ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus Wanted in Clinton, Utah

Real Name
    Jay

Default Discus Wanted in Clinton, Utah

Hey folks I'm a new member to the forum. I am in the middle of setting up a new aquarium and I plan to stock it with discus. I'm doing a ton of reading and studying on how to be successful with discus, and I'd really like to meet and speak with forum members close to me in Utah. Once my tank is setup and cycled, I'd like to buy my discus from someone locally.

I've tried searching the forum for "utah" and "ut" etc. but I'm not getting clear results. So, if anyone is in or close to UT and will have some fry for sale in a month or so, please feel free to message me or comment. If I can come visit and check out your setup, and bug you with a million questions, even better. Thanks in advance!
    220 gallon bare bottom 6x2 foot by 30 inches tall. Stocked with 10 juvenile pidgeons and 4 turquoise, along with 10 blackline tetras and a pleco. Wet\dry filter in the sump and LED lights.

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus Wanted in Clinton, Utah

Got some pigeons almost quarter size and very healthy. And I am in Clinton.

Real Name
    Jay

Wow that was a fast reply, thank you. I just today got the aquarium filled, so I need to cycle it before adding fish. If you still have them in a couple weeks I am definitely interested!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Are you planning on doing a fishless cycle?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jay

Yes I am. I have a nano aquarium and i'm going to steal the filter out of it to jump start the cycle. Then i'm going to feed the cycle with ammonia. That's the plan anyway.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
    Yes I am. I have a nano aquarium and i'm going to steal the filter out of it to jump start the cycle. Then i'm going to feed the cycle with ammonia. That's the plan anyway.
    that wouldn't technically be a fishless cycle. The point of a fishless cycle is to be able to 100%, without a shadow of a doubt know that you started a cycle without any fish. If you pull from another tank, fish helped cycle that tank and you can never rule out that they may have been carrying some illness.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Will have some,have 50 plus and have not posted them for sale yet.

Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    that wouldn't technically be a fishless cycle. The point of a fishless cycle is to be able to 100%, without a shadow of a doubt know that you started a cycle without any fish. If you pull from another tank, fish helped cycle that tank and you can never rule out that they may have been carrying some illness.
    Ok, I guess that's not fishless but it's been my plan. I have had this nano aquarium setup for over a year now with no obvious signs of illness.

Waiting for an aquarium to cycle is the worst for me, I want to use the filter full of bacteria to speed things along. Would using a product such as Seachem Stability produce as quick of a cycle? I have ammonia and also pure sodium nitrite I could dose the tank with.
    220 gallon bare bottom 6x2 foot by 30 inches tall. Stocked with 10 juvenile pidgeons and 4 turquoise, along with 10 blackline tetras and a pleco. Wet\dry filter in the sump and LED lights.

Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by discusdaddy View Post
    Will have some,have 50 plus and have not posted them for sale yet.
    Sounds great, thank you.

Real Name
    Naz

Do a fishless cycle with it's own filter to avoid cross contamination.You can speed it up add over the counter nitrifying bacteria.By the way, do not know if you have watched this video by the owner of this site, if you have not then spend an hour of your time and watch it https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    By the way, do not know if you have watched this video by the owner of this site, if you have not then spend an hour of your time and watch it https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8
    Actually it was that video which brought me to this site, I watched it just before I registered for the site.

Ok, thanks everyone for the advice. I will use Seachem Stability while cycling the tank and start with a fresh filter.

Real Name
    Naz

Actually it was that video which brought me to this site, I watched it just before I registered for the site.

Ok, thanks everyone for the advice. I will use Seachem Stability while cycling the tank and start with a fresh filter.
    Follow this thread to CYCLING THE AQUARIUM, hope this helps http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jay

Follow this thread to CYCLING THE AQUARIUM, hope this helps http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus
    I am getting a 404 error not found when trying to access that link. It seems like the forum truncated it when you posted it.

Real Name
    Jay

Well, in other news, after filling my 220 gallon today I noticed a slow dripping leak. I guess I know why it was sold at auction now!

It's a setback but hopefully not a big one. I spent a couple hours stripping the silicone, washing it down with acetone and then I reapplied a heavy bead of silicone to reseal it. First time I've ever tried anything like that with an aquarium so hopefully it works out.

Real Name
    Naz

I am getting a 404 error not found when trying to access that link. It seems like the forum truncated it when you posted it.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus
    Hope it works this time
    Quote from Colin Powell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast