AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Aquariums

Real Name
    Paul

Default My Aquariums

I really would like to do a fish room but this will do for now...

I have 5 aquariums total:

- 125G Wild Discus
    - 40G Breeder for QT
    - 29G Crystal Red Shrimp
    - 20G Chinese fire bellied newts
    - 10G TBD...

125G

I plan on making my own wild thread in the future and possibly moving them to a bigger home (200G+). I have a Fluval FX6 but really really... really want a sump! For the time, since the 4 Nhamunda Reds get along in the 40 I will continue keeping them in there.

The office

This is where majority of the aquariums are. Sorry about the blurry Discus... they get super excited when I walk in the room. It's like having 4 extra puppies.

29G

There's about 40+ CRS and several that are berried. Also have a handful of nerite snails, mostly zebras.

10G

This guy only exists because I had a lot of Ohko (Dragon) stone left over when I tore down my 125 discus/planted, with the addition of a bag of ADA amozonia I figured "why not." Not sure what I'll be putting in here yet. I was thinking Crystal blacks because the pH sits around 6.2 but we shall see. I was really wanting royal blue tigers but the pH is too low and i'd need a inert substrate for them... maybe Taiwan bess but they're really expensive. I even thought a Beta since I've never had one before. Open to your opinions.

20G

I prob should of just made the thread about these guys...

Laying Eggs

Pulled the babies this afternoon. 7 so far

These guys have been a childhood love since I was 7 years old. I loved these things as a child but should be serving a life sentence for how many I killed. For those of you that didn't know most of these are wild caught that you see in the stores. It's easier to catch them as a "eft" and eft newts stay primarily on land. They will actually drown if in water too deep (hence why I'm a murderer of newts).

These are actually a lot harder to find as an adult... they used to sell them in petsmart and all LFS when I was a kid. I had to have my parents get them from a reptile store in Vegas and I online ordered the rest. As an adult I've had better success than as a child, I am "successfully" breeding these guys now (actually on accident). Newts are actually supposed to breed in cold water (below 65 deg fahrenheit), they have been laying eggs around 72-75 deg. I guess they are extremely comfortable!!! Just took a little time and removed the dumb plastic decorations and gave them live plants and real rock/wood and they are thriving now.

Thank you for browsing and I'll update this from time to time

- Paul

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: My Aquariums

Very cool Paul. Love the newts.

I see at least one SSS CRS in there, is it mosura? What lineage do you have in there? Nice brood.I was crazy in to shrimp a few years back and was one of the first to get a group of 4 orange eyed black tigers imported from germany. Beautiful shrimp they were. Died within a couple months lol. No one knew how to take care of them back then, that included me lol

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Ricardo!

There's about 5 SSS grades, the majority are S grade. Not sure on lineage most are from the LFS and the higher grade ones are from Erik Lucas out of Marysville, CA.

You should get back into them! Very fun little creatures they are. Did not know that gH was such a huge issue with these guys when I first got them. I had several die cause they couldn't molt. Worried only about tds and pH, just assumed they loved soft water.

Real Name
    Phil

The newts are super cool and something I was always drawn to as a kid as well! You are making me want to do a little newt tank now!!

Nice stuff!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Paul, you have a nice collection. The newts are super cute. I am going to ask a silly question. What is the big draw with shrimp? mainly color?
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 03-04-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Naz

Very Nice Thanks for sharing !!
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks all.

Pat, for me the draw to shrimp was mostly that you can have many, relatively inexpensive, once you cycle it's very low maintenance, and I enjoy the aquascaping. It's kinda like having a colony of tropheus.... But a lot cheaper and less aggressive.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by woopaul5 View Post
    Thanks all.

Pat, for me the draw to shrimp was mostly that you can have many, relatively inexpensive, once you cycle it's very low maintenance, and I enjoy the aquascaping. It's kinda like having a colony of tropheus.... But a lot cheaper and less aggressive.
    and, I will add, there was a good premium on selling these super fast breeders a few years ago. The OEBT's I mentioned earlier, if I would have gotten them to breed, I could have sold each for about $60-$80. That's EACH! They have hundreds of shrimplets at a time. The money wasn't a huge draw at first for me, but as you go deeper in to the shrimp scene, you notice that the higher up you go in grades, the more rewarding the breeding. I bred SSS+ Sokura with helmets, hinomaru's and a couple of tiger tooths. I'm sure you know about PRL's, you should try to incorporate some in to your breeding colony if you have not yet. These will help your breeding program immensely.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Paul

PRL's will be in the distant distant future. I'm most likely moving and if I do I'll be giving the shrimp to my mom. She loves watching these when they come to visit.

Real Name
    Peter

Some very cool tanks there. I sometimes wish we here in Australia didn't have such restrictive import laws. Those newts look very cool.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks! Hioefully you'll be able to run across some. They are fairly easy to take care of

Real Name
    Paul

Decided just to throw a betta in here. I'll be leaving to Jersey in a few months and I have to decide what I'm taking and what I'm getting rid of...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    The newts are super cool and something I was always drawn to as a kid as well! You are making me want to do a little newt tank now!!

Nice stuff!
    I remember as a kid any pet store worth its salt had Newt's. I have not seen any in the trade for years now super cool. I had one for many years as a kid lived its life in a 10gal AQ fed it hamburger 3x a week and chopped dew worms man those were the days

Real Name
    Paul

Update with the newts.

The larvae are growing pretty big. Fed exclusively a white worm diet.

Tonight I found the first metamorphosis, the first eft. I transferred this guy to his new home so it won't drown.

Real Name
    Phil

Paul those newts are awesome!! If you want to bring them to jersey when you move I will come take them off your hands

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast