AquaticSuppliers.com     Aquatic foods

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79

Thread: Re-doing the fish room.

  1. #16
    Registered Member Cosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,878
    iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Jim

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Liz, one thing that may help, if you decide to paint the racks (I'm assuming wood?), paint them with an epoxy paint. This will make them stand up to the hardships of a fish room. SW HAVE to use epoxy paint in order for their stands to not fall apart.
    wouldn't your want to use treated pine which would preclude painting right away? That had been my thought but I've never built fish room racks before??
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

  2. #17
    Homesteader rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    13,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    wouldn't your want to use treated pine which would preclude painting right away? That had been my thought but I've never built fish room racks before??
    The treated pine may be more expensive than the epoxy? I wouldn't know since I have never used pine personally, but it is a good question.

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread




    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  3. #18
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,210
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Thanks gentlemen. I plan on using treated pine and oil based stain. The biggest problem was that the last guy set a 2x6 slam on the floor instead of using legs. Every time I had a flood the water just sat around the 6x6's and eventually the wood rotted. This time I'll use 4X4 legs. I spoke to John at Jehmco who suggested I set the legs on a shingle of something else impermeable to water. A good idea that hadn't occurred to me.

    The other problem was that the first guy said he was going to build the stands so that everything was supported by wood to the slab. He built them at home and made a mistake in measurements. When he got here he discovered that the 24" wide tanks wouldn't fit the way he's planned to do it so the entire thing is held up by screws alone.

    I've built stands myself before the bad carpenter came along. I have 215 gallons on them that are fine. What with all the work it will take to move fish, and all the muscle it would take to remove and put large tanks back in place, this job is just to much for me. Besides, I'm a slow carptnter. I'd have to take a week off work if I were to do it myself.

    It's too early in the morning for me to up load all my pics but I will when I get off work this afternoon.
    Mama Bear

  4. #19
    Homesteader rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    13,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. I plan on using treated pine and oil based stain. The biggest problem was that the last guy set a 2x6 slam on the floor instead of using legs. Every time I had a flood the water just sat around the 6x6's and eventually the wood rotted. This time I'll use 4X4 legs. I spoke to John at Jehmco who suggested I set the legs on a shingle of something else impermeable to water. A good idea that hadn't occurred to me.

    The other problem was that the first guy said he was going to build the stands so that everything was supported by wood to the slab. He built them at home and made a mistake in measurements. When he got here he discovered that the 24" wide tanks wouldn't fit the way he's planned to do it so the entire thing is held up by screws alone.

    I've built stands myself before the bad carpenter came along. I have 215 gallons on them that are fine. What with all the work it will take to move fish, and all the muscle it would take to remove and put large tanks back in place, this job is just to much for me. Besides, I'm a slow carptnter. I'd have to take a week off work if I were to do it myself.

    It's too early in the morning for me to up load all my pics but I will when I get off work this afternoon.
    always a good idea to make racks in the intended place where they will go. Never know if there is something off in that particular are that needs to be addressed then and there.

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread




    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  5. #20
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,210
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    I know, Ricardo. But this guy guarantees his work. If something ain't right it's on him, not me. If there is a problem he will fix it then and there before he proceeds. Otherwise it will cost him a bundle in lost time. He knows what I want. I will be less trusting than I was of the first guy. This will all be done on my day off and I will be there to trust but verify.

    The last time he worked on the fish room the bad carpenter abandoned me when the entire room was one big leak. Mr sharp fixed it. He had to come back a second time because he missed something. Coming back and fixing it cost him, not me. I was a carpenter's helper once. There ain't nothing harder than fixing a leak and nothing harder than fixing someone else's poor work. My slab is level. There should be no problem with him building the racks at home. Heck, I feel like I'm getting out easy. He quoted me a price of $1000. which I will come up with one way or another before he gets to work. He told me that he was quoting on the high side.

    Mr. Sharp knows how important the fish are too me. He had to Clorox my rafters when he fixed the abomination that the bad carpenter left hanging me out to dry with. He was going to spray the rafters that were covered in black mold. I said, no. That chlorine and fish don't mix. I suggested that he move my fine Jehmco air pump outside and put the Clorox on with a roller. He did it. He also covered all my tanks with visqueen (sp) just in case of drips.

    I was at work when he did this. I saw them finishing up when I got back home. He brought his pre-adolescent grandson with. The kid has a sense of humor. Mr. Sharp said that the kid went to him while he was outside and asked, "Are all those big round fish supposed to be floating on the top on their sides?" Mr Sharp told me he 'bout had a heart attack.\

    Everything will be fine. I have faith and I have sense when I choose to use it. I am less trusting than I used to be. Besides, the auction fish will remain in the kitchen in QT until after this is all done and over with.
    Mama Bear

  6. #21
    Homesteader rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    13,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I know, Ricardo. But this guy guarantees his work. If something ain't right it's on him, not me. If there is a problem he will fix it then and there before he proceeds. Otherwise it will cost him a bundle in lost time. He knows what I want. I will be less trusting than I was of the first guy. This will all be done on my day off and I will be there to trust but verify.

    The last time he worked on the fish room the bad carpenter abandoned me when the entire room was one big leak. Mr sharp fixed it. He had to come back a second time because he missed something. Coming back and fixing it cost him, not me. I was a carpenter's helper once. There ain't nothing harder than fixing a leak and nothing harder than fixing someone else's poor work. My slab is level. There should be no problem with him building the racks at home. Heck, I feel like I'm getting out easy. He quoted me a price of $1000. which I will come up with one way or another before he gets to work. He told me that he was quoting on the high side.

    Mr. Sharp knows how important the fish are too me. He had to Clorox my rafters when he fixed the abomination that the bad carpenter left hanging me out to dry with. He was going to spray the rafters that were covered in black mold. I said, no. That chlorine and fish don't mix. I suggested that he move my fine Jehmco air pump outside and put the Clorox on with a roller. He did it. He also covered all my tanks with visqueen (sp) just in case of drips.

    I was at work when he did this. I saw them finishing up when I got back home. He brought his pre-adolescent grandson with. The kid has a sense of humor. Mr. Sharp said that the kid went to him while he was outside and asked, "Are all those big round fish supposed to be floating on the top on their sides?" Mr Sharp told me he 'bout had a heart attack.\

    Everything will be fine. I have faith and I have sense when I choose to use it. I am less trusting than I used to be. Besides, the auction fish will remain in the kitchen in QT until after this is all done and over with.
    funny kid. I'm glad you are taking these precautions and being overly observant. What's that old saying, "food me once, shame on you...."

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread




    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  7. #22
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,210
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    I have run into a bit of a problem. I have 3 of these. One I'm not worried about because it was not drilled. I hauled 2 of these 150 gallon water storage containers home from the storage area in my shop. One last week, and one today. I used to have these plumbed together using bulkheads and 1" PVC. When I left Mobile didn't want to hang around long as I loaded my stuff so when I took these I just ripped them apart from one another rather than cut the PVC and load them gently. They leak from around the the bulkhead. Part of the problem is that the hole I drilled is not perfectly centered so the new bulkhead doesn't fit perfectly. I could fix that with a bench grinder. there is also the problem that there is a raised area where I'd knocked off a couple of reinforcement pieces. I'm thinking I could grind them down level with a Dremmel.

    Would that be the easiest way to fix the leak or is a way I could close that 1 3/4" hole forever that is easier? Surely there is a way. These are wonderful containers. I need them while my stands are being rebuilt. They're made to keep shrimp alive down on the coast until people buy them. Imagine the fish I could raise in them during the summer months? (Not Discus. I'm think of Anabatoids for them.)DSC_0394.JPGDSC_0393.JPG
    Mama Bear

  8. #23
    Homesteader rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    13,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    From the location the BH is currently in, it doesn't look like it can be drilled larger. However, I see there are other rectangles that are much larger, could you simply patch up the current one and drill and plumb it via another area? What is this material?

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread




    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  9. #24
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,311
    iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Dan

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    I'm not there to see it and get my hands on it, but if I am seeing the problem right, I would grind and sand those broken surfaces under the bulkhead flat and clean it good, then glue another piece of smooth plastic (that has a pre-drilled hole for the bulkhead) onto the surface that is as wide as the space between the walls of the reinforcements. That way the gasket will have a smooth surface to seat against.

  10. #25
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,210
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Guys, you don't understand...I don't need the dang hole nor the dang bulk head at all. I figured that putting another bulk head in and capping it would be the easiest way. I have a bench grinder and a dremmel. I'm pretty sure that silicone will stick to this plastic, but I don't know. I think I can make the bulkhead thing work. If this doesn't work I'll run it up to the lovely glass place down the road. They'll figure out a solution.
    Mama Bear

  11. #26
    Homesteader rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    13,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Guys, you don't understand...I don't need the dang hole nor the dang bulk head at all. I figured that putting another bulk head in and capping it would be the easiest way. I have a bench grinder and a dremmel. I'm pretty sure that silicone will stick to this plastic, but I don't know. I think I can make the bulkhead thing work. If this doesn't work I'll run it up to the lovely glass place down the road. They'll figure out a solution.
    Yeah, so long as it is dry you should be able to silicone it in place from the inside. The pressure will help keep it in place

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread




    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  12. #27
    Platinum Member and Homesteader nc0gnet0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    8,074
    iTrader
    10 (100%)
    Real Name
    Rick

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    What size is the hole? an expandable rubber plug should do the trick

    http://www.instockpoolsupply.com/Ame...FY4lgQod3IQITA

    http://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-d...rain-plug.html
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 04-05-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA

  13. #28
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,210
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    I was hoping in spite of myself that you might show up on this thread, Rick. The hole is 1 3/4" An expandable plug would be perfect if I can find one that fits such a big hole. I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

  14. #29
    Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    6,210
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Do you think that this would work, Rick? http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...4435&catid=701
    Mama Bear

  15. #30
    Platinum Member and Homesteader nc0gnet0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    8,074
    iTrader
    10 (100%)
    Real Name
    Rick

    Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

    Looks like it would do the trick. Is your hole (once you remove the bulk head rubber fitting) pretty round?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

pic of month             AquaticSuppliers.com