AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brine Shrimp questions

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Brine Shrimp questions

Quote Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
    Wow... While i'm testing im trying the floating hatchery with 1" depth of salt water and 1/8th teaspoon of eggs in the tank.
    Get a cheap hydrometer from your local pet store and make your mix specific gravity about 1.018 to 1.024
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Guess im going to buy a hydrometer or a 5g bucket of premixed salt water from the lfs. 36hrs since I put the eggs in the hatchery and no bbs. One is kept at 79f, and hte other at 82f.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I just use Instant Ocean. It costs more but its easy. You can get a 7.5 pound box that makes 25 gallons. Two tablespoons per quart of water.

Don't put anything metal in the hatchery, like a stainless steel weight to hold the air line down. I don't know why but the eggs won't hatch if there is metal in the water. This could be coincidence, but thought I would mention it.

They should hatch at either 79 or 82.

Real Name
    Naz

Guess im going to buy a hydrometer or a 5g bucket of premixed salt water from the lfs. 36hrs since I put the eggs in the hatchery and no bbs. One is kept at 79f, and hte other at 82f.
    After about 18 to 24 hours at 78 degrees Fahrenheit, they begin to hatch and pH is important in hatching,a pH of 8.0 or higher is recommended. Add a half teaspoon of Epsom salt
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    After about 18 to 24 hours at 78 degrees Fahrenheit, they begin to hatch and pH is important in hatching,a pH of 8.0 or higher is recommended. Add a half teaspoon of Epsom salt
    I used Seachem Malawi buffer to get 8.2ph and aquarium salt for the salinity. Good thing I didn't dump them. I notice the one in the fish tank has a lot of stuff floating at the top and I think I saw a free swimming one.

Real Name
    Naz

I used Seachem Malawi buffer to get 8.2ph and aquarium salt for the salinity. Good thing I didn't dump them. I notice the one in the fish tank has a lot of stuff floating at the top and I think I saw a free swimming one.
    You can try Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs here is a link how to step by step http://www.killies.com/Decapsulating.htm
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member

I guess I had a lot of bbs from 1/8 teaspoon. The fry's belly are plump after feeding them.

Real Name
    Naz

I guess I had a lot of bbs from 1/8 teaspoon. The fry's belly are plump after feeding them.
    So how many hours did it take for the brine shrimp hatch?
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    So how many hours did it take for the brine shrimp hatch?
    Roughly 32hrs

Registered Member

How do you guys take the bbs from the hatchery to the fry? I'm diluting what saltwater I get out with the bbs with tank water but idk if the fry are going crazy over eating the bbs or if salt could be hurting them?

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I just cut of the air flow, let them settle and suck up with a turkey baster. The small amount of salt from the bbs brine in a couple turkey basters diluted in a whole tank of water is insignificant. The fry are going crazy over the live food.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

will fry eat anything besides bbs? I havn't found any at my lfs.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
    will fry eat anything besides bbs? I havn't found any at my lfs.
    Too bad you weren't closer, I'd hook you up with some good ones from Brine Shrimp Direct. Mail ordering bbs from them is the way to go. Prices versus the LFS are cheap and the quality/hatch rate is a lot better.

They will eat other stuff, but probably not as readily. I've run some of Al's FDBWs through the coffee grinder when my wife wasn't looking, they ate those. I've tried golden pearls too with some success. Of course if you can't find bbs at your LFS you're not likely to find either of those things either. Order some bbs.
    Last edited by Keith Perkins; 03-09-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Thanks Keith. I got some frozen brine shrimp cubes. I might have to grind it up a little.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123