AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild altums

Registered Member

Default Wild altums

Hello evryone.

I just picked up 5 Wild altums from another hobbyist who had them acclimated to captive life since august. He kept them at 6.3. I'm a bit uihher at 6.8-7. I have had them a day now and they slowly pick at frozen blood worms. They ignored the live blackworms. The guy j bought them from only fed him frozen blood worms.

My question is, how do I wean them onto other foods? Also, everything I need about them is tat altums are aggressive eaters. Is there sk.ething j should be concerned with or are they just in need of some time to become comfortable.

Even wild discus eat quickly.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Wild altums

Try FDBW and see if that gets them off the BW. I've always weaned discus off BW by simply offering another type of food and removing the BW's entirely. They either eat the food I am offering, or starve. Guess who wins each time?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks Rick. I'll fatten them up a little first and give it a go. I'm tired of rinsing blackworms each day and driving to LFS to pick them up each week3nd.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by robxc80 View Post
    Thanks Rick. I'll fatten them up a little first and give it a go. I'm tired of rinsing blackworms each day and driving to LFS to pick them up each week3nd.
    I hear you on that. I used to keep them in the fridge myself. Once I found FDBW's, I have never turned back.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I have the cubes I ordered and tried using it to wean my heckel. They won't go for it and it ends up pulling of the glass and floating. Discus ignore them when it's floating.

I just order loose FDBW today tk try. I'll soak them first.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I have the cubes I ordered and tried using it to wean my heckel. They won't go for it and it ends up pulling of the glass and floating. Discus ignore them when it's floating.

I just order loose FDBW today tk try. I'll soak them first.
    I would honestly suggest you try the inverted worm cone instead. It will not float around the tank, so no mess, and it stays available for the discus to discover. Once they do, they will get it sooner or later and after a while, it will not last very long once you put in the cone.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I appreciate the tip. I will do that

Real Name
    Willie

I picked up 5 good size wild altums from a friend last month as well. They're in a barebottom 110 gal tank with just manzanita wood for decoration. Mine will not take to beefheart, but loves frozen mysis and frozen red worms.

My impression is that altums do not eat nearly as much as discus. They'll attach the frozen chunks if I feed once a day. If I feed a second time, they tend to only eat whatever passes by.

Registered Member

Here is a video of them. Just got five more.

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-18-2016 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Fixed vid

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I fixed your video is it is embedded in your post. Also I do not think these are altums. However I posted your video to a guy who will know for sure. They look like scalare to me but I am not an expert by any means. Nice fish and gorgeous tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks for posting the video Pat. They are most certainly Altums. I don't have a close up pic but I'm quite familiar with angels as I keep several species. I'll update with a better pic when I get a chance.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks for posting the video Pat. They are most certainly Altums. I don't have a close up pic but I'm quite familiar with angels as I keep several species. I'll update with a better pic when I get a chance.
    Yup, you are right. I conferred with Mike and said they are totally altums. Wish my eye was better educated.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

No worries. Thanks Pat for all the assistance!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

BEAUTIFUL TANK!!! What floaters are those? water lettuce??
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

these are totally 100% altums. its easy to tell if they are altums or not. no other fish comes even close to altums. only other angels that resembles a tiny bit of altums are st isabel's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast