AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March 2016 Simply Member Spotlight - Don in Virginia

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: March 2016 Simply Member Spotlight - Don in Virginia

Thank you for sharing some of your life with us Don. It was a very interesting spotlight. My late brother also worked at the site, with you. He was collecting artifacts for the Smithsonian exhibit about 911. He died of a blood cancer, maybe brought on by his proximity to so many toxins. Knowing him, he probably didn't wear a mask or gloves.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Great read, this is my third month on the forum and I really look forward to these threads. Obviously well deserved, Don!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Really great perspectives, thanks for taking the time do do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Thank you for sharing some of your life with us Don. It was a very interesting spotlight. My late brother also worked at the site, with you. He was collecting artifacts for the Smithsonian exhibit about 911. He died of a blood cancer, maybe brought on by his proximity to so many toxins. Knowing him, he probably didn't wear a mask or gloves.
    Barb
    Hey, Barb, very sorry to hear about your brother. I know guys who have died since working there, and I'm convinced it's related, but it's impossible to prove. Most guys didn't wear masks, even though most were fit-tested. There are many articles written related to cancer and exposures to the site, hopefully you're keeping abreast of the literature. Yes, it was a soup of toxins.

Registered Member Carolina discus's Avatar

You are a good man Don!
    Great read my friend. Great to know you were part of the clean up of the WTC site. We have more in common than just discus. The WTC site rebuild and the Phoenix Project at the Pentagon were both my divisions projects. Unless they were there, most people cannot truly understand the complete emptiness and sorrow of the site. I can still remember having to go past the signs people had put up looking for their missing loved ones like it was yesterday....and what a unbelievable proud feeling when 1WTC was topped out. We still have more to do.
    All the best to you are your Family...enjoy those Grandkids!
    Regards,
    Eric
    Carolina Discus
    www.carolinadiscus.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Great read Don! I really think stories like these keep newbies like myself coming back to SD. (Plus all the great advice of course!)
    Thanks,
    Eric

Excellent spotlight for sure Don! I am very glad to of became friends with you. I also ditto what Al wrote word for word!
    I am very sorry to hear about your son. I am a strong believer that all things happen for reasons.
    I would also like to thank you and guys like yourself who take the time and passion to train us workers in the hazards that are around our worksites. I am certified level A hazmat/disaster site. many of my locals men went to WTC site.
    Must have been nice to travel as you did. thanks for the pics too!
    my door is always open. anytime your in the area again feel free to stop by.
    jim
    Jim

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

You've certainly had an interesting life Don. I'm sorry to read about the recent low point, I wasn't cognizant of that. My parents went through similar with my younger sister a decade or so ago and she was about the same age as your son when she passed. The toughest of times no doubt.

Glad to see your planning on coming to Chicago for the NADA show I'm looking forward to meeting you in person and it's just another reason for people on the fence to decide to come.
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina discus View Post
    You are a good man Don!
    Great read my friend. Great to know you were part of the clean up of the WTC site. We have more in common than just discus. The WTC site rebuild and the Phoenix Project at the Pentagon were both my divisions projects. Unless they were there, most people cannot truly understand the complete emptiness and sorrow of the site. I can still remember having to go past the signs people had put up looking for their missing loved ones like it was yesterday....and what a unbelievable proud feeling when 1WTC was topped out. We still have more to do.
    All the best to you are your Family...enjoy those Grandkids!
    Thanks very much for your comments. Yes, the grandkids are a true joy, they're what keep us old farts from becoming too cynical!

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Great read Don! I really think stories like these keep newbies like myself coming back to SD. (Plus all the great advice of course!)
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Thanks. Lots of great info on this site, lots of great people.

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    Excellent spotlight for sure Don! I am very glad to of became friends with you. I also ditto what Al wrote word for word!
    I am very sorry to hear about your son. I am a strong believer that all things happen for reasons.
    I would also like to thank you and guys like yourself who take the time and passion to train us workers in the hazards that are around our worksites. I am certified level A hazmat/disaster site. many of my locals men went to WTC site.
    Must have been nice to travel as you did. thanks for the pics too!
    my door is always open. anytime your in the area again feel free to stop by.
    jim
    Thanks, Jim, much appreciated. There was an IUOE member there at the site who did an outstanding job with training, but he passed not long after. Stress was a huge factor for the workers there. The operators did a fantastic job. And don't be surprised if I do stop by one of these days, my wife and I are starting to think about moving up to the area, closer to our grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    You've certainly had an interesting life Don. I'm sorry to read about the recent low point, I wasn't cognizant of that. My parents went through similar with my younger sister a decade or so ago and she was about the same age as your son when she passed. The toughest of times no doubt.

Glad to see your planning on coming to Chicago for the NADA show I'm looking forward to meeting you in person and it's just another reason for people on the fence to decide to come.
    Thanks, Keith. Yes, my wife and I are planning on coming out to Chicago for sure, see you there! Sorry to hear about your sister, this type of cancer seems to strike young adults disproportionately.

And for those fence-sitters considering a trip to Chicago, you can't believe how great the NADA convention is, the fish on display are just so striking you won't believe it. And the speakers, of course, are a magnificent source of information about discus. If you're really in to discus, the convention is a must.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Don, it was a true honor to read your spotlight. The travel, terrible loss on your son and life adventures truly show what an amazing person you are. Those grand babies will give you so many years of joy...spoil them and hand them back to their parents. I so look forward to meeting you at the NADA show.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Don, thank you for letting us have a glimpse into your life. You have had a full and interesting life through the ups and downs. Costa Rica is one of my favorite destinations and is exactly the way you describe it
    Mark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Al

Great read. I really enjoyed your spotlight. Thanks for sharing.
    Al

Don,
    I really thank you for sharing your life experiences. Amazing! I am sorry for your recent loss!
    I am glad you have grandchildren that bring joy and energy into your life.
    The politics of the 911 tragedies affect the health and lives of real people. That is a shame. Thank you for your work, it is important.

A great spotlight!
    Ardan

Registered Member

Don,

It seems you have lived a very rewarding and fulfilling life thus far. As a younger member it truly astonishes me the paths my elders have taken and stories like that truly inspire. Life and the dots we connect with one another are really cool.

I am sorry for your loss too and hope with time and loving support your wounds will heal. Hope to be seeing you around the forum good sir.

TTYS,

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Don, it was a true honor to read your spotlight. The travel, terrible loss on your son and life adventures truly show what an amazing person you are. Those grand babies will give you so many years of joy...spoil them and hand them back to their parents. I so look forward to meeting you at the NADA show.
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    Don, thank you for letting us have a glimpse into your life. You have had a full and interesting life through the ups and downs. Costa Rica is one of my favorite destinations and is exactly the way you describe it
    Thanks, yes, Costa Rica is a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by IYO View Post
    Great read. I really enjoyed your spotlight. Thanks for sharing.
    Al
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Don,
    I really thank you for sharing your life experiences. Amazing! I am sorry for your recent loss!
    I am glad you have grandchildren that bring joy and energy into your life.
    The politics of the 911 tragedies affect the health and lives of real people. That is a shame. Thank you for your work, it is important.

A great spotlight!
    Ardan
    Thanks, Ardan. You're right, grandkids are truly what gives us oldsters hope.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiesmalls View Post
    Don,

It seems you have lived a very rewarding and fulfilling life thus far. As a younger member it truly astonishes me the paths my elders have taken and stories like that truly inspire. Life and the dots we connect with one another are really cool.

I am sorry for your loss too and hope with time and loving support your wounds will heal. Hope to be seeing you around the forum good sir.

TTYS,

CJ
    Hey, who you calling "elder?" LOL! Just kidding. Thanks for your kind words.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast