AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Re-doing the fish room.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Re-doing the fish room.

Hope everything goes to plan. Looking forward to seeing them back in their tanks some time real soon.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

It ain't going to be a soon as I had hoped. The carpenters worked 1 1/2 hrs past quitting time to get their job done yesterday. Now I have to do my job. The top rack is easy and 3 100's and a 120 are filled with water sponges back in, Magnums on and heaters in. I replaced all my air line because it was getting old and stiff. The guys didn't have to take down the PVC carrying air to the top rack so all I had to do was hook it up. Tomorrow I will move Discus into 2 of the 100's and a whole bunch of Blue Marble Angels into the 120. I may move the Half Black Angels and the Half BlackXBlue Silver's in to the remaining 100, although I'd prefer to keep them separate in 60 wides.

The bottom racks will take a lot of work that I'm not looking forward to. I need to screw the air supply back into place. Perhaps I'll attach it to the wall rather than the underside of the stands like I had it before. That way I won't have my back. I just looked at, and I can do it like that. I also need to hook the water back up. Again the top racks will be easy because all I need to do is replace valves. I believe I'll have to break my back to get the bottom racks done. It will be easier start from scratch than use what used to be there.

Also, I have a lot of pondering to do. I have room now for another 40 cube (I adore those tanks for breeding tanks) and another 60 wide (I adore them for grow out). They are expensive tanks. I'll have to travel to Tennessee to pick them up. And I keep thinking, "Dang Liz, you need to quit spending money like you're made of it."

I'm a slow thinker when it comes to jobs I don't do every day. I sit and stare and the answer generally comes to me while I'm asleep. I always figure it out and get it done, though.

WC has become very time consuming. As it is I am changing water on the outside container using gravity to drain and a sump pump to fill each tank individually. Until I figure out plumbing the water I'm having to do the inside tanks the same way. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I'm actually having fun.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ralph

Looks great Liz and thanks for sharing your re-build. Great space with nice clean plumping layout.
    I only ask that you be careful when working on those top racks until you get water lines hooked....PLEASE.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Sounds like you have a bit on your hands still, but as for as the additional tanks....go for it l say

You only live once

Looking forward to updated pictures when your done

Sorry for no pics. They are here is you want to see them. It's just too much work to post them in more than one place. http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com//i...p?topic=9180.0 Everything takes me longer than I thought it would, but I get it done. When I do and everything works as it should I get this feeling of satisfaction that makes it all worth it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks for sharing that link. It doesn't matter if it takes longer, as long as it is done right and that you're happy with the end result. Good on you.

Enjoying it Liz. Thanks
    -Elliot

Here it is now that I have redone the plumbing for air and water and cleaned the joint up. It took me a solid week to get my part done. Luckily it was a very slow week at work so I was able to come home and work on plumbing. Notice the lovely new valves that I adore. They turn on and off so easily that I don't need to get on the step stool to get the leverage to work them. A lot of the tanks were moved to different places so it was more than a simple matter of hooking stuff that the carpenters had to take down and putting it back.

I'm very happy now. I have waited a long time for this to get done. Carpenter's work is good and my work is good, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looking good Liz

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

It looks beautiful Liz!! I love the seating area. Can you take of close up of the valves you used and how they are installed? Also, how do you have your tanks drilled to drain?
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Really nice.

Sometimes I even sleep down there. The sofa is very comfortable and I have extra long sheets that fit it.

None of my tanks are drilled. I thought about it at one point, but I don't believe it's a WC unless I vacuum the bottom. It bothers me to see fish poo. I use a 1" hose connected to a quiet magnetic pump. Discharge is 1" PVC via a hole through the wall to outside.

In the past I have used slip/slip to connect my valves, but these valves were expensive. I didn't want to have to toss them if I move tanks around again. I hope my pics explain what you want to know. The first to pics are of valves going to the top rack. The last two are for bottom rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Now that's a woman cave
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Now that's a woman cave
    Pat
    It sure 'nuff works for me. I love it. Everything works as it shuold. It is delightful.
    Mama Bear

Looks really nice Liz. Shows you put a lot of thought and work into it. Enjoy!
    Rich

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast