AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Discus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Wild Discus

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Thanks for the update they look amazing as always!!

Is that a 40 breeder or a 40 long? Not sure if it is the pic playing tricks, doesn't seem as deep as mine, just curious!

When will you decide on the move? What about even a 20 gallon for the pair?
    Phil, I think a 20 is a little small for a wild pair.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Thanks for the update they look amazing as always!!

Is that a 40 breeder or a 40 long? Not sure if it is the pic playing tricks, doesn't seem as deep as mine, just curious!

When will you decide on the move? What about even a 20 gallon for the pair?
    Thanks!

40 breeder. I think I might move everything around this weekend. Just in case something happens I have the weekend to observe.

Real Name
    Paul

Well I jumped the gun and moved the Reds to the main tank a few days ago and moved the two spawning to the 40 breeder. All are doing amazing... Minus the two in the honeymoon suite. They are really stressed out! Spent the first day laying on their sides to hide. It's to the point I wrapped the tank in white paper towels... hopefully they snap out of it soon.

Well on to pics

Day two blood worm massacre

Day two schooling

Gonna slowly lower the pH in here. Shooting for 6, but we will see. I added a di unit to my ro, initial reading has it at 5 pH, 0 gH and kH. Gotta figure a new tap/ discus essentials mix.

Real Name
    Pat

Paul, do you have a ph monitor? If so determine where you cross over 7.0 when adding tap to RO and note the TDS. You do not want to go higher. When I mix tap into RO I cross over 7.0 when the TDS is about 45.

Real Name
    Paul

I dont have a pH monitor yet... I've been mixing tap and RO with a pH of 7.4 and TDS of 70-80 lately. Will I get a huge swing as the pH gets lower?

Real Name
    Pat

Depends on your KH. Would recommend a ph monitor at this point.
    Pat

Registered Member

Very nice-looking! Hang in there with the apparent pair. I have a pair that now spawns every couple of weeks in a community tank and raises the young to brine shrimp stage there. They spawned 10 times, eating the eggs within a day or two before they suddenly figured out how to get past that.

Ron

Real Name
    Mark

Paul, just set mood for the pair! Do the large water change. Turn up the heater, turn on the moon lighting, and play some Barry White music for them! Tell them "GET GOING, DADDY NEEDS TO SELL SOME BABIES!" LOL!

Real Name
    Paul

Decided to move the pair back. Looked really unhappy and stressed. Within and hr the pair was back to cleaning wood and protecting their branch. We'll see what happens the upcoming days.

I really wish I wasn't moving soon. I really want to add more or set up a blue faced heckle tank.

Real Name
    Phil

You got ghe "itus" man !!!!

Registered Member

All your fish are beautiful, but the one's with the dark fins all around are absolutely stunning. Where did you get them?

Untitled.jpg

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks, I got majority of the bunch from Mark Chen (discus origins). I believe his shop in Florida is called Ocala aquariums. The brown/blue faced ones I got from John (snookn21). His shop is called freshwater tropicals.

The one you pictured is a green Tefe, this is the fish that UPS almost killed.

Real Name
    Paul

Well the pair spawned again 2 days after being re-introduced to the main tank. I believe this would be number 8, still ate the eggs after day two. Atleast they made use of the new breeding cones I got them!!! Not really hoping for much but I would like to see wigglers atleast once.

Other than that fish are doing well. Nhamunda reds are starting to get a little more color. Really can't wait till they get to full potential. There's even some potential for other pairs. There's been a few that wander to the other side and clean wood. But then again these are wilds and may be picking wood just to pick wood...

Also got a pH monitor since I'm trying to lower the pH. Been sitting at a 7.5 for the most part and after 5 days lowered it to a 6.8. I primarily use 5 gallons of tap water to 25 gallons of RODI mixed with discus essentials. I'm a little nervous to not use tap because of the pH in my storing barrel is extremely erratic (4.5 -5.7). With the RODI tap mix it's stable at 6.8-6.9. I do have some seachem replenish that I use for my shrimp tank that I may try to play with. Open to opinions...

More pics!

I'll be heading out to my new home in NJ in a few months, as of now I plan on leaving everything here in AZ under the care of my parents. They're taking over my house till I retire or can come back this way. These fish look so comfortable that I'd hate to change things up for them... Unless it's a bigger home. But main reason for me leaving them in AZ is potential "short notice" travel plans. I have people here that I know that could help along with parents.

Real Name
    Mark

I'll be heading out to my new home in NJ in a few months, as of now I plan on leaving everything here in AZ under the care of my parents. They're taking over my house till I retire or can come back this way. These fish look so comfortable that I'd hate to change things up for them... Unless it's a bigger home. But main reason for me leaving them in AZ is potential "short notice" travel plans. I have people here that I know that could help along with parents.[/QUOTE]

UGH!!! There goes my plans of getting some young wild ones! Oh woes me! Another keeper of wilds goes to the east coast! Well goodluck out there!

Real Name
    Paul

Taken from a few days ago. This would be number 9 spawn but they ate the eggs at the 2.5 day mark.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast