AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back in the hobby and looking for advice

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Default back in the hobby and looking for advice

Hi everyone, I just started a new aquarium back in the beginning of January after a 5 year absence from the hobby. I've only ever kept freshwater tanks. I’ve kept mainly dwarf cichlids, african cichlids, several kinds of tetras, angel fish and yes even discus. I picked up a 55 gallon tank (36x18x20H) Right now it’s a planted tank that is co2 injected. The tank is lightly stocked with fish and the main focus of the tank for the next several months will be allowing the plants to grow out, and allowing the tank itself mature and stabilize.
    When I had my discus I bought them at the 3.5” mark and kept them in a 50 gallon tank. I kept nothing else with them and had a very small amount of gravel. There were no other tank mates in the tank as the goal was to grow them out in that tank. I fed them mainly live blackworms but they were fed other foods as well like frozen bloodworms, hikari pellets and other foods I just can’t remember them exactly what anymore. I managed to grow them out into nice healthy fish with daily feedings and multiple weekly water changes. Unfortunately I had to part with them (actually all my fish) about 5 years ago due to where I was moving and other factors.

As mentioned above I have a new tank that I started up in the beginning of January and the goal of this tank is to have a planted display tank ideally with 5-6 discus with perhaps a few other fish. I am using a soil designed for planted tanks called netlea aquasoil. It’s co2 injected and I do add fertilizers to the water column. I perform a weekly 50% waterchange sometimes I do 2 WC’s a week. It’s planted now and filling in I do have rock in the tank which I plan on removing if and when I introduce discus to the tank. The water I use is just tap water straight from the tap

For filtration I am currently running the tank with 2 ehiem 2213 filters. I normally over filter like crazy and I never run a tank with just one filter. I intend to add another filter a like an aquaclear 30 if and when I added discus as I feel with the warmer temperatures the fish could use more o2 in the water column.

Here are my current water parameters

- temp 76

- tank ph 6.8 (lower PH due to co2 injection)

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 7.6

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 15 – 20ppm (dosing nitrate for plants)

- well water no

- municipal water yes
    - KH 4-5

My goal or endgame for this display tank is to have a densely planted display tank ideally with discus the goal for the upcoming months will be to stabilize the tank allowing the time that is needed to let the system mature. I’m a strong believer in managing the system and in turn if all is right your tank or environment will take care of the fish. If discus are in the cards I will need to start to acclimatize the plants to the higher temperatures. I may lose some plants in the process or have to use other species but I am prepared to make those adjustments if needed. That process will take several weeks or months. As far as other fish are concerned those are a secondary concern to me as while I feel it would be nice to keep other species the discus will be the stars of the show. The fish that are stoked in there now will be moved out to another tank or be donated to a LFC.
    Now the questions I have before moving forward
    1. is a 20”H tank tall enough?
    2. will I need a lid? I currently do not have one and prefer not to have one. It’s more work keeping it clean to allow the light to get to the plants. I have never seen a discus jump before but maybe you have.
    3. Ideally I was thinking of 5-6 discus as I know they are happy in larger groups. Is my tank space a water volume sufficient for a group this size?
    4. what would be the minimum size fish I should by to keep the water changes and heavy feedings down to a minimum? I feed daily and perform a weekly 50% (sometimes a little more) WC. I was think a 5” fish would be sufficient but I’ll let the pros chime in.

Oh and before I forget here is a picture of the tank today in case anyone is curious.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default Re: back in the hobby and looking for advice

You should crank up the temp to 82 in that tank and see if they survive because that's what it should be once discus goes in. And at 82, you should inject O2!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Thanks for the reply I know about the temp. I mentioned that on my orginal post. Inject O2? Why in the world would I attempt to do that? Good surface agitation should be sufficient for the fish and plants. I wouldn't even know how to inject O2. I've never heard of anyone doing this.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by planter View Post
    Hi everyone, I just started a new aquarium back in the beginning of January after a 5 year absence from the hobby. I've only ever kept freshwater tanks. I’ve kept mainly dwarf cichlids, african cichlids, several kinds of tetras, angel fish and yes even discus. I picked up a 55 gallon tank (36x18x20H) Right now it’s a planted tank that is co2 injected. The tank is lightly stocked with fish and the main focus of the tank for the next several months will be allowing the plants to grow out, and allowing the tank itself mature and stabilize.
    When I had my discus I bought them at the 3.5” mark and kept them in a 50 gallon tank. I kept nothing else with them and had a very small amount of gravel. There were no other tank mates in the tank as the goal was to grow them out in that tank. I fed them mainly live blackworms but they were fed other foods as well like frozen bloodworms, hikari pellets and other foods I just can’t remember them exactly what anymore. I managed to grow them out into nice healthy fish with daily feedings and multiple weekly water changes. Unfortunately I had to part with them (actually all my fish) about 5 years ago due to where I was moving and other factors.

As mentioned above I have a new tank that I started up in the beginning of January and the goal of this tank is to have a planted display tank ideally with 5-6 discus with perhaps a few other fish. I am using a soil designed for planted tanks called netlea aquasoil. It’s co2 injected and I do add fertilizers to the water column. I perform a weekly 50% waterchange sometimes I do 2 WC’s a week. It’s planted now and filling in I do have rock in the tank which I plan on removing if and when I introduce discus to the tank. The water I use is just tap water straight from the tap

For filtration I am currently running the tank with 2 ehiem 2213 filters. I normally over filter like crazy and I never run a tank with just one filter. I intend to add another filter a like an aquaclear 30 if and when I added discus as I feel with the warmer temperatures the fish could use more o2 in the water column.

Here are my current water parameters

- temp 76

- tank ph 6.8 (lower PH due to co2 injection)

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap 7.6

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 15 – 20ppm (dosing nitrate for plants)

- well water no

- municipal water yes
    - KH 4-5

My goal or endgame for this display tank is to have a densely planted display tank ideally with discus the goal for the upcoming months will be to stabilize the tank allowing the time that is needed to let the system mature. I’m a strong believer in managing the system and in turn if all is right your tank or environment will take care of the fish. If discus are in the cards I will need to start to acclimatize the plants to the higher temperatures. I may lose some plants in the process or have to use other species but I am prepared to make those adjustments if needed. That process will take several weeks or months. As far as other fish are concerned those are a secondary concern to me as while I feel it would be nice to keep other species the discus will be the stars of the show. The fish that are stoked in there now will be moved out to another tank or be donated to a LFC.
    Now the questions I have before moving forward
    1. is a 20”H tank tall enough?
    2. will I need a lid? I currently do not have one and prefer not to have one. It’s more work keeping it clean to allow the light to get to the plants. I have never seen a discus jump before but maybe you have.
    3. Ideally I was thinking of 5-6 discus as I know they are happy in larger groups. Is my tank space a water volume sufficient for a group this size?
    4. what would be the minimum size fish I should by to keep the water changes and heavy feedings down to a minimum? I feed daily and perform a weekly 50% (sometimes a little more) WC. I was think a 5” fish would be sufficient but I’ll let the pros chime in.

Oh and before I forget here is a picture of the tank today in case anyone is curious.

Hi Planter and welcome to SD forum .Here are some of my thoughts on your questions.

1.Yes it will do it. Discus are more concerned with tank length.

2. Many people here reported jumpers and dead discus by their tanks , so i would sure put a glass lid on it.

3. 5-6 is a minimal adviced number to keep discus happy and secure and also to alleviate the agression issues.

Your tank is smallest allowed volume and size for keeping 5-6 discus.So being on a borderline here you would have to take extra precautions to keep water quallity under control. Im quite doubtfull that you can succseed that with only 1-2 50% WC weekly , but if you are dead set on this WC regime go ahead and try your luck , your discus will surely tell you weather you can do it or not .

4. Buy the largest group that you can afford. >5 inch would be good . By doing this you increase your chance of sucsess as grown ups are much more forgiving for a bad water quallity and have well developed immune systems , as oppposed to juvies.

And lastly . Leave a 10 inch empty unplanted part of your front bottom carpet for a feeding/ pooping place , otherwise the food will get stuck in carpet and rot there.

Good luck.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i think he meant CO2

u can go lidless if u are aware there is a danger of losing a fish. i had an open top 80gal and never lost a discus, although i did lose a few other fish over the years and i have heard of discus jumping i encouraged the growth of watersprite and duckweed to discourage jumping.

a 55gal seems a bit small esp when planted. ppl do it tho. i dont have a lot of advice just because i wouldnt recommend ur set up but u have kept them before so u prob know the risks. make sure u clean the canisters regularly to remove the debris. do as many wc as u can. pick up some freeze fried black worms for feeding. a backing on the tank may make the new discus feel more secure.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Great pointers guys thank you. I'm not dead set on one WC that's just what I'm doing now. I'd be fine doing 2 or 3 water changes a week. It's actually better for the plants to do more frequent water changes. As far as the co2 is concerned it's left on during the day and shut off at night. With the increased temperatures that discus need I would be inclined to add a HOB filter or at the very least run an airstone at night as I'm well aware warmer water holds less O2 and CO2 for that matter.

Before I do anything the tank needs to mature. That's going to take months the temperature also needs to be raised slowly over time and I need to slowly start moving the that are in there out. fish out as the temps go up. That will give me time to find a good source to buy discus and the lid.

Real Name
    Peter

Highly recommend you watch this video. There is a section about discus and planted tanks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8&t=196

Real Name
    Naz

Hi Planter and welcome to SimplyDiscus.One thing about Discus is that once you have kept them,no matter how times you walk away one always returns to them.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Quote Originally Posted by briztoon View Post
    Highly recommend you watch this video. There is a section about discus and planted tanks.

I opened the link. I didn't expect a 2 hour video. I will definitely look at it when I have some time

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Hi Planter and welcome to SimplyDiscus.One thing about Discus is that once you have kept them,no matter how times you walk away one always returns to them.
    I find aquariums in general are that way. I've had the itch i start up a tank again for about a year. Things are easier now with my schedule so now is the right time.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by planter View Post
    I opened the link. I didn't expect a 2 hour video. I will definitely look at it when I have some time

I find aquariums in general are that way. I've had the itch i start up a tank again for about a year. Things are easier now with my schedule so now is the right time.
    A bit over an hour. You can listen to it, rather than just watching it. You could listen while driving to work, or when doing chores, what ever works.

I listen to it at least once a week while I'm doing water changes and tank cleans.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

I'm doing a water change tomorrow great suggestion to listen to it while doing it I think i will do just that.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

the reason i ask about wc is because the easier you make this task the more often u will be able to perform wc. others may have suggestions to improve the efficiency etc

its a great vid. i also watched it while doing tank maintenance. it was nice, felt like having company while working on the tank which is often a lonely task

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    the reason i ask about wc is because the easier you make this task the more often u will be able to perform wc. others may have suggestions to improve the efficiency etc

its a great vid. i also watched it while doing tank maintenance. it was nice, felt like having company while working on the tank which is often a lonely task
    I spend about an hour and a half doing water changes. When I do a water change I usually prune the plants and that takes more time than anything else. I enjoy doing Waterchanges as its one of the few things where everyone leaves me alone to do my own thing. I usually do it with the music cranked up.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

Quote Originally Posted by briztoon View Post

I watched the entire thing today. Great presentation and tons of great info. I learned a lot and was reminded of things I'd forgotten over the years. Yeah I think it's going to be a challenge to give these fish what they need in my tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Filipe

So after some consideration I've decided not to keep discus in this tank. I don't think I will be able to properly provide them with the conditions they need to thrive in. Unless I do a serious upgrade, complelty redo this tank or setup another tank for them. Neither of which is in the cards now unless I move. I think it would be irresponsible for me to attempt this and would only lead to problems down the road or at the very least unhappy fish.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to stick around and learn a little more so when the time is right I will be ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast