AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will They Always Love FBW The Most?

Registered Member

Default Will They Always Love FBW The Most?

Hello-

Purchased my discus from someone feeding mainly flakes and Frozen Blood Worm.

I have had them for 3-4 weeks and they now readily take Freeze Dried Black Worms after researching and purchasing some right away.

They immediately rejected my two types of flakes, up until a week ago I did not have the same type of flake they were on with the previous owner, just the frozen bloodworm. Initially they would only eat FBW before I purchased the FDBW.

They still eat the Frozen Blood Worm like Piranha, the FDBW fairly enthusiastic, and everything else mEh. Nothing compares to the vigor when they are eating FBW.

I finally received the flakes they were on with the previous owner, but they reject them similar to the other flakes. They like the new FDBW more than the previous flakes, I guess they like wormy worms. I have considered shredding beef heart to look like worms.. my arm is already tired though.

Because of the nutritional value, I have been trying to wean them off of the FBW to only as a snack- however I am trying to figure out how often. As soon as I offer it, it seems like there is a period of boycotting everything else, and any progress with other foods declines.

To be fair a couple of the 7 seem to be much less picky than the other 5, and were previously.

I have been reading about various methods of feeding, deprivation for a short period, offering new foods in morning and favorites later when fuller, offering the same over and over until accepted.

Should I stop feeding FBW completely, or for a very long time? I am reluctant as I feel like they aren't eating as much as with FBW.

Thoughts on boycotting, switching foods, varied diets, diets with FDBW FBW Flake +

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ChuBoch; 02-22-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Will They Always Love FBW The Most?

They say whenever introducing a new food, do it during the morning feeding. That being said, mine are hooked on FBW and that's about all I feed them... and they like to eat lots, which can get expensive. Good luck
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

Hi Cosmo,

I have some smaller and medium guys and want them to get a decent amount of protein- FBW has so little!

I guess if they eat lots... it IS expensive... but not as bad as my dog's raw diet!

Real Name
    Paul

Try Al's FDBW (Australian freezed dried black worms). Good nutritional value and pretty much crack to discus.

I once had a group of wild Tefe Greens that would eat nothing, no matter what, but live black worms. This was before we even had frozen, or dried worms available. They grew up fat and sassy, showing no negative effects. That said, it's always better to feed a varied diet.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by ChuBoch View Post
    Hi Cosmo,

I have some smaller and medium guys and want them to get a decent amount of protein- FBW has so little!

I guess if they eat lots... it IS expensive... but not as bad as my dog's raw diet!
    I have to disagree with this.If you are using freeze dried,the protein for blackworms and bloodworms are about the same,in the 60% range.Frozen is a different mater.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Frozen is pretty pretty pretty pretty expensive water and a wee little bit of protein ; )

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    I once had a group of wild Tefe Greens that would eat nothing, no matter what, but live black worms. This was before we even had frozen, or dried worms available. They grew up fat and sassy, showing no negative effects. That said, it's always better to feed a varied diet.
    I used to feed my fish nothing but live Black Worms, long before there was such as thing as Calif Black Worms (going back to the 70s) Fish wouldn't eat anything else - I used to drive for miles and miles looking for some when my normal supplier ran out.. it was nerve racking. Then for years I fed live Calif Black Worms, but it was such a PITA and sometimes the quality was a little less than I cared for. Tried Frozen Calif Black Worms but my fish want nothing to do with them so I ended up putting my minimum order in the garbage. I'll try the FDBW again, but last time I tried the fish didn't want em, and I had trouble getting them to stick to the tank too... not sure if it's the acrylic or the fact that the eurotop and the frame of the hood makes it difficult to reach the front "glass" without something to stand on?

but you're right, 6% min protein isn't much

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

but you're right, 6% min protein isn't much
    If your looking at my post its 60% for fd
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    If your looking at my post its 60% for fd
    Actually, I was looking at the wrapper off a pack of Hikari Frozen Blood Worms

However, it hit me later on that this number is somewhat misleading since it includes the water and not only the worms. As someone said, very expensive water, however, taking the expense out the equation (and the water out of the min Protein number) I believe what the fish actually eat (the worms themselves) has to be higher in protein (or at worst the same) as a freeze dried product. Therefore, IMO, to say that frozen blood worms are very low in protein is a misleading statement. The worms themselves are just as high (or higher) in protein as the FD, they simply cost more because you're also paying for water, and, the stated protein value is distorted by the presence of said water.

If you think about it, the freeze drying process cannot add protein to the worms themselves, it merely removes the water.

Only seems logical captain
    Last edited by Cosmo; 02-25-2016 at 01:42 PM.

I backed off some of the frozen options, all of them are over 90% water. I already have a lot of water in the tank : )

As far as sticking the fdbw to the glass some times that works sometimes it doesn't, I've never figured it why

I actually stick the bh to the glass too

As of late I just feed my mix of bh. And fdbw now and then

If I question it I look for one of John's threads saying he only uses BH mix

Cosmo your statement is true,to me its been the "very expensive water" part.Just went and looked at my lables,freeze dried brine shrimp 50% protein,freeze dried bloodworms 58% protein,and Al's freeze dried blackworms 66% protein.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

Hello All!

It's nice to come back to your thread full of responses. Thanks for your input!

I buy on Ebay Freeze Dried California Blackworm Protein 65-68% Fat 12-14% I read is pretty OK as a main staple- found it through these forums and great people like you!

I especially like the variety packs that include FDBW with Beef Heart, Tetra Color Cits, PR Mysis, Plankton, and Spinach.

I try to give them a varied diet but they just don't eat anything else like they eat FBW or FDBW. Just glad FDBW was there as a healthier somewhat cheaper replacement.

Anyone have any good cheap quality sources for Freeze Dried Black Worm? It's still pretty expensive... 10.99 for 10g, 17.99 for 25g

i buy from he simply discus board owner, even if it is a little more. this board has saved me way more in wasted spend so its an easy way to support it.

if you go to owners website, i think it is a little cheaper than ebay as well

i also find the fdbw last a pretty pretty pretty long time based on how i use them

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Actually, I was looking at the wrapper off a pack of Hikari Frozen Blood Worms

However, it hit me later on that this number is somewhat misleading since it includes the water and not only the worms. As someone said, very expensive water, however, taking the expense out the equation (and the water out of the min Protein number) I believe what the fish actually eat (the worms themselves) has to be higher in protein (or at worst the same) as a freeze dried product. Therefore, IMO, to say that frozen blood worms are very low in protein is a misleading statement. The worms themselves are just as high (or higher) in protein as the FD, they simply cost more because you're also paying for water, and, the stated protein value is distorted by the presence of said water.

If you think about it, the freeze drying process cannot add protein to the worms themselves, it merely removes the water.

Only seems logical captain
    yeah, my same conclusion...there is a reason they concentrate orange juice, water is heavy and expensive to ship. if my math is right, its cheaper by gram of protein buying fd over frozen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast