ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Memories

Real Name
    Jim

Default Memories

It's a little strange going by the name Cosmo again, and seeing the pic of my wonderful late dog Cosmo every day, just writing this makes my eyes a little misty. He saved my sanity during my first marriage and lived to be almost 11 years old (which is ancient for a Great Dane)... hadn't thought about him that much and this brings it all back, but, in the overall that's a good thing His ashes are upstairs in a little shrine we made for him, as are the ashes of the two Dobies we've lost over the years. I have a connection with dogs that is almost spiritual so I never really get over the loss

On a happier note, we have two wonderful Doberman's living with us still, our male Buddy and the female Roxy. Dobies are a wonderful breed and are so much fun to be around it's amazing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Memories

Thanks for sharing, sorry about your losses... I too am a huge dog lover and feel that same connect... Nothing like the love and companionship of a good dog!

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Thanks for sharing, sorry about your losses... I too am a huge dog lover and feel that same connect... Nothing like the love and companionship of a good dog!

That's why my homesteader section is called The Round Hound Lounge,in memory of our fat lab Jackie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    That's why my homesteader section is called The Round Hound Lounge,in memory of our fat lab Jackie.
    That is just too cool Bill ... seems we have a few things in common

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Kelly, Honey, Dusty, Bear, Holly, Nellie, and Nutmeg. Haven't forgotten the name of a single dog I've ever had. Never had more than one at a time and sometimes it took years before I could handle getting the next one, but I enjoyed them all immensely. Okay, Nellie was my wife's dog before we got married, that one maybe should have an asterisk next to it. To be honest Nutmeg belongs to my step-daughter, but she often says she thinks Nutmeg belongs to me. She has spent a lot of her life with me, especially the first few months after Vanessa got here. Haven't worked up to getting another one ourselves since Nellie had to be put down.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Kelly, Honey, Dusty, Bear, Holly, Nellie, and Nutmeg. Haven't forgotten the name of a single dog I've ever had. Never had more than one at a time and sometimes it took years before I could handle getting the next one, but I enjoyed them all immensely. Okay, Nellie was my wife's dog before we got married, that one maybe should have an asterisk next to it. To be honest Nutmeg belongs to my step-daughter, but she often says she thinks Nutmeg belongs to me. She has spent a lot of her life with me, especially the first few months after Vanessa got here. Haven't worked up to getting another one ourselves since Nellie had to be put down.
    Jenny (disappeared out of my parents back yard when I was on a business trip ), Cosmo - who had a vein rupture in his heart sack which stopped his heart , Jake - who died at 9.5 due to heart disease, Katey (my soul mate) who died on Christmas Day 2014 a month before her 12th birthday and now we have Buddy and Roxy.

Jenny went missing when I was 25, cried myself to sleep for over 3 months. Cosmo was as healthy as a puppy until the vein popped while I wasnt home, this was in 2001 a month before my fiancee and I moved into our new Condo, Jake (our first Dobie) died about 4.5 years ago while barking at Squirrels (his favorite past time), Katey I still cry about every time I think about her (even now) - We rescued Buddy shortly after Jake died so Katey would have a friend to play with, then, after Katey passed we rescued Roxy to keep Buddy company. The part the really bums me out is that because of my age, these will probably be the last dogs we have ... I can't imagine living without at least one dog in the house.. will be hard

Dobies are big, strong, and fast dogs, but unfortunately heart problems are inerent in the breed. You hope they don't develop it, and then you spend tons of money keeping them healthy and happy for as long as you can. Katey died in my office, next to me... an hour before the turkey would have come out of the oven

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jim, don't say they are your last dogs. I have begged my parents to get a another dog (they are in their 80s). A dog or any pet adds so much to your life. I think a dog would help to bring my mother out of herself a little.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Kane is my first dog that is really mine. I got him when he was 6 weeks old and he is now 11 years old. He's a Siberian husky and he's always been healthy, and I am so thankful for that. I hope he is healthy for another 5 years. He started developing lipomas, but I have them removed when they start growing a bit too large.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Jim - catch me late in the evening at NADA after numerous drinks and I'll tell you the sad sad stories of losing my first three or four.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Jim, don't say they are your last dogs. I have begged my parents to get a another dog (they are in their 80s). A dog or any pet adds so much to your life. I think a dog would help to bring my mother out of herself a little.
    Pat
    Hey Pat, I guess I'll wait and see what kind of physical and financial condition we're in when the time comes. In ten years I'll be in my mid 70s and hopefully at least one of these two will still be with us then. Any dog we bring into our home after that could be with us into our 80s. Hopefully we'll still be around another 10 or more years after that, but if we're not and that meant our dog(s) would have to go to a rescue (or even worse a shelter) and the fear of that is why I made that statement. If I had a family member that was able to care of them in the event of our untimely passing, like your parents have you, that could change the equation. I just couldn't live with the fact that our death would mean the death of our dog(s) since senior dogs have little chance of being adopted.

But I agree, your parents should get another dog - they have you to take him/her if need be

Beautiful dog Rapture