ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discus Wanted in Clinton, Utah

Real Name
    Jay

Default Re: Discus Wanted in Clinton, Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Yep it worked this time. Thanks for the link. If my aquarium holds water this evening when i get off work I will get back on track with cycling the tank.
    220 gallon bare bottom 6x2 foot by 30 inches tall. Stocked with 10 juvenile pidgeons and 4 turquoise, along with 10 blackline tetras and a pleco. Wet\dry filter in the sump and LED lights.

Real Name
    Jay

Yep it worked, thank you. Hopefully my re-seal job last night holds water today when I get off work.
    220 gallon bare bottom 6x2 foot by 30 inches tall. Stocked with 10 juvenile pidgeons and 4 turquoise, along with 10 blackline tetras and a pleco. Wet\dry filter in the sump and LED lights.

Real Name
    Naz

On a reseal job I like to wait 48 to 72 hours..
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kate

Start with the best stock you can get. Give up the idea of "local fish store" in Utah or Idaho (where I am). Mail order from the best breeders. Mac in Seattle is great and very knowledgeable and does sell 6 packs of small discus. Discus Madness in New Jersey is also good and again, Mathias is a wealth of knowledge and support. You also have the grandfather, Wattley in Florida. Wattley ships on Delta direct to your closest airport. My big wild pair came from him and they are STUNNING. Interestingly, the New Jersey and the Seattle fish have to go to the Fed Ex hub in Memphis- so even though they came from opposite sides of the country- they had to be shipped to Memphis then Salt Lake and then to me.

Real Name
    Jay

On a reseal job I like to wait 48 to 72 hours..
    Understood, I'll give it a couple days. The silicone said water safe after 12 hours so I was planning on doubling that. I can see with the big thick seams used on this tank that more time would be better.

Have I mentioned that I hate to wait yet? Haha.

Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by SVdiskygirl View Post
    Start with the best stock you can get. Give up the idea of "local fish store" in Utah or Idaho (where I am). Mail order from the best breeders. Mac in Seattle is great and very knowledgeable and does sell 6 packs of small discus. Discus Madness in New Jersey is also good and again, Mathias is a wealth of knowledge and support. You also have the grandfather, Wattley in Florida. Wattley ships on Delta direct to your closest airport. My big wild pair came from him and they are STUNNING. Interestingly, the New Jersey and the Seattle fish have to go to the Fed Ex hub in Memphis- so even though they came from opposite sides of the country- they had to be shipped to Memphis then Salt Lake and then to me.
    There isn't a single LFS that I'm aware of in Utah that I would trust to buy fish from with only one exception, http://livefishdirect.com/ based out of Draper. They specialize in Cichlids, and I've seen their setup, they do a great job. They don't carry many discus though, unfortunately.

It's good to have recommendations for quality sources. Now if only adult specimens weren't so dang pricey.

Real Name
    Naz

Better waiting than flooding
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Before you even considering buying your discus from any of the before mentioned dealers don't. Buy them only from one of our sponsors or you could be sorry after - Lighthouse

Real Name
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse7 View Post
    Before you even considering buying your discus from any of the before mentioned dealers don't. Buy them only from one of our sponsors or you could be sorry after - Lighthouse
    Is there a particular reason for this? I mean, I understand supporting the sponsors of this forum, but for me it's about top quality. If better quality is available somewhere that's not a sponsor I would not want to settle for lesser.

Not saying the forum sponsors are not top notch quality or anything, I have no experience with either to say either way. I'm just asking what the reason is that none of the aforementioned suppliers should be used? Or why would I be sorry for using them?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
    Is there a particular reason for this? I mean, I understand supporting the sponsors of this forum, but for me it's about top quality. If better quality is available somewhere that's not a sponsor I would not want to settle for lesser.

Not saying the forum sponsors are not top notch quality or anything, I have no experience with either to say either way. I'm just asking what the reason is that none of the aforementioned suppliers should be used? Or why would I be sorry for using them?
    It is the local supplier that would offer lesser quality. You can hang around and review people's feedback on the quality of our sponsors, and they really speak for themselves. Furthermore, you can find a whole bunch of threads of members who started with what they thought were good quality discus and then something happened because they weren't in fact good quality. Then, they get sponsor discus and they all say the same thing, "I should have just started with a sponsor in the first place". We've all been where you are. We are simply trying to pass the knowledge on to you before you regret it down the line. Ultimately, the choice is yours though.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jay

Understood, and I appreciate the knowledge sharing.

Registered Member

Discusdady will have good fish. He grows his own. He is not a "supplier" just a hobbyest. I also breed discus on a small scale. You might check with another friend of mine who I have sold lots of discus to to see if he has any nice fish that he might be willing to part with. I will PM you his name and contact info. He is the president of the Great Salt Lake Aquarium Society and has been selling my fish to members at a great price.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    It is the local supplier that would offer lesser quality. You can hang around and review people's feedback on the quality of our sponsors, and they really speak for themselves. Furthermore, you can find a whole bunch of threads of members who started with what they thought were good quality discus and then something happened because they weren't in fact good quality. Then, they get sponsor discus and they all say the same thing, "I should have just started with a sponsor in the first place". We've all been where you are. We are simply trying to pass the knowledge on to you before you regret it down the line. Ultimately, the choice is yours though.
    Ricardo with all due respect,I completely disagree with your statement "that local supplier that would offer lesser quality" albeit the sponsors supply quality fish,some of the members of this forum who I would consider as local breeders can supply as good as the sponsors or perhaps even of better quality.If you have a local breeder in your area a visit might be well worth it.Personally my first choice is and always will be a local breeder who happens to be he is one of the finest breeder in Canada in my opinion.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member

I don't know the source of Discusdadys fish at this point. Mine are off spring from Discus Hans Stendeker fish. The simply discus sponsors all have really great fish, and you should look at their stock lists, as you will find they have a great assortment. You may find that they will have the specific strain of discus you really want, while other local discus breeders will not. Their prices are very good as well, particularly for the small fish. You should not buy and discus that are less than 2 inches, and they should preferably be at least 2.5 inches. I don't sell mine even to Mike Dennis (who holds them a while longer) until they are at least 2 inches.

You can buy the bacteria for fishless cycling at Fish 4 U in Holiday. Their biospira worked great for me. Good prices, nice owners. Don't get your discus there, though, they have never believed that bare bottom tanks and frequent water changes are needed. They are. Again, I will PM you later today about other stuff.

What's your water like? Most in Utah have very hard water, some so much so that you are likely to need an RO unit.

Al Light

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ricardo with all due respect,I completely disagree with your statement "that local supplier that would offer lesser quality" albeit the sponsors supply quality fish,some of the members of this forum who I would consider as local breeders can supply as good as the sponsors or perhaps even of better quality.If you have a local breeder in your area a visit might be well worth it.Personally my first choice is and always will be a local breeder who happens to be he is one of the finest breeder in Canada in my opinion.
    Akili, it is a free country . I see what you are saying, but I still hold my statement as true. The only thing I can think of possibly modifying is the words "local supplier". This may imply someone who can import their own discus which wasn't my intent. I meant, and still do, local hobbyist breeders. They simply cannot compete with the volume or quality of our sponsors, IMHO of course.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast