AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 150g Planted Discus Tank - Goh Eng Khoon Line

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: 150g Planted Discus Tank - Goh Eng Khoon Line

What type of rock are you using in there?

It looks as if you like to use the rock almost as a foundation to plant in and around and as a base, is that correct? Really awesome. Rick showed me your tank after he sold you the discus and I was like wowowowow!

Cool to see you made it here and are contributing... Again welcome and can't wait to watch this one as it goes...

Registered Member

Thank you Phil.

The exposed rock to the best of my knowledge is a type of Basalt Rock. A couple of my construction projects have literally tons of rock used as rip rap (velocity reducers) in storm water concentration areas. So I always keep an eye and cherry pick rocks when I can. They come out all different colors and types, but I have identified this common type which is dark grey and has some very nice shapes. I pick up some other random rocks to break them up, but I focus on the dark grey ones for sure. It is very similar and may be identical to what Aqua Design Amano calls Yamaya or Koke stone.

I use these types of rock as a border from the ADA Aquasoil and the ADA Colorado sand, it hold the Aquasoil back and yes I do plant in it a little. But if you are talking about what I put in the back area first in that time lapse, that is regular black lava rock (1 inch +/-) that I add Mineralized Topsoil and Black Humus and mix up as a plant base. Then I sprinkle more Mineralized topsoil and finally cap that with the ADA Aquasoil. The purpose is to give the plants a long term nutrient source in the soil so that I would be able to avoid dosing by using mostly root feeding plants. But the tap water itself and fish waste->Nitrates make plenty of nutrients available to the plants in the water column as well.

Registered Member

whats your impression of the Theiling Rollermat, i see you have a filter sock is that for an over flow?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo40 View Post
    whats your impression of the Theiling Rollermat, i see you have a filter sock is that for an over flow?
    Sorry for not replying sooner, really have been trying to get some time on the tank and filter to give a decent opinion.. Yes the sock is for the safety overflow since I am using two overflows, a full siphon main and then the safety overflow.

So the filter is awesome and works as good as expected, but it is way over capacity on my 150 I have gone through one roll in at little as two weeks and at $30 a pop this was not what I was hoping for. It's my fault, I thought it would still be manageable but I need to make some adjustments to at least try to double the life of a filter roll. I will also say that up until I put the discus in it was doing really well, the feeding for the discus is what gets the filter I believe even with daily 50% WC's. But berfore discus it was working well and the roll was lasting pretty good.

I'm thinking of using the overflow line as basically a bypass line to filter sock so the capacity running through the rollermat is less. Or another idea I have been thinking is to put a recirc line on and sending it through a spare ocean clear canister with micron filter I have sitting around.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Bala de Plata View Post
    Sorry for not replying sooner, really have been trying to get some time on the tank and filter to give a decent opinion.. Yes the sock is for the safety overflow since I am using two overflows, a full siphon main and then the safety overflow.

So the filter is awesome and works as good as expected, but it is way over capacity on my 150 I have gone through one roll in at little as two weeks and at $30 a pop this was not what I was hoping for. It's my fault, I thought it would still be manageable but I need to make some adjustments to at least try to double the life of a filter roll. I will also say that up until I put the discus in it was doing really well, the feeding for the discus is what gets the filter I believe even with daily 50% WC's. But berfore discus it was working well and the roll was lasting pretty good.

I'm thinking of using the overflow line as basically a bypass line to filter sock so the capacity running through the rollermat is less. Or another idea I have been thinking is to put a recirc line on and sending it through a spare ocean clear canister with micron filter I have sitting around.
    That is a shame Rory. Can you control at the rate that the filter cycles the roll? Will this just make way for way too many nasties on the filter?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Well you know me Ricardo, I will figure something out lol.

Yeah I had tried that using the Apex controller, I have played around with putting an OSC statement on the filter outlet so that it only would let it turn on for 3 secs every 5 mins or so, but occasionally that would get it to by pass out the filters own overflow port cause if the internal water level gets too high it can get past the filter media. So even with the OSC statement it seemed to work better on its on, I just control the amount of water going into it by closing the valve on that siphon line a little. Next idea is to raise it higher out of the sump, the thinking there is if the water in and out of the filter will not be in equilibrium as much, there would be more internal pressure forcing water through the filter media maybe. With more static water pressure on the roll I think it may last longer as the water level may not rise internally as much..? Dont know, but bottom line is that filter cant be removed from the sump unless I drain the tank completely as I have to remove a brace to be able to slide sump out and lift the filter out. So it's staying.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Well you know me Ricardo, I will figure something out lol.

Yeah I had tried that using the Apex controller, I have played around with putting an OSC statement on the filter outlet so that it only would let it turn on for 3 secs every 5 mins or so, but occasionally that would get it to by pass out the filters own overflow port cause if the internal water level gets too high it can get past the filter media. So even with the OSC statement it seemed to work better on its on, I just control the amount of water going into it by closing the valve on that siphon line a little. Next idea is to raise it higher out of the sump, the thinking there is if the water in and out of the filter will not be in equilibrium as much, there would be more internal pressure forcing water through the filter media maybe. With more static water pressure on the roll I think it may last longer as the water level may not rise internally as much..? Dont know, but bottom line is that filter cant be removed from the sump unless I drain the tank completely as I have to remove a brace to be able to slide sump out and lift the filter out. So it's staying.
    lol, staying for sure! That is what you call being invested in a system

I'm sure you will figure it out Mr. Macgyver

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

FTS picture update.. Hopefully image quality is not too bad.

Registered Member nofearengineer's Avatar

I really like your H. pinnatifida grouping on the wood. You just confirmed it will work in my tank too. =)
    People say planted discus tanks are unnatural. I wish I could figure out why the Amazon is so muddy...with that bare glass bottom it has.

Real Name
    Nathan

Hi Rory, you have a very beautiful and inspiring setup right there! It's amazing to see the results of countless number of hours planning, building, and fine-tuning a high tech aquascaped planted tank! That alone already is an accomplishment, even before factoring the care requirements that discus bring in.

Hope you don't mind, I have a few questions for you -
    1) What are the dimensions of the tank? It's seems 5'x2'x2' to me, but I'm just guessing..
    2) What's your pH with CO2 on? What would your pH go up to if you leave CO2 off and let it off gas?
    3) Do you have any issues with small fish/critters getting into the overflow?
    4) Any Cory cats in there, or planning to bring in?

Thank you!

Real Name
    Phil

Awesome shot! Keep them coming!! Love this tank so much!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Awesome shot! Keep them coming!! Love this tank so much!
    Thank you Philly

Quote Originally Posted by zergling View Post
    Hi Rory, you have a very beautiful and inspiring setup right there! It's amazing to see the results of countless number of hours planning, building, and fine-tuning a high tech aquascaped planted tank! That alone already is an accomplishment, even before factoring the care requirements that discus bring in.

Hope you don't mind, I have a few questions for you -
    1) What are the dimensions of the tank? It's seems 5'x2'x2' to me, but I'm just guessing..
    2) What's your pH with CO2 on? What would your pH go up to if you leave CO2 off and let it off gas?
    3) Do you have any issues with small fish/critters getting into the overflow?
    4) Any Cory cats in there, or planning to bring in?

Thank you!
    Thank you, here is some info to the best of my knowledge.

1) Yes, it is a 5x2x2 approx
    2) With PH off its is around 6.95 (+/- .05). I have been varying the ph quite a bit trying my best to ease the discus into the co2. I have been using my apex to control the ph within +/- 0.02 degrees, so the co2/ph has been very stable and I have been stepping it down more in the past two weeks as they have adjusted and settled to the tank very well I believe. So at this moment I have the ph controlled at 6.66/6.64 as the hi/low setting.
    3) I have noticed that a RCS and Snail colony have taken up residency in my sump. Bu that is it so far and I am fine with them in there
    4) Yes there are 10 Panda Cories in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
    I really like your H. pinnatifida grouping on the wood. You just confirmed it will work in my tank too. =)
    Glad I could help and thanks

Great looking tank, I hope my tank looks as nice eventually. I'm also going with a planted tank.

Registered Member

Very nice tank!!!!!! giving me great ideas on next tank

Real Name
    Naz

FTS picture update.. Hopefully image quality is not too bad.

Love the rock work and driftwood,very nice setup overall.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast