ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Here's How We Bypass Cutting Beef Heart

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Default Here's How We Bypass Cutting Beef Heart

Trimming the fat off of beef heart is not my cup of tea necessarily. Inspired by the Discus Hans recipe, this is how we do it.

https://youtu.be/LdhTwN1mlVw

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Here's How We Bypass Cutting Beef Heart

I've always liked your videos Kathy and have missed you around these parts. How do you feel your discus like this mix over the BH variety? I remember your last video in time-lapse of you trimming the BH's.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

That is very interesting. I have wondered about options to beef heart. BH is advocated for its high protein, low fat quality. But clearly other meats can provide this as well. I have seen others use 95%+ turkey with great results. Thanks for posting.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda466 View Post
    That is very interesting. I have wondered about options to beef heart. BH is advocated for its high protein, low fat quality. But clearly other meats can provide this as well. I have seen others use 95%+ turkey with great results. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks, Yoda466. Interesting idea. I guess you have to cook the turkey?

Registered Member

Why don't you cook the 95% lean meat? Doesn't it still have fat that fish can't process because of the melting point?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
    Why don't you cook the 95% lean meat? Doesn't it still have fat that fish can't process because of the melting point?
    John mentioned to me that he does indeed cook the meat first and drips out the fat.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Would cooking it destroy any nutritional value of the meat?

Registered Member

I'm diving back into the hobby after 20 years & am trying to catch up. Nutrition is primary & I see many of the experienced hobbyists prepare their own foods, yet I can't help but wonder - Can the raw meats introduce pathogens? I am careful to remove uneaten food & perform 40% water changes 5 times a week, but with the 86 degree temps I worry about what might propagate in the canister.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Mimikate View Post
    I'm diving back into the hobby after 20 years & am trying to catch up. Nutrition is primary & I see many of the experienced hobbyists prepare their own foods, yet I can't help but wonder - Can the raw meats introduce pathogens? I am careful to remove uneaten food & perform 40% water changes 5 times a week, but with the 86 degree temps I worry about what might propagate in the canister.
    I can't say I have heard one instance where someone correlated sickness with BH. Maybe if it had been in the freezer for years and then fed? Not sure and I think that would be a stretch.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Well decided to give your beef heart mix a try, just finished mixing a small batch to test out on my 8 new juvies, 2.5" in size. Waiting for it to freeze and hope to feed tonight at 9pm feeding, before 80% WC. Also I added some garlic powder, and used baby food spinach, zucchini, & peas mix. Will let you know the outcome soon.....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Well decided to give your beef heart mix a try, just finished mixing a small batch to test out on my 8 new juvies, 2.5" in size. Waiting for it to freeze and hope to feed tonight at 9pm feeding, before 80% WC. Also I added some garlic powder, and used baby food spinach, zucchini, & peas mix. Will let you know the outcome soon.....
    Looking forward to hearing-- our fish still love it.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

This morning tried new BH mix, total success. Used in my 125G with 13 discus, and the 55G with 8 juvies. After aprrox. 40 mins nothing to siphon up from tanks bottom, the crew eat it all up! Also very little mess in tanks during feedings. All is left is to see how fast my 8 juvies will grow in the next couple of months time. Thanks for info on making this BH mix.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Kathy, how are your penangs doing?

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I've always liked your videos Kathy and have missed you around these parts. How do you feel your discus like this mix over the BH variety? I remember your last video in time-lapse of you trimming the BH's.
    They really love the beef mix. We've made two batches, and they just eat it up. And we have had no problems with non-eating, or constipation at this point. Great success, I would say.