AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brine Shrimp questions

Registered Member

Default Brine Shrimp questions

I got a 6g vial of san fran brine shrimp eggs from a lfs. Can I use normal squarium salt and lake malawi discus buffer? Or should I get a small pack of saltwater mix? I'm thinking about turning my 20g long into a brine shrimp hatchery btw.

Default Re: Brine Shrimp questions

I always used regular table salt with no iodine. Aquarium salt should work though.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Naz

20 gal will make it a very big hatchery you do not need that for a pair.One like this works very well http://s16.photobucket.com/user/bett...9eadd.jpg.html
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    20 gal will make it a very big hatchery you do not need that for a pair.One like this works very well http://s16.photobucket.com/user/bett...9eadd.jpg.html
    How do I keep the water at 80f in that setup? Our house gets cold at night.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I use a 10 gallon tank with a piece of Styrofoam floating on top with a couple holes cut in it for my two liter bottles to stand in. One tank heater and some air and you're good to good. I always have two bottles going about 12 hours apart since they hatch in 24 hours. Two big feedings a day...the Nicholson method.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I use a 10 gallon tank with a piece of Styrofoam floating on top with a couple holes cut in it for my two liter bottles to stand in. One tank heater and some air and you're good to good. I always have two bottles going about 12 hours apart since they hatch in 24 hours. Two big feedings a day...the Nicholson method.
    Sounds like a plan. Thank you.

Registered Member

Default Breeding brine shrimp?

Is it possible to breed brine shrimp and collect their eggs?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Breeding brine shrimp?

Quote Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
    I merged both your threads. Please do not start multiple threads for a topic that can be solidified in to one thread. Thank you.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Naz

It is possible if you do it on a large scale,but not a feasible plan if plan to do it indoors or in the backyard.About 25 years ago in the summer I use to throw any leftover brine shrimp nauplii in a kiddie pool in the backyard, to feed them I used Brewer's yeast which after some time started to stink.Not only had to put up with the odor but was fight to keep mosquitoes away. I gave up after that summer.In my opinion it is not worth it.As much work as raising fish fry. delta5 here is link that help you on culturing brine shrimp http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c12...rimp-c119.html
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    It is possible if you do it on a large scale,but not a feasible plan if plan to do it indoors or in the backyard.About 25 years ago in the summer I use to throw any leftover brine shrimp nauplii in a kiddie pool in the backyard, to feed them I used Brewer's yeast which after some time started to stink.Not only had to put up with the odor but was fight to keep mosquitoes away. I gave up after that summer.In my opinion it is not worth it.As much work as raising fish fry. delta5 here is link that help you on culturing brine shrimp http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c12...rimp-c119.html
    I've read that before when shopping around for the eggs. For now I don't think its for me. Feeding live bbs is going to be costly. 5 dollars for this little 6g san fran product. With roughly 13 fry, I should be able to feed them in a container with 1/4 teaspoon live bbs each meal. It's pretty much what I did with electric yellow lab fry, but I fed them Hikari first bites.

I've read that before when shopping around for the eggs. For now I don't think its for me. Feeding live bbs is going to be costly. 5 dollars for this little 6g san fran product. With roughly 13 fry, I should be able to feed them in a container with 1/4 teaspoon live bbs each meal. It's pretty much what I did with electric yellow lab fry, but I fed them Hikari first bites.
    13 fry is a very small batch, to be honest it's not worth raising them. You'll never know most of them might end up to be cull or runt. Most breeder here prefer at least more than 50.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    13 fry is a very small batch, to be honest it's not worth raising them. You'll never know most of them might end up to be cull or runt. Most breeder here prefer at least more than 50.
    Yeah, idk what happen to most of the fry when they hatched. I guess most of them couldn't find the parents because I had a black background on the 90g; however, 5 or 50. I'd like to do the right thing.

Delta5, I agree SF BS eggs are quite costly in the little packages, that is why it's better to buy bulk. I get at least 8 oz package when I order mine to keep cost down. with that I go a year before I need more, just store the eggs in nice sealed container in fridge and stays in good shape..
    Jorge Q

Yeah, idk what happen to most of the fry when they hatched. I guess most of them couldn't find the parents because I had a black background on the 90g; however, 5 or 50. I'd like to do the right thing.
    It would be tough to hatch/raise them on 90 gallon tank. I raised a lot of different batches and the easiest is to put them to a light colored smaller tank.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    It would be tough to hatch/raise them on 90 gallon tank. I raised a lot of different batches and the easiest is to put them to a light colored smaller tank.
    I plan on using my 40g breeder for the pair. I might even try my 20g long but I don't think it is tall enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast