AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stendker grow out and 150G tank build

Real Name
    Dominic

Default Re: Stendker grow out and 150G tank build

Lovely discus! They're growing out just fine!
    My Aquatic Science teacher gave me the nickname "Fish Whisperer" and I didn't get it for nothing!

Real Name
    Ricardo

I think aging is your solution here. Short of that, getting a prefilter and micron sock helps greatly.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ruud

Thanks Dominic, just a bit worried about the growth difference. They are all eating well so hopefully they will catch up eventually.

Yes Ricardo, I think I will have to. I will start looking for an aging barrel.

Week 7 update:

So, I finally have a delivery date for my new 150G tank! Scheduled for the 17th of May. I can’t wait to get them in there, it’s about time. By doing the daily big water changes I can keep the ammonia down, but they need their new home.

I bought some pieces of driftwood last week. I might plant some java fern on it. Now I have to go find some pool filter sand.

Also, had a bit of a screw up this week. After the WC, I forgot to plug in the power of the inner filter pump and heater… Next morning I was amazed about the poop all scattered around the tank when I realised my mistake. Tank dropped to 25C (77F), luckily my discus seemed fine. My worry was the filter, I didn’t know if the bacteria have died or toxins may be released if I switched it back on. So, I did a couple of water changes throughout the day…

Some pics below, can you believe I asked the guy at a LFS if they sold driftwood? LOL

rsz_imag1848.jpghout.jpgIMAG1859.jpg

Real Name
    Dominic

Personally, I would wait until they're full grown adults until I add the sand.
    My Aquatic Science teacher gave me the nickname "Fish Whisperer" and I didn't get it for nothing!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DomiDiscus View Post
    Personally, I would wait until they're full grown adults until I add the sand.
    or driftwood

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Dariusz

It's amazing warehouse with driftwood! Paradise for nature aquascaping

Real Name
    Ruud

Week 8 update:

So, my 150G tank just arrived! Frame will be here on Saturday. Hopefully this weekend I can start building the cabinet and canopy with LED lighting. Will probably take me a couple of weekends.

Now I have to really start thinking about my hardscape. Especially about the amount of stone, wood and sand to put in.

I really appreciate the advice and thoughts from people on SD, provides lifelong learning for the hobby. I know BB tank is the optimal way to go for grow out. However, I am going to take the plunge and raise them in a sand substrate tank. Cleaning will be more difficult, but I think I can pull it off.

150G.jpg

Real Name
    Dominic

Love this driftwood, I hope the process goes nicely! Excited to see how they're gonna grow.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Wow, that tank and wood both look nice..Thanks for sharing.

By the time you get it gets cycled and everything has stabilized it will be week 12...with your WC and feeding they will be touching 4 inch +/-...rave up the feeding if need be...

General question to everyone who is following this thread... if you see few discus from group falling back on growth, do you increase the amount of feeding so that bigger (aggressive ones) get full and runts get to eat peacefully (provided you can siphon remaining food after an hour or so...)...the only concern I see, is that fish will be over fed, appear darker, and less lively...plus excitement about food will go down...what are your thoughts?

Real Name
    Ricardo

That is one gorgeous tank. Did you mention where you bought it from?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ruud

Thanks guys, I am also very pleased with the tank! An aquarium builder built it for me to match the dimensions of my kitchen.

I am cycling a second canister filter in a bucket. So this will speed up the process. When I get my plumbing done I can start right away with enough beneficial bacteria.

Plumbing will be something like I sketched below. I would like 2 inlets (one high, one low) and 2 spraybars/outlets in my tank. Using 4 ball valves allows me to do easy water changes.

Scenario 1: Tank is running normal: Ballvalve 1 open, 2 open, 3 closed, 4 closed.
    Scenario 2: Drain tank using pump: ballvalve 1 open, 2 closed, 3 open, 4 closed.
    Scenario 3: Fill tank: ballvalve 1 closed, 2 open, 3 closed, 4 open.
    Scenario 4: Emergency drain tank: ballvalve 1 open, 2 closed, 3 open, 4 open (siphon effect).

plumbing.JPG

Yesterday, I thought about the placement of the driftwood in the tank. Thoughts? (I like number 1 the most)
    conf1.jpg
    conf2.jpg
    conf3.jpg

Real Name
    Dariusz

I like number 3

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Ruud, I like number 3 too.

Quick question, why are you combining 2 filters when they are individually taking and releasing water directly from tank? I may be missing something here but you combine those 2 inlets and separate them out prior to hitting your 2 filters...if the it is not serving any greater purpose, you are just making your filter dependent on each other and failure of one will result in stopping both...

If the purpose was just WC, then why not keep that system completely separate from filtration?

Thanks,

Dhaval

Real Name
    Ruud

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    Ruud, I like number 3 too.

Quick question, why are you combining 2 filters when they are individually taking and releasing water directly from tank? I may be missing something here but you combine those 2 inlets and separate them out prior to hitting your 2 filters...if the it is not serving any greater purpose, you are just making your filter dependent on each other and failure of one will result in stopping both...

If the purpose was just WC, then why not keep that system completely separate from filtration?

Thanks,

Dhaval
    My thought here was by linking the filters in parallel, I can save plumbing and 4 ball valves. Because they are linked in parallel, when one shuts down, the system will still be in operation only with a lower flow... Or am I wrong here?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by ruudvk View Post
    My thought here was by linking the filters in parallel, I can save plumbing and 4 ball valves. Because they are linked in parallel, when one shuts down, the system will still be in operation only with a lower flow... Or am I wrong here?
    I personally wouldn't do that. Keep them as separate systems. I will ask the obvious question though, did you ever consider going with a sump for this setup? You could have had the tank drilled and made everything a whole lot easier.

Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast