ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackworm Culturing Made Easy!

Registered Member

Default Re: Blackworm Culturing Made Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you can keep them reproducing over time you deserve a prize. Did you talk to Dan about this or did you just up and try it?
    Haha thanks! no I just hatched the idea thinking of lazy ways to keep these things alive long term.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I would imagine as the colony got larger they would start producing a whole lot of waste that would be detrimental to the overall health of the tank. Would love to be proved wrong here though. Please update in a few months. Use a starting point for nitrates.
    I figured that might become an issue at some point down the road. I'm hoping my harvesting will be able to control the population enough to where the health of the tank won't be at risk. I'll definitely keep you all posted.

I once kept them in a tank with an air stone for awhile, but they tend to give off that "woodsy black worm smell". I stopped doing that, and found it better just to keep them in the fridge, eventually just getting lazy, and buying them flash frozen from Dan.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 02-24-2016 at 06:41 PM.
    Darrell

Registered Member

hey all,
    just thought i'd update on my blackworm farm...

it freakn works! lol

producing loads of worms enough to feed full grown discus a generous portion pretty much every day. I even put 6 of my apisto cac fry in the blackworm tank once they were about 3/8 of an inch or so in length and they immediately started going after the blackworms. and now about a month and a half later with no special treatment (or feeding) beyond what i give to my discus, they're all about 1.5-2 inches in length and fully colored!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mattjm1121 View Post
    hey all,
    just thought i'd update on my blackworm farm...

it freakn works! lol

producing loads of worms enough to feed full grown discus a generous portion pretty much every day. I even put 6 of my apisto cac fry in the blackworm tank once they were about 3/8 of an inch or so in length and they immediately started going after the blackworms. and now about a month and a half later with no special treatment (or feeding) beyond what i give to my discus, they're all about 1.5-2 inches in length and fully colored!
    Good to hear!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12