AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 55 Gallon Grow out - 13 discus

Registered Member

Default Re: 55 Gallon Grow out - 13 discus

This month, I had 2 more that died in my runt tank. Both jumped out of the tank and were on the ground. I believe it is because of the whirling disease. Since there are only 4 discus left in my runt tank, I am gonna sell them and clear out that tank.

Big Marlboro is a little over 5".
    Next two biggest, one grew 0.25" to 5" and one stayed the same at 4.75".
    All GL stayed the same, one 4.75", two 4.5".

I think two of my Marlboros are starting to pair up. Most the time they stay in one corner of the tank and defend that side.

Registered Member

Why change 50%?.. you could up it to 80% or even better 90%
    You will see them start to grow even more, with over stocking, it's possible to do but you need to change 80-95% of the water.

Registered Member

It has been a while since I updated, here we go!

I sold all my discus in my runt tank.

I only have one long 55 gallon tank left.

Big Marlboro is 5.25".
    Next two biggest, one is 5.25, and one is at 5".
    Eruption Leopard is 5".
    GL, one is 5", 2 is 4.75".

I have only been doing 100% water changes every other day now. How much longer will it take for them to get to 6"? Growth is so slow now.

I have two that I think are pairing up but I don't know for sure. Is there any behaviors that I should look for mating conditions? My main goal by the end of this growout would be to get a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12 View Post
    It has been a while since I updated, here we go!

I sold all my discus in my runt tank.

I only have one long 55 gallon tank left.

Big Marlboro is 5.25".
    Next two biggest, one is 5.25, and one is at 5".
    Eruption Leopard is 5".
    GL, one is 5", 2 is 4.75".

I have only been doing 100% water changes every other day now. How much longer will it take for them to get to 6"? Growth is so slow now.

I have two that I think are pairing up but I don't know for sure. Is there any behaviors that I should look for mating conditions? My main goal by the end of this growout would be to get a pair.
    I have four fish that show a lot of "mating/pairing" behavior. They hang around each other a lot. Lots of "dancing." lots of fin shaking and tilting and leaning. Cleaning surfaces on the wood. Chasing other away from "their" area.

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12 View Post

Jeff...there is never any guaranty that all will reach 6". You've had this group just a little over 7 months now and got them when they were 3.5" to 4.5".
    Discus do grow slower as they age but still grow until 18 months plus. Keep changing water and feeding quality high protein foods and they will get there.
    Another point I would address...it is possible that when females lay eggs it will stunt further growing.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

the growth does get a little slower after a 4.5 inches....

please do share some pics when possible.

thanks,

Dhaval

Real Name
    Filip

You have done a smart thing Jeff letting go of your runts , and focus only on the main tank .
    They still have plenty of time to grow an inch or two more , but like Ralf said , there is no guarantee that all of them will get there .
    Pairing is an obvious and distinctive behaviour and if it ocures I'm sure it would not went unnoticed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234