AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brine Shrimp questions

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Breeding brine shrimp?

Quote Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
    I plan on using my 40g breeder for the pair. I might even try my 20g long but I don't think it is tall enough.
    20 high better than 20 long,think about 40 gal breeder it is a better choice in the long run.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Default Re: Brine Shrimp questions

For bigger spawn 40 is better, I used 20G high and after 15 days I moved them to 50G.

Registered Member

I made a floating nursery, but the silicone needs to dry. Use an air pump to circ it's water and hopefully bbs will hatch in it. Was thinking about putting the fry in it so a small dose of bbs would be a heavy concentrate for such a small area.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

With the salt needed to hatch bbs I hope you don't mean to add the fry directly into that brine.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    With the salt needed to hatch bbs I hope you don't mean to add the fry directly into that brine.
    No, I mean use it for brine or use it as a nursery for the fry. Its what worked when I raised yellow labs. Put them in a small space and feed. Keeps the ppm of food in a given space high.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

I just release batches of bbs into my 29 breeders and the fry do great, but I'm not going to tell you what you're suggesting can't work. I would worry about water quality issues with your method, but since I'm sure you didn't fully describe your nursery maybe you have designed it to combat that issue.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I just release batches of bbs into my 29 breeders and the fry do great, but I'm not going to tell you what you're suggesting can't work. I would worry about water quality issues with your method, but since I'm sure you didn't fully describe your nursery maybe you have designed it to combat that issue.
    If it is used to hatch brine shrimp then the 90g will only be acting as a heater for it.
    If I put fry into it then an air pump will supply circ water from the tank to the nursery and just over flow back into the tank.

Since its only 13 fry I might just feed them bbs in the 90g with a nose sucker for kids.

Real Name
    Naz

Let's see: you are going to float your brine shrimp hatchery in you 90 gal which houses your pair, then you are going to feed the brine Shrimp nauplii to the fry with something like a turkey baster.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Yea, use a turkey baster not the other option...that's just not right. Avoiding losing the bbs out the overflow might be difficult.

Registered Member

I got a 50w heater that can fit into a 2 liter bottle. Will that work or will the heater burn the eggs?

Real Name
    CozyKeith

If you're circulating the eggs correctly with air you should be all right.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    brian nicholls

i have two 30 ltr plastic containers and one 17 ltr hatching tank, i transfer from the hatching tank into the 30 ltr containers and let them grow on, i feed spirulina twice a day, all the tanks have heaters set at 79deg, also air hoses in each, all three have low watt lcd lighting which is left on 24 hours a day, the shrimp are now breeding in the two 30ltr tanks and i have a constant supply of shrimp which i feed to my 6 discus every day, the shrimp eggs i buy in 16oz tins from the usa, the spirulina i buy by the kilo from health food companys online, the discus love them.

Registered Member

Running test on my hatchery. For now it is just for hatching the eggs to feed to the fry. I got a 50w heater inside a .5g betta tank and a 2-liter bottle inside as well. Hopefully the .5g tank will keep the 2-liter bottle's water warm. I also bought a whisper quiet 10 air pump that is feeding air to the 2-liter.

edit: btw, doesn't 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt seem like a lot for 2-liters of water?
    Last edited by delta5; 03-02-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
    Running test on my hatchery. For now it is just for hatching the eggs to feed to the fry. I got a 50w heater inside a .5g betta tank and a 2-liter bottle inside as well. Hopefully the .5g tank will keep the 2-liter bottle's water warm. I also bought a whisper quiet 10 air pump that is feeding air to the 2-liter.

edit: btw, doesn't 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt seem like a lot for 2-liters of water?
    Approximately 1 and 2/3 tablespoons of salt per quart (or liter) of water.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Approximately 1 and 2/3 tablespoons of salt per quart (or liter) of water.
    Wow... While i'm testing im trying the floating hatchery with 1" depth of salt water and 1/8th teaspoon of eggs in the tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast