ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water change frequency question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Wade

Question Water change frequency question

Hi all,

I took few hrs to read sticky topics. Realized water change is very import and need to be done frequently, some people do it everyday, some people do it every other day, some people do it every week.

My question is, I may travel from time to time for two weeks, that means water change can't be done in those two weeks. Can I still keep discus fish?

Thank you all!

Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Water change frequency question

Answer probably depends on many factors. Size of tank, number of fish, aquascape, filtration, feeding schedule while you are away.

If the discus are full grown adults, then I would say it could be possible. If it's young discus, I would say no.

Have you looked to see if there is an aquarium maintenance business in your area, that could come and do one or two water changes for you, while you're away.

If I were you wouldn't take my chances unless if someone will do the water change for you at least twice a week especially if you're traveling more often. Also Discus needs constants monitor in order to keep them healthy and prevent any disease might occur. I only take vacation once a year for one week max. I would probably get some fish don't need frequent water change like guppy, mollies, and platty for example. They can survive without water change for over a month.

Registered Member

Adult Discus, no problem if you are only gone for 2 weeks, say 3 times a year. In that case, 100% change just before you leave, no feeding until you return. As others have said, for young discus 3.5 inches or smaller, only if you have someone change the water. For older juvies, a couple of changes during the time you are gone, with minimal feeding, mostly near the end of your absence will work, but the juvies likely won't grow nearly as fast as they should.