AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus turning dark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

Default Discus turning dark

2 our of eight discus turn dark. I treated my tank with API General cure. The next day they all we full of energy, eating like crazy. After a few days the two are dark again. My water quality was good but I went ahead and did ahead with a 50% water change. Water test show all good. I am looking for advise.
    GB

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

Default Re: Discus turning dark

The two are dark again. Eating very little.

GB

What's your water change routine? Do you just water change when they turn dark or you do it daily? Some people do only large water change when fish are getting sick which is totally wrong and only rely on test kits.

Real Name
    Naz

What size tank are they in? and what is your water changing schedule? Please post more details about you water parameters and their diet.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Ralph

Welcome to Simply Discus Gary...

I have moved your thread to justify a better response with issues your experiencing.
    Please copy and paste link below and answer the questions as best as possible.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Thanks,
    ...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

My discus are in a 55 gallon aquarium. I am changing 15 gallons of water every three days. I am testing the water with test strips. My temperature is 83. Nitrates usually are below 20 ppm, no nitrites, 6.5 ph. I just finished the second treatment of general cure and changed 15 gallons of water and added a new activated carbon pack into my Fluval 70 filter. I have eight 2-3 inch discus and 6 Silver dollar size angel fish and 3 green cory cats in the tank. I have amazon sword plants and gravel in the tank. One of the discus is still stressed out and not eating, hanging out by himself. I suspect that it has a infection from what ever parasite that was munching on it. I feed 2 small cubes of brine shrimp in the morning, two pinches of Discus pellets for dinner. I am figuring that I need to treat with some type of anti bacteria medicine. I am working on a hospital tank but, I am afraid that it might be to late. I do not see and ick or worms on any of the fish. All the fish came from the same local breeder. Thanks for the replys.
    Gary

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

Well,,, good news. Sorta.
    I lost one discus. I inspected the fish and found worms in it's belly. I did a large water change and watched closely. I noticed what turned out being white worms. I researched on how to treat the parasites and treated with API general cure. I am doing the second round tonight after work. I watched my fish for a couple hours this morning. No more white worms coming out. They are not stressed out any more and are starting to eat. The others are always hungry, no worms coming out. Water test was all good this morning. Hopefully this will be the end of my parasite battle. Thanks for the comments. Please add any thing else that you think might help me out.
    Gary

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Just to let you know your water is made up of hundreds of compounds. Test strips only check a few and in reality are pretty useless. The truth is you are not changing near enough water often enough for your discus to do well. If you want them to thrive instead of just survive you will need to step it up.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Just to let you know your water is made up of hundreds of compounds. Test strips only check a few and in reality are pretty useless. The truth is you are not changing near enough water often enough for your discus to do well. If you want them to thrive instead of just survive you will need to step it up.

-john
    +1
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Gary and welcome to Simply. I would suggest a little research on your part. Start with watching this video,

and reading this guide http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

Thank you very much!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

I lucked out and found a 67 gallon All Glass aquarium on Craigslist for $100. It has a nice stand but it needs resealed. I am working on it next week. I am going to take Johns advise and go Bare bottom. I am after a supplier for the foam filters that I see in pretty much all the breeding discus tanks.
    Does anybody know of a site to purchase the filters?
    Gary

Real Name
    Ricardo

Have you resealed a tank before?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyg View Post
    I lucked out and found a 67 gallon All Glass aquarium on Craigslist for $100. It has a nice stand but it needs resealed. I am working on it next week. I am going to take Johns advise and go Bare bottom. I am after a supplier for the foam filters that I see in pretty much all the breeding discus tanks.
    Does anybody know of a site to purchase the filters?
    Gary

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

Yes , I have had some good results with removing the old silicon and re-sealing with 100% silicon. I will post some pictures.
    GB