    Sean

You might want to pm brewmaster15 and get his thoughts on this. Maybe the parents have bad genetics or one of them is producing bad sperm or eggs.

Registered Member

What is your GH? Almost all my fry got short gill lids and/or deormed fins. I have GH 0-1 and have bought me some discus minerals now to buffer up my water before trying to breed them again. I read that lack of minerals also could lead to fry deformaties and death. So perhaps worth looking into?

Registered Member

Never mind. Saw you had listed gh in a previous post. Much higher than mine. Guessing that`s not the problem then.

Real Name
    Mervin

I had this problem with large water changes on fry of just hatched angel fish in the past.70% WC especially from the tap can kill fry.In my case it did at 40% and was dechlorinated in a bucket first.Maybe try smaller WC's for their first few weeks.I think it is due to a big WC.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

I agree, and did nothing more than remove waste from the tank, with no water changes at all, same problem.

I would suspect week genetics, but one batch had all of the fry make it to free swim, only 5 found parrents from that batch though, and mom eventually ate the ones that were growing well.

There are only two events that come to mind as possibly related.

#1 I replaced my 3M whole house filter AP903 (Sedement, and Chlorine)

Cant imagine this would be a problem

#2 I handled "Mosquito bits" a biological product to prevent mosquito larve from forming.

I specifically washed my hands with dawn dish soap after handling, and avoided the tanks. I really do not think this would be related, esp since there is no microscopic evidence in my post incident reviews.

Low minerals makes the most sense since the whole house filter was replaced. I have some plant fertilizers including CSM+B I could try adding but perhaps I will simply try putting the house filter into filter bypass, and make a large water change. The fish laid again last night so I will do this tonight.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Tried refortified RO water, started a new tank, cycled, same problem, over and over. No idea what the problem is.

I have seen this before on a pair of new fish I got , and attributed it to bacteria. Others here have reported similar over the years. My best guess was it was a bacteria that the parents carry on them.I was able to dip the eggs
    in methlyene blue and artificially hatch the eggs fine and they developed fine..but if left with the parents the turned into balloons on the cone like yours. Since I could hatch the eggs artificially and it was only this pair I was pretty sure.it was bacterial. I ended up doing a salt dip to a new tank and treated 10 days with furan 2. I did not have further problems.

There may be multiple causes for this but that was apparantly one.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12