AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Lovers?

Default Book Lovers?

I admit it. I am closet book lover. Actually my whole family is. WE spend a ton of time and money at book shops come to think of it.. I haven't bought alot of books the last many years as I used to because I didn't have a place for them. Thirteen years ago when we moved in here, one of the bed rooms was my office library..I had literally wall to wall books on biology, birds, plant, insects etc....you name it. Along came my kids and the library had to be packed up and carried up to the attic. That was 13 years ago. Very sad day for me.

Fast forward to today. I am finally reunited with my precious books! This past weekend A and E construction (thats Al and my son Ethan ) built a bookcase in my new office..

20160223_102017.jpg

Its not as big as I had but its so much better than nothing at all.

Tell you what those boxes of books didn't get any lighter!!

20160223_151956.jpg

I really missed these books!

So any other book junkies out there?

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-23-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Book Lovers?

Still have some organizing but its just so nice actually being able to read them. I found books I forgot I even had....

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, books are like old beloved friends. I have books even from my childhood. This is a pano from the living room. There also is the study with two bookcases and odds and ends in other places.

books.jpg

Nice too see you digging your old friends from the attic.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Still have a lot of the sci-fi from when I was a kid,and my son read thru a bunch.When I had to wait in-line to get into a dock,always had a book with me,sometimes an 1-1/2hr wait if it was near lunch.This current job,16yrs and counting,not so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, books are like old beloved friends. I have books even from my childhood. This is a pano from the living room. There also is the study with two bookcases and odds and ends in other places.

books.jpg

Nice too see you digging your old friends from the attic.
    Pat
    Pat thats really beautiful. I love the the layout@!

Bill,
    Still have a lot of the sci-fi from when I was a kid,and my son read thru a bunch.When I had to wait in-line to get into a dock,always had a book with me,sometimes an 1-1/2hr wait if it was near lunch.This current job,16yrs and counting,not so much.
    scifi , next to biology my favorite reads... Andre Norton, Edgar Rice Burroughs,Isaac Asimov,Frederik Pohl?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Old Star Trek books

Actually re-read Daybreak-2250 by Andre Norton recently,my second sci fi to see if it stood up,and imo kinda didn't,but different times.My 1st sci fi read was Tarzan.Got a box of hardcovers at a rummage sale when I was a kid,,3 cent apiece,2 for a nickel.Still have them.Like Pohl,but never got into Asimov.Now Heinlein was a different story,ate that up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Pat thats really beautiful. I love the the layout@!
    Thanks Al, this room is slowly morphing into a library. An properly aged leather couch and couple of leather chairs should just about complete it.
    Pat

Real Name
    Ricardo

I actually became a huge bookworm when I first started working at my current job (over 10yrs ago). I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and started reading series of books, rather than just one. However, most of these are all fiction simply because I tend to save the bio's or non-fiction ones for home and at home I hardly ever get to read. Here at work though is where I first read Game of Thrones before it was a thing and once people started talking about a series I was already in to re-reading the series at least for the 3rd time in anticipation of his last (not latest, but last) book.

If people wouldn't mind, I would love to hear actual book titles people would recommend, fiction or not to have a good list of books to tackle

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I'm an avid reader. Sometimes one or two books a week, now that I'm retired. Amazon has all my books on bookshelves for me though, lol. I read on my phone using Kindle. My book is always with me wherever I go so even if I am sitting for just a couple of minutes, I can read.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

I have a good bookshelf in my living room that is all fiction. Mu deceased husband made it. I have a huge monstrosity of a bookshelf in the bedroom. The carpenter who built the monstrosity is the guy who built my house. He built me a good house but even though his mother is a librarian he didn't have a clue how to make a bookshelf. He admitted that he'd never built a bookshelf before.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    I'm an avid reader. Sometimes one or two books a week, now that I'm retired. Amazon has all my books on bookshelves for me though, lol. I read on my phone using Kindle. My book is always with me wherever I go so even if I am sitting for just a couple of minutes, I can read.
    I have quite a few amazon books as well Larry on my phone and a kindle .Cant beat it for convenience when out and about. I also use e-pub readers and down load the public domain books.... working my way through a bunch of Sherlock Holmes right now and old sci-fi short stories.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have a good bookshelf in my living room that is all fiction. Mu deceased husband made it. I have a huge monstrosity of a bookshelf in the bedroom. The carpenter who built the monstrosity is the guy who built my house. He built me a good house but even though his mother is a librarian he didn't have a clue how to make a bookshelf. He admitted that he'd never built a bookshelf before.
    Lol..Liz... guy that built my house was a mason. Anything masonary he was awesome at. He put a mantel shelf in the fireplace though thats massive thick but next to useless as its too narrow! Looks good but he wasnt a reader I guess.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I actually became a huge bookworm when I first started working at my current job (over 10yrs ago). I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and started reading series of books, rather than just one. However, most of these are all fiction simply because I tend to save the bio's or non-fiction ones for home and at home I hardly ever get to read. Here at work though is where I first read Game of Thrones before it was a thing and once people started talking about a series I was already in to re-reading the series at least for the 3rd time in anticipation of his last (not latest, but last) book.

If people wouldn't mind, I would love to hear actual book titles people would recommend, fiction or not to have a good list of books to tackle
    Ricardo, what are some of the series you read and liked besides game of thrones? Fantasy or scifi? Historical fiction?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Lightbulb Re: Book Lovers?

We took a family trip to one of our old haunts for used books Saturday. The four of us each found some treasures..

For me, I walked away with an old Audubons book on Quadripeds.. I have a similar one by him on Birds. The color plates rom his paintings are just amazing. Also picked up an old first edition Peterson's Guide to western Birds and a book on Big Cat ancestry as well as a few others. Oh and almost forgot...picked up Ansel Adams Autobiography .

Almost picked up some old Harry Harrison scifi but will go back for that.

All in all , a great day out.

20160227_182309.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-29-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast