ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying beef heart questions

Registered Member

Default Buying beef heart questions

Is $2.19 per pound of frozen beef heart a good deal?

The beef heart comes whole and is trimmed. It is also frozen already. Is it okay to buy it frozen, thaw, process, then refreeze?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Buying beef heart questions

I freeze and thaw beef heart all the time. I find trimming off fat is much easier on semi-frozen heart than a fresh one.As for price $2.19 per pound sound quite reasonable.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    I freeze and thaw beef heart all the time. I find trimming off fat is much easier on semi-frozen heart than a fresh one.As for price $2.19 per pound sound quite reasonable.
    Thanks. Should be way cheaper and healthier than buying san fran 3.5oz cube packs?

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
    Thanks. Should be way cheaper and healthier than buying san fran 3.5oz cube packs?
    You will save a lot by making your own mix or you can use it how I use it, as posted in this thread.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=salid+shooter
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

You will save a lot by making your own mix or you can use it how I use it, as posted in this thread.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=salid+shooter
    Thanks for that link. Never knew they'd eat straight bf like that.

Registered Member

Prob a dumb question, but my aunt gave me one of her old school meat grinders. Its the old cast iron one with a wooden handle. The stamp on it says made in 1899. Is this safe for food that will be put in an aquarium?

Prob a dumb question, but my aunt gave me one of her old school meat grinders. Its the old cast iron one with a wooden handle. The stamp on it says made in 1899. Is this safe for food that will be put in an aquarium?
    Absolutely....i used one like that for years before buying a motorized grinder.I still have it.
    Hth,al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ralph

Old school manual meat grinder still gets used in our family and actually used it last week for our yearly traditional sausage making.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Absolutely....i used one like that for years before buying a motorized grinder.I still have it.
    Hth,al
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Old school manual meat grinder still gets used in our family and actually used it last week for our yearly traditional sausage making.

...Ralph
    suddenly I'm hungry...

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Is $2.19 per pound of frozen beef heart a good deal?

The beef heart comes whole and is trimmed. It is also frozen already. Is it okay to buy it frozen, thaw, process, then refreeze?
    Sure that price is fine, especially trimmed. Once you add various other ingredients, it's like hamburger helper, you'll end up with a whole lot for not that much. I've gone over to turkey heart, easier to work with.

Registered Member

Considering I paid 10$/lb in Ct. I think 2. 19 seems pretty reasonable to me. I think! LOL.
    jay

Real Name
    Jay

Where have you guys found beef heart for sale? I haven't been able to find any in the major grocers locally. Haven't tried any of the smaller places yet.

Also, is there a specific reason beef heart is used? Does it need to be the heart, or would other meat work as well? And is there any benefit to it being a beef heart or would poultry heart work as well?

And finally what about pathogens? Could discus be affected by salmonella etc from raw meat?
    220 gallon bare bottom 6x2 foot by 30 inches tall. Stocked with 10 juvenile pidgeons and 4 turquoise, along with 10 blackline tetras and a pleco. Wet\dry filter in the sump and LED lights.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
    Where have you guys found beef heart for sale? I haven't been able to find any in the major grocers locally. Haven't tried any of the smaller places yet.

Also, is there a specific reason beef heart is used? Does it need to be the heart, or would other meat work as well? And is there any benefit to it being a beef heart or would poultry heart work as well?

And finally what about pathogens? Could discus be affected by salmonella etc from raw meat?
    Most of us get it from butcher shops You can try in asian or latino supermarkets for your beefheart.Beefheart is used because its high protein content and it is cheaper than other meat cuts.You can use turkey or chicken hearts. Veal heart will work too
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member

http://smithmeats.com/contact.html You can buy beef heart here. Best if you place your order in advance, but you can walk in too. Use google maps carefully to find this place.

Registered Member

No pathogens if you get it at smiths. Beef heart is the cheapest food by far you can feed that has this much protein and so little fat. It also is one of the best foods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast