ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrimp and Discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: Shrimp and Discus?

Iv'e got cherries with my discus. After a initial feast where my discus must of eaten at least a 100 shrimps in no time they are not too interested anymore. The shrimps reproduce faster then they get eaten and adds a nice variation in the tank.

Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas View Post
    Well I just thought the shrimp looked cool. I don't want to breed the shrimp. So people your telling me even if a shrimp could survive in a discus tank (hot tropic waters mind you) at 2" the Discus would still eat them? I'm assuming most of you are actually meaning to say that the Discus will "pick at it" enough that the shrimp will die. An adult sized Discus does not have a mouth size near large enough to eat a 2" object. Eating the baby shrimp, I can understand that....
    When folks say the discus will eat them, they don't mean in one gulp. Yes they pick at them until they die, and then they rip the little shrimpy to pieces and eat the smaller pieces. Even larger shrimp can and will die in this manner.
    220 gallon bare bottom 6x2 foot by 30 inches tall. Stocked with 10 juvenile pidgeons and 4 turquoise, along with 10 blackline tetras and a pleco. Wet\dry filter in the sump and LED lights.

That was pretty much my experience when I kept them too. I had red cherry shrimp and orange sunset shrimp and they both bred pretty rapidly. They will hide among plants and wood, so the discus may get the odd few but they bred fast enough to keep ahead. When I tore the planted tank down, I gave hundreds away and I had only started with a couple dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Beurre blanc View Post
    Iv'e got cherries with my discus. After a initial feast where my discus must of eaten at least a 100 shrimps in no time they are not too interested anymore. The shrimps reproduce faster then they get eaten and adds a nice variation in the tank.

Len

Real Name
    Casper

I have rcs, blue jelly, amano and 2 ghost. The discus are mildly interested but the shrimps are really fast. I'm sure the discus at some baby shrimps once in a while. Shrimps eat everything from algea to uneaten fish food. But they also poop alot.

Registered Member

Bamboo shrimp do really well with discus. Plus they are pretty cool to watch.

Registered Member

[QUOTE=rickztahone;1201578 I have had ghost shrimp in the past and they did very well with discus because they were simply too large for discus to put in their mouths. However, they weren't very good cleaners IME[/QUOTE]

Discus will kill and eat them IME I used to buy 20-30 at a time and within a week they would be picked apart and eaten

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12