AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water pump getting slower

Registered Member

Default Water pump getting slower

Is there anyway to cycle the pump so it can pump fast again? I have only had the pump for about a month and its starting to slow down. It use to pump around 5 minutes for a 55 gallons now it takes nearly 10 minutes.

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Water pump getting slower

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12 View Post
    Is there anyway to cycle the pump so it can pump fast again? I have only had the pump for about a month and its starting to slow down. It use to pump around 5 minutes for a 55 gallons now it takes nearly 10 minutes.
    Kind of difficult to say anything not knowing what type of pump etc
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Kind of difficult to say anything not knowing what type of pump etc
    Oh, its a Ehiem 1260.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I have the exact same pump and never had it slow down. In fact, through out the aquarium community, the Eheim pumps are considered workhorses as far as longevity. Care to share specs? Is this in line with a sump? Is it used only for WC's? What is the application?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jim

I have a 1262 that's been running 24/7/365 for the past 10 years with no issue - could you have a blockage in your tubing or something?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I have the exact same pump and never had it slow down. In fact, through out the aquarium community, the Eheim pumps are considered workhorses as far as longevity. Care to share specs? Is this in line with a sump? Is it used only for WC's? What is the application?
    Well its not like extremely slow but I can tell by the pressure when it pumps the water. It use to be extremely fast (hard against my finger when I touch the flow, not its softer). I can tell also because my water changes a little longer.

Pump is solely used for water changes. Pumps 25 feet from tank to bathroom and then pumped up from barrel into tank. Though I use the same tubing to pump water from barrel to tank even though the barrel and tank is only 5 feet apart.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Jeff, I am guessing that you have already checked the impeller... but if you havent, pull off the grey screen and make sure the sponge is not clogged with junk. Then rotate the impeller cover 45 degrees and lift it off. Make sure the impeller has all six of its wings and that there isnt anything in there to interfere with it spinning. Pull the impeller out with the magnet and look down in the chamber around the shaft to see if it is clear of any foreign matter. Rinse the parts and put it back together.

If the impeller is free & clear it would have to be obstructed tubing or you are pumping the water higher than before.
    Last edited by DJW; 03-05-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    Jeff, I am guessing that you have already checked the impeller... but if you havent, pull off the grey screen and make sure the sponge is not clogged with junk. Then rotate the impeller cover 45 degrees and lift it off. Make sure the impeller has all six of its wings and that there isnt anything in there to interfere with it spinning. Pull the impeller out with the magnet and look down in the chamber around the shaft to see if it is clear of any foreign matter. Rinse the parts and put it back together.

If the impeller is free & clear it would have to be obstructed tubing or you are pumping the water higher than before.

Look closely for hairs. they can often be the cause on impellers.

Real Name
    Jim

have you checked the voltage coming out of the wall? lower voltage would spin the motor slower... long shot I know, but

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    have you checked the voltage coming out of the wall? lower voltage would spin the motor slower... long shot I know, but
    good point, or maybe a weak or failing ground wire/connection? Happens to the best of electronics.